Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Props carpenter needs advice

Props carpenter needs advice

Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Billyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Props carpenter needs advice

Hi i've been working as a props carpenter in the British film industry for many years.
To my regret i did't serve a apprenticeship and have no certificates.
I can get references and have wage slips going back years.
Has anybody been in the same situation or similar and will it be a problem for my TRA.
Many thanks Bllyboy
Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:15 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Props carpenter needs advice

Originally Posted by Billyboy
Hi i've been working as a props carpenter in the British film industry for many years.
To my regret i did't serve a apprenticeship and have no certificates.
I can get references and have wage slips going back years.
Has anybody been in the same situation or similar and will it be a problem for my TRA.
Many thanks Bllyboy
Might be best to get an agent to help you Billy, and as much info regarding training, tools used, projects you worked on etc.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice
Default Re: Props carpenter needs advice

Hi Billyboy

You can go for it without qualifications if you have enough evidence of experience, that's what we were told and by the sounds of it you have, the only thing is, if you are going as a carpenter, you will have to have references that state you have carried out all the different types of work involved as a general carpenter, which you probably have, as references have to state exactly what work you did and how you did it and what tools you used - yes, literally, saw, level, tape measure etc - I kid you not!! In case you are wondering, no neither myself or partner are carpenters, I've just learnt a lot about the process over the last few years.

We got our visas through my partner who trained as a bricklayer, but has been a general builder for quite a few years, but he had to prove that he has been doing purely bricklaying for the past 4 years as they would say any other type of work is not bricklaying and he wouldn't have got the visa! We just had to do what was necessary!!!!

I too think an agent is a good idea as they know exactly how to get you your visa.

Good luck

Poppy