Property Taxes - From AU to UK

Old Oct 11th 2022, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

BleughBleugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property Taxes - From AU to UK

Hi All,
bit of a complex one - I own property in AU,
currently live in UK
BUT , come april, Mortgage relief is fully removed...

who's in a similar situation RE tax? -
simplistically, it looks like i'll be paying 40% of the rental income in tax (which puts me 35% in the red against the mortgage)...

Old Oct 11th 2022, 3:04 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Taxes - From AU to UK

Given the net rental income in Australia is likely to be taxed at non resident rates (no tax free threshold and first $ of rental income taxed at 32.5%) is the change in the deductibility of mortgage interest in the UK a material issue?

Remember also that in the UK you can claim a tax credit for the amount of the mortgage interest x 20%.

Agreed that in the UK tax relief at 40% or 45% on mortgage interest is no longer available.

Best regards.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

BleughBleugh is an unknown quantity at this point

THANKYOU for your reply...

it won't be taxed in AU as it's less than the AU threshold anyway
from what I can make out t's being directly assesed as UK income it seems
i.e. if we have $10,000 AUD in rental income,
deduct $1k of management fees etc
pay 40% on the remaining $9K, so $3,600 directly to UK gov... (or 25% for lower tax bracket earners

But, there seems to be some oddities as to exactly what can be deducted!

Old Oct 11th 2022, 3:39 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BleughBleugh
THANKYOU for your reply...

it won't be taxed in AU as it's less than the AU threshold anyway
from what I can make out t's being directly assesed as UK income it seems
i.e. if we have $10,000 AUD in rental income,
deduct $1k of management fees etc
pay 40% on the remaining $9K, so $3,600 directly to UK gov... (or 25% for lower tax bracket earners

But, there seems to be some oddities as to exactly what can be deducted!
If you are not tax resident in Australia there's no tax free threshold available to you - you are subject to Aus tax on the first $ of your Aus property rental income (after deducting allowed expenses) at 32.5%.

You claim a foreign tax credit on your UK tax return for the tax paid to the ATO.

Best regards.