Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Property in Perth

Property in Perth

Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:30 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property in Perth

Originally Posted by sassenach
Ominous signs for the west australian economy im afraid ,Its borrow borrow borrow bust bust bust here i saw it in 91 and believe me you cant get ajob anywhere doing anything when this place goes bang, it goes bang big style
This particular boom, like all booms follows a pattern. We're currently in the penultimate stage which is "I've got to get in NOW before I miss out for ever!"

All the other booms have had it from Tulip bulbs, South Sea Island Company shares, Dot COM shares...
Old Apr 10th 2006, 3:26 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
This particular boom, like all booms follows a pattern. We're currently in the penultimate stage which is "I've got to get in NOW before I miss out for ever!"

All the other booms have had it from Tulip bulbs, South Sea Island Company shares, Dot COM shares...
hear ,hear
Old Apr 10th 2006, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Yes I'm in Clarkson too, been here 3 years and would much rather be here with what I can afford and is everything I need, able to enjoy life and not having to worry about paying a huge mortgage.

Please do not be put off living in these areas by people who only know of living in the more affluent suburbs and look down their noses at those less fortunate than themselves. As Perthforme said nowhere here is rough as in "rough" Uk terms. Even if it is just to get you started, then why forgo the chance of life in Perth and all it has to offer.

Merriwa has some of the most gorgeous tropical gardens I have ever seen by the way.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

mikensue will become famous soon enoughmikensue will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DianeOZ
Yes I'm in Clarkson too, been here 3 years and would much rather be here with what I can afford and is everything I need, able to enjoy life and not having to worry about paying a huge mortgage.

Please do not be put off living in these areas by people who only know of living in the more affluent suburbs and look down their noses at those less fortunate than themselves. As Perthforme said nowhere here is rough as in "rough" Uk terms. Even if it is just to get you started, then why forgo the chance of life in Perth and all it has to offer.

Merriwa has some of the most gorgeous tropical gardens I have ever seen by the way.

Does anyone know what is happening south of perth. We are looking at Rockingham and Safety Bay
Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:21 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
Ominous signs for the west australian economy im afraid ,Its borrow borrow borrow bust bust bust here i saw it in 91 and believe me you cant get ajob anywhere doing anything when this place goes bang, it goes bang big style
Very optimistic post
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:08 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Very optimistic post
true though ,if you see some of the s--tholes onthe market for silly money and with wages stagnent the way perth is going you will be lucky to be able to buy a tent in 12 months ,a 1000 a week rise on average in real estate is unattainble and with some burbs going up by 40% in ayear its out of control .Even if you decide to sell like we have you need a minimum of a 100000 extra because of stamp duty and associated costs to stay in the same burb and then there is no guarantee you will get the house you want as vendors are putting a rough price on the house and the agent will just instruct the buyers to put in their legally binding offer and acceptance at the most they can afford ,the vendor will just look at the best bid and take it .At the moment if i was anew migrant i would head brisbane or adelaide and evn melbourne looks affordable now ,perth is way over priced and will crash just like the eastern states did sydney took a 16% drop and parts of adelaide 13%drop but in most part these cities are going up by less than inflation .All this has nothing to do with being optimistic ,if and when new migrants from the uk come here and all they seem to be able to afford is a unit in balga,koondoola,girrawheen ,they will be wondering what hell they have done as all these are state housing areas and have a lot of problems with indeginous and burglarys and car thefts ,these areas seriously are going for 300000 plus now and if you want to get by the coast expect to pay a lot more.Another added problem is all the builders are snapping up reasonable sized blocks with a rubbish house on and putting 3 or 4 units on the same amout of land that used to be good enough for a family ,they are buying at inflated prices and factoring in price rises on completion to make a profit ,i know whats going on i work in construction ,these guys have their contacts within the real estae industry and get first bite at the cherry before you average joe blow gets alook in .A piece of land directley opposite me with two houses on recently sold to a developer for 1.8mil there will be 8 units going on there with no gardens they will sell for excess of 500000 each when sold .

Last edited by sassenach; Apr 10th 2006 at 9:22 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mikensue
Does anyone know what is happening south of perth. We are looking at Rockingham and Safety Bay
check out ray white website or professionals in rocky it will give you and indication of what is happening down rocky way .mandurah and rockingham is the fatest growing area of australia .A friend of mine works in rocky and earnt 38000 in one month flogging real estate and 90000 since sept that is how active the market is .you wont get much change out of 300000-400000 for somewhere decent
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikensue
I live in st Clair, an area of Rockingham, walking distance to the beach. depending on what you can afford, I would look for Secret Harbour and Settlers Hill. Both suburbs are better maintained than the rest, the latter has direct access to the freeway and the new train station will also be very close. A large shopping centre is about to be built there too. Secret Harbour is coastal, in my view ideal when someone has sons because of the excellent surf beach. At the moment a new high school is built there too.

Safety Bay, in my view, is for the older generation, a lot of older properties too. A newer estate in Rockingham is "The Anchorage", closer to the main beach area of Rockingham. The lots are quite small. Personally I don't like to be so close to my neighbour, furthermore grocery shopping is more of a hussle such as Rockingham City Shopping centre, not very appealing.