Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

property description

property description

Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

The Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of light
Question property description

hello all,
I've just been browsing the rental sites and i see that alot of them are called either a unit or duplex. Can someone tell me what these are. Sorry to be so thick but it just comes naturally to me! Thanks Sue
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

elaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant future
Default Re: property description

Originally Posted by The Bevs
hello all,
I've just been browsing the rental sites and i see that alot of them are called either a unit or duplex. Can someone tell me what these are. Sorry to be so thick but it just comes naturally to me! Thanks Sue
Hi Sue, a duplex is, one plot of land with 2 houses adjoining, like a semi here. I think a unit is what each of these houses are called. Hope that helps.

Elaine xxx
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elaine&graham
Hi Sue, a duplex is, one plot of land with 2 houses adjoining, like a semi here. I think a unit is what each of these houses are called. Hope that helps.

Elaine xxx
A unit is usually a part of a 2-3 storey complex (poor man's apartment ).

Sometimes used to describe a unit in a town house complex.

WW
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

The Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
A unit is usually a part of a 2-3 storey complex (poor man's apartment ).

Sometimes used to describe a unit in a town house complex.

WW
Thanks alot. x
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

elaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=The Bevs]Thanks alot. x[/QU

Glad to be of help

Elaine xxx
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

hello all,
Don't know about other states but in NSW a unit (or 'home unit') is just another word for apartment or flat. Can be in a purpose built block or a converted building.

A duplex is two units in the one building. Usually one on top of the other, but can be side-by-side. They're more desirable than units as there's only ever two of them together - hence duplex. Similarly, a unit in a set of three is called a triplex.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on what State you are in, sometimes even which town you are in as to what a Unit is and what a duplex is....

To me....growing up in mainly Melbourne a unit is a detached single story house of usually only 1-3 bedrooms and there are anything from 2 - 20 units on a block. They share a common driveway but usually have either their own garage or carport and quite often their own back garden.

A duplex is similar although is a semi detached on a block.

But like I said, the explinations will vary so it will depend on where you are looking as to what it means...

Hels
Old Oct 28th 2005, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hels
It depends on what State you are in, sometimes even which town you are in as to what a Unit is and what a duplex is....

To me....growing up in mainly Melbourne a unit is a detached single story house of usually only 1-3 bedrooms and there are anything from 2 - 20 units on a block. They share a common driveway but usually have either their own garage or carport and quite often their own back garden.

A duplex is similar although is a semi detached on a block.

But like I said, the explinations will vary so it will depend on where you are looking as to what it means...

Hels
Thanks for replies
i'm hopefully heading for Bunbury WA. Sue
Old Oct 28th 2005, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for replies
i'm hopefully heading for Bunbury WA. Sue
Hi again Sue,

I lived in perth for 4 years and when I was there a duplex was as I said like a semi and a unit the name for one house sharing a single plot of land with another house. Hope that might clear things up a little.

Elaine xxx