British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Property in Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/property-perth-366390/)

oz1967 Apr 8th 2006 8:55 pm

Property in Perth

We are in the process of emigrating to OZ, However we are unsure of where to go. Our two ares of interests are Perth and Brisbane. I have lived in Perth over 20yrs ago as a teenager and of course like any place it has changed in many ways.

Therefore is it possible to buy a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom for $350 - 400 within of 30mins of Perth CBD and 15 mins of the coast? (decent area)

Just recieved the Western Australian real estate newspaper and property seems to be dearer than Brisbane for similar property.

We are looking at Brisbane areas (Mango Hill, Warner, Alexandra Hills, Birkdale and Thornlands) Can anyone enlighten us on these areas.

Vash the Stampede Apr 8th 2006 9:30 pm

Re: Property in Perth

Originally Posted by oz1967
We are in the process of emigrating to OZ, However we are unsure of where to go. Our two ares of interests are Perth and Brisbane. I have lived in Perth over 20yrs ago as a teenager and of course like any place it has changed in many ways.

Therefore is it possible to buy a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom for $350 - 400 within of 30mins of Perth CBD and 15 mins of the coast? (decent area)

Just recieved the Western Australian real estate newspaper and property seems to be dearer than Brisbane for similar property.

We are looking at Brisbane areas (Mango Hill, Warner, Alexandra Hills, Birkdale and Thornlands) Can anyone enlighten us on these areas.

Regarding your preferred property at your preferred price in your preferred location, the answers for Perth are as follows:

Within 30 minutes of the CBD? Yes.

But also within 15 minutes of the coast? I think not.

Click here for an excellent real estate site which covers the entire country. It should help you to make your decision and/or find the right property. :)

renth Apr 8th 2006 10:29 pm

The median house price in Perth has just gone past $350,000 - it's no longer the place to come for cheap houses.

$350 will get you a reasonable house around Butler or Clarkson, you would be 15 mins from the beach (in a car) and I guess if you hit the freeway outside peak hours you might even hit the city in a bit over 30 minutes. In fact, the train from Clarkson might be in the city in about thirty minutes too.

You'll probably get a decent house in Currambine for the $350,000 - $400,000 range too, which also has a station.

So in answer to your question - yes (for now, could be a different story in 12 months)

worzel Apr 9th 2006 1:07 am

We just bought in Carramar 6 weeks ago. 4 beds, 2 bathrooms, pool, garage, aircon for $368K. It is about 7 mins drive to Joondalup station (Currambine is slightly closer but I can 't buy a paper there) then about 25 mins on the train. We could drive to Burns Beach in about 10 mins but tend to go to Mullaloo which is more like 20. But as Renth said, prices are rising fast. A house similar to ours a few doors down is on the market for about $390K.

movetoperth Apr 9th 2006 1:53 am

Originally Posted by renth
The median house price in Perth has just gone past $350,000 - it's no longer the place to come for cheap houses.

$350 will get you a reasonable house around Butler or Clarkson, you would be 15 mins from the beach (in a car) and I guess if you hit the freeway outside peak hours you might even hit the city in a bit over 30 minutes. In fact, the train from Clarkson might be in the city in about thirty minutes too.

You'll probably get a decent house in Currambine for the $350,000 - $400,000 range too, which also has a station.

So in answer to your question - yes (for now, could be a different story in 12 months)

In Butler and the Sommerly area of Clarkson you won;t have much choice under around the $380k mark, the older area of Clarkson you would but may have to do some work on the house. From both these areas you can be on the beach in 5 mins by car and can walk in around 20 depending which part of the suburb you live in. The train from Clarkson takes just over 30 mins and the drive from Butler to the city (off perak) is 30 mins, Kinross would be another option, you can getinto Kinross for just under the $400k mark now, but prices have risen there by around $40k since the start of the year so as Renth says another 12 months.... who knows.

You will find an up to date list of property prices for all Perth suburbs here http://movetoperth.com/info/suburbs/suburb_browser.html it will also give you distances from the ocean and the city.

Lynn

TraceyW Apr 9th 2006 2:38 am

Look, I don't want to offend anyone but Clarkson is not the best of areas is it? That's why it's cheaper than most. There are some very well kept houses up there, but there are some really rough looking ones. I feel very sorry for the folks who give a damn about their homes.

As the other posters have said, property prices are going crazy here. Land prices have doubled in our area in 18 months. There are people camping out at the moment at the sales office to buy a piece before they rise anymore.

$400k will buy you a house (may need a bit of work) at the moment. Very doubtful it will in 6 months time. The latest financial report states there will be no slow down for the property market. It's stil Boom, Boom, Boom for WA.

sassenach Apr 9th 2006 2:55 am

brisbane is cheaper ,perth is going through a huge boom at the moment where as eastern states is very slow .It could be agood time to buy in brisbane as generally it is more expensive than perth .I was amazed at the choice of homes available in brisbane for reasonable prices 350-400 ,here you will get nothing [perth ] .Real estate is going up by 1000+ a week here ,it cant last ,migrants will be forced east to buy property thus forcing labour costs up in WA fueling inflation then up the rates go and bang goes the property market ,i have seen it all before .The only thing at the moment saving australia from bust is the eastern states arnt booming if that started to boom there would be huge repercussions as people are borrowing heaps and the average mortgage here in wa is over 300000 so even a 1% rise in rates is going to send people to the wall

Perthforme Apr 9th 2006 3:44 am

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Look, I don't want to offend anyone but Clarkson is not the best of areas is it? That's why it's cheaper than most. There are some very well kept houses up there, but there are some really rough looking ones. I feel very sorry for the folks who give a damn about their homes.

