Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Property Inspection

Property Inspection

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property Inspection

In Victoria, Are Real Estate Agents allowed to inspect a property without the tenant being there. We have had a letter to say they are going to inspection a certain day between 10 - 1. I am quite happy for them to inspect the property but definately want to be here. Can I ask them to inspect it at a time I definately know I will be in? Thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Inspection

They can inspect without you being there.

BB
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:23 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
They can inspect without you being there.

BB
Can they? I always thought they could only inspect without you being there with your consent? otherwise a mutual date and time has to be arranged.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no problems with inspection but dont like someone being here in among my stuff if I am not here. Been broken into here and still a bit wary.

Thanks for replying will just need to make arrangements to definately be in.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:31 am
Account Closed

found this

Your landlord can enter the premises if you
are not home, providing that suitable written
notiļ¬cation has been given. However, it is
recommended that you are at home during
a landlord visit.

from this document

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/libra...or-tenants.pdf
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:34 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Property Inspection

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Can they? I always thought they could only inspect without you being there with your consent? otherwise a mutual date and time has to be arranged.
In the leases with my tenants it just says "The tenant agrees to an initial 3 month inspection and six monthly inspections of the property thereafter."

BB
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:35 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJCS
I have no problems with inspection but dont like someone being here in among my stuff if I am not here. Been broken into here and still a bit wary.

Thanks for replying will just need to make arrangements to definately be in.
Just call them and arrange a mutually convenient time - however you will need to be flexible if you want to be there - eg they are unlikely to do an inspection at the weekends or after 6pm.
If you can't agree a suitable time they will be able to give you notice that they are entering the premises for the purposes of an inspection.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In the leases with my tenants it just says "The tenant agrees to an initial 3 month inspection and six monthly inspections of the property thereafter."

BB
I realise that is the usual agreement, but i was totally unaware they could enter the property without you being there (but it does state that in the above document so you are correct . Fortunately the estate agent and I have always worked out a mutual date and time and i am ALWAYS there for the inspections, the thought of not being there freaks me out a bit.

Been in this property 3 years now and usually we have one inspection from the estate agent and a separate one from the landlord every six months, pissing me off a bit, seriously thinking of renting another place , but the thought of moving eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk. I agree to this to keep them happy in the hope of re-renting but after three years am getting fed-up with three monthly inspections. Its also a hassle arranging the time off work.

p.s to anyone renting or looking for a rental, never, ever, ever rent a place with cream carpets, looks lovely but it has been a complete nightmare and expensive business keeping them clean!

Last edited by Margaret3; Nov 22nd 2012 at 4:48 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

There's new amendment coming into the Residential Tenancy Act (in WA anyway) that specifies they can't make more than 3 inspections in a year. Also, they can't charge you for general wear and tear. Fair enough if you spill red wine on the carpet but general traffic is ok, as long as you pay to have them cleaned when you leave.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Rental inspections is quite profitable for the estate agents so thats why they do them regularly. A quick drive by would tell you if the tenants are trashing the place.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ShoreyM
There's new amendment coming into the Residential Tenancy Act (in WA anyway) that specifies they can't make more than 3 inspections in a year. Also, they can't charge you for general wear and tear. Fair enough if you spill red wine on the carpet but general traffic is ok, as long as you pay to have them cleaned when you leave.
That sounds like a step in the right direction
Old Nov 25th 2012, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I realise that is the usual agreement, but i was totally unaware they could enter the property without you being there (but it does state that in the above document so you are correct . Fortunately the estate agent and I have always worked out a mutual date and time and i am ALWAYS there for the inspections, the thought of not being there freaks me out a bit.

Been in this property 3 years now and usually we have one inspection from the estate agent and a separate one from the landlord every six months, pissing me off a bit, seriously thinking of renting another place , but the thought of moving eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk. I agree to this to keep them happy in the hope of re-renting but after three years am getting fed-up with three monthly inspections. Its also a hassle arranging the time off work.

p.s to anyone renting or looking for a rental, never, ever, ever rent a place with cream carpets, looks lovely but it has been a complete nightmare and expensive business keeping them clean!
I don't think they are permitted to do general inspections every three months. I think you're in VIC, have a look at this link http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/libra...or-tenants.pdf - page 22.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:19 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Property Inspection

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Rental inspections is quite profitable for the estate agents so thats why they do them regularly.
How are they profitable? I don't pay per inspection, it's all part of the % I pay my managing agents.

BB
Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel about having a stranger enter the property without your attendance.

In some ways it does make it easier as you don't need to go out of your way to be there. If something does go missing, in NSW, you can take it to the CTTT and that lot really frown upon landlords and agents who don't respect tenants.

The other way you could look at it is that you don't have the time to hide your valubles and your home insurance becomes invalid if the checker steals or breaks something or fails to lock up properly, so you would rather be there to avoid any trouble. Explain this to the landlord or agents.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:31 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

OK, the law stands that they CAN do an inspection without you being there. BUT, common sense does prevail and simply calling them and arranging a mutually convenient time should be no issue at all. I would also mention the burglary issue too and cite this as a particular reason, it may help them to not start being obnoxious.
As for the periodicity of rental inspections, each State has their own 'guidelines' but look at your agreement before you sign it and ensure you are aware of them. Again, my experience anyway, common sense does prevail and once they get a feel for how you look after the place they tend to slacken off. Our inspections are annually with both the Agent and the Owner, and it always works well like that. Inspections every 3 months when you have been renting for 3 years is just ridiculous and smacks of 'procedure following' and not having any lateral authority. Have a word with them, but as always have the guidelines with you as ammunition if they suggest otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.