Reload this Page >

Property in Perth

Property in Perth

Old Mar 20th 2014, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Hairballz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property in Perth

Hi
I'm in the early stages of applying for a job in Western Australia (police).

I'm looking through the forum - there's a lot to read!

I have some property questions though. I don't know where I'd be based after training, but I would like to live fairly close to Perth (maybe within half hours drive). What are some good places to live? I like city life, plenty around, shops, things to do, etc.

I'd be looking at rental initially. I would like a two bed house, with a garage (for motorbike). Does anybody know average rental prices? It would need to be in an alright area (I won't be able to afford a really nice posh area, but given my job especially, I don't want anywhere rough!).

The training centre is in Joondalup, where I'd spend 13 weeks. What's it like, area-wise and price-wise around there?

As for buying, how long do I have to live in Australia / have a job, before I can get a mortgage? Again, with the above in mind, re areas and property requirements, what sort of prices am I looking at?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 20th 2014, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

louie13 is just really nicelouie13 is just really nicelouie13 is just really nicelouie13 is just really nicelouie13 is just really nicelouie13 is just really nicelouie13 is just really nicelouie13 is just really nicelouie13 is just really nicelouie13 is just really nicelouie13 is just really nice
Default Re: Property in Perth

http://reiwa.com.au/home/default.aspx

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy

These two websites might be a good place to start looking for ideas/prices.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It will depend a lot on your budget.

As for buying, banks normally like to see at least three months of pay slips before they will consider.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

Qualifying for a home loan is based on a number of factors: In relation to employment the longer in the job the more loan options available to you. You can get a loan with one days employemnt in some cases. Given that I take it you are one of the UK Pol coming over then this is not an issue as a number of lenders will count your previous UK employment for continuity of employment.

A start point for funds to get into is a 5% deposit. You will also be entitled to the First Home Owners Grant of 3K for exsisting homes and 10K for new or builds. You also get substantial concessions on stamp duty for purchases up to 500K.

I hope the above helps cheers john
Old Mar 21st 2014, 11:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hairballz
Hi
I'm in the early stages of applying for a job in Western Australia (police).

I'm looking through the forum - there's a lot to read!

I have some property questions though. I don't know where I'd be based after training, but I would like to live fairly close to Perth (maybe within half hours drive). What are some good places to live? I like city life, plenty around, shops, things to do, etc.

I'd be looking at rental initially. I would like a two bed house, with a garage (for motorbike). Does anybody know average rental prices? It would need to be in an alright area (I won't be able to afford a really nice posh area, but given my job especially, I don't want anywhere rough!).

The training centre is in Joondalup, where I'd spend 13 weeks. What's it like, area-wise and price-wise around there?

As for buying, how long do I have to live in Australia / have a job, before I can get a mortgage? Again, with the above in mind, re areas and property requirements, what sort of prices am I looking at?

Thanks in advance!
Hi HB (I'm not calling anyone Hairballz!)

To help when you're looking online at rentals - I'm assuming you're from the UK, property descriptions over here are quite different to what you'd be used to. For a property to be called a 'house' over here, it's a fully detached property, usually with a sizable garden. It's possible to get 2 bedroom houses but they're nowhere near as common as 3 or 4 bedroom ones. What you'd term a semi-detatched is a duplex here, and a UK flat is an Oz apartment. Confused yet?

Areas/suburbs - if you're not planning to get a car and drive immediately, then anywhere North or just South of the river would probably do, providing the property is close to good transport links - not all properties are, and often require two or three buses/trains to get from point A to point B. Close to a North of the river railway line would suit you best if you're relying on public transport.

Joondalup - haven't been up there a lot, but have visited a friend a few times and it seems pretty nice. Mostly a newish suburb and I do notice that there seems to be a fair few 2 bedroom apartments for rent, that include a parking space. Rents seems to be around $430 - $450 a week for a 2 bedroom, some with 2 bathrooms. Have a look at the links Louie provided, and for specific info on Joondalup you can look here http://www.realestate.com.au/neighbo...ndalup-6027-wa

Might be best to avoid a long term rental, and certainly best to avoid buying a property, until you know where you'll be stationed. Perth is a small city, but it has a huge suburban sprawl. Not sure if there's a possibility that you'll be posted to the country, if so that's a whole new ball game :-)

I see that Sue has posted a message that the search function is playing up - when that's ok again, if you type 'Perth suburbs' or similar into the search function you'll find a lot of threads debating the fors and againsts of different suburbs.

Best of luck with your planning and don't hesitate to ask questions about specific suburbs if you can't find what you're looking for
Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

if it is short term you might want to share accommodation with someone whilst on the course as an option as this would obviously lower the costs etc until you know where you will be stationed at.

I hope that helps cheers john
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Hairballz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot, that's all helpful.
Yeh I think a share might be best at first. Probably means I'm not going to be able to bring my cat over with me though!! That's something I need to think about.
I'd like a car straightaway, I'm so used to having one, but I realise that may not be possible, so good transport links would be really helpful.

I don't really want to be going to the country, I'm not sure yet if that's going to be something I'm pushed into, whether straightaway or at some point. need to do more research.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

You can pick up a second hand car fairly cheaply and easily. try www.gumtree.com.au for cars

I hope that helps cheers john
Old Mar 28th 2014, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hairballz
Thanks a lot, that's all helpful.
Yeh I think a share might be best at first. Probably means I'm not going to be able to bring my cat over with me though!! That's something I need to think about.
I'd like a car straightaway, I'm so used to having one, but I realise that may not be possible, so good transport links would be really helpful.

I don't really want to be going to the country, I'm not sure yet if that's going to be something I'm pushed into, whether straightaway or at some point. need to do more research.
Going country is not something you will be pushed into during your first few years here and if the last few years are anything to go by, you likely never will
Old Mar 28th 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

I take it you are on the course starting soon - i can confirm that you will need to complete your course before you can apply for a home loan. Again the longer that you are employed after this the more lender options are available to you.

I hope that helps

cheers john