As the other posters have said, property prices are going crazy here. Land prices have doubled in our area in 18 months. There are people camping out at the moment at the sales office to buy a piece before they rise anymore.

$400k will buy you a house (may need a bit of work) at the moment. Very doubtful it will in 6 months time. The latest financial report states there will be no slow down for the property market. It's stil Boom, Boom, Boom for WA.

You won't offend me , I've just bought in Clarkson , got a much better house than i ever could afford in UK , its got every thing i could want , 2 mins to beach or bush.
Shops , local ones and the ocean keys shopping centre, buses, train station.
Pub being built as we speak.
I think its fine here , and so do the people who snap up any property that comes on the market asap.
Try buying some land at somerly right now its almost imposible.
I've seen rough before and its not this.
Most of the people i work with live up this way or are trying to get up here and yes the value is part of that draw.

steveyp Apr 9th 2006 10:08 am

I can't agree about Clarkson, most areas are tidier than the majority of Mulaloo, Kallaroo and Hillarys. Relatively new housing with well kept gardens.
Clarkson is being heavily developed with shops, offices and the station complex.
Parts of (but not all) Merriwa and Butler have low income families, but it's a million miles from being rough.
I bought in Kinross late last year, it is very tidy suburb and will link up eventually with Clarkson via Connolly drive. Property is selling fast here and prices seem to be rising daily.

YFitz Apr 9th 2006 10:17 am

Renth, I very much doubt you'll get anything worth having in Currambine for the $350,000 - $400,000 range.
Friend of mine looked at a "do-er up-er" the other week near the station (which is a tad scruffy) to buy as an investment property and he said it was dire. Was on at $365k and still went under offer in a few days. House a few doors from mine gone for $569k (4x2, study and pool) within a couple of weeks and many in the 500-650K range in this weekends paper.

jensteve Apr 9th 2006 12:56 pm

Its still possible to find something in Padbury, had a peek in the paper and yep still a few properties going cheaper. They will probably need some work though and I ahve to say after living there it isn't the quietest of suburbs but you have everything you want there, and is reasonably central.
We are way out at Banksia Grove which I have to say is better than Padbury, its so quiet up here, 20mins to Joondalup, Burns beach 15mins away and a big shopping centre getting built.
Its a good place to buy a first home which you will want to keep as an investment property, its also seconds from carramar which is having a knock on effect with the house prices here, you can just about get something for under $300k but that would be a basic 3x1.
Jenny

Amazulu Apr 9th 2006 3:02 pm

The latest financial report states there will be no slow down for the property market. It's stil Boom, Boom, Boom for WA.

Great isn't it! I think this boom has still got a long way to go, the longer the better IMO.

Lewis Lapthorn Apr 9th 2006 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by jensteve
Its still possible to find something in Padbury, had a peek in the paper and yep still a few properties going cheaper. They will probably need some work though and I ahve to say after living there it isn't the quietest of suburbs but you have everything you want there, and is reasonably central.
We are way out at Banksia Grove which I have to say is better than Padbury, its so quiet up here, 20mins to Joondalup, Burns beach 15mins away and a big shopping centre getting built.
Its a good place to buy a first home which you will want to keep as an investment property, its also seconds from carramar which is having a knock on effect with the house prices here, you can just about get something for under $300k but that would be a basic 3x1.
Jenny

Where are the best schools in these areas. I've heard Clarkson High is a sh!t hole.

Any other ones to avoid?

renth Apr 9th 2006 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
Where are the best schools in these areas. I've heard Clarkson High is a sh!t hole.

Any other ones to avoid?

I mentioned in another post that Padbury High has a good reputation. I personally would avoid the Baptist colleges (Joondalup and Quinns) because I don't want my kids being taught creationism. A lot of parents around here either don't know or don't care.

As for the boom, well, the bigger the boom the bigger the bust. Next month could see an interest rate rise and with fuel going through the roof it's not going to take much to push people over the edge.

Also a situation where people can't either get on the housing ladder or even afford to rent cannot last.

Another cliche: "easy come easy go" a lot of people have made easy money on the property boom, problem is a lot of them have maxed out on borrowing against the new equity. Even a small interest rate rise is going to be enough to hurt these investors big time.

sassenach Apr 9th 2006 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by renth
I mentioned in another post that Padbury High has a good reputation. I personally would avoid the Baptist colleges (Joondalup and Quinns) because I don't want my kids being taught creationism. A lot of parents around here either don't know or don't care.

As for the boom, well, the bigger the boom the bigger the bust. Next month could see an interest rate rise and with fuel going through the roof it's not going to take much to push people over the edge.

Also a situation where people can't either get on the housing ladder or even afford to rent cannot last.

Another cliche: "easy come easy go" a lot of people have made easy money on the property boom, problem is a lot of them have maxed out on borrowing against the new equity. Even a small interest rate rise is going to be enough to hurt these investors big time.

Ominous signs for the west australian economy im afraid ,Its borrow borrow borrow bust bust bust here i saw it in 91 and believe me you cant get ajob anywhere doing anything when this place goes bang, it goes bang big style