Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Proper Bacon & Real Hams

Proper Bacon & Real Hams

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 6:22 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proper Bacon & Real Hams

There's been a lot of discussion over the availability of unsmoked bacon and hams recently, despite questioning loads of butchers about it's availability I'd drawn a blank. Until now that is A butcher in Tairo [he's famous worldwide for his sausage and smoked meats, apparently] smokes all his own hams, bacon,sausages etc. After asking about buying a ham before he actually smoked it he said that would just be pickled pork and would I like to try some. It's proper cured ham, tastes beautiful and so does the bacon joint we bought. Deb's had her first bacon sandwich for a year and placed an order for a few kilos of the stuff to freeze.
Mystery solved unsmoked ham is just pickled pork, easy to cook as well just boil it in the cryopack bag.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 6:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Proper Bacon & Real Hams

So, on Greengrocer.com.au, where they say: BBQ Steaks, Lamb Chops & Pork Rashers they must be referring to "Unsmoked Bacon"
whereas
Bacon Middle Rashers will be "Smoked Bacon"

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Mystery solved unsmoked ham is just pickled pork, easy to cook as well just boil it in the cryopack bag.
Wish I'd read that before we did the shopping tonight.....must try and sneak out tomorrow and see what I can find.......I'd love a bacon sandwich!
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wish I'd read that before we did the shopping tonight.....must try and sneak out tomorrow and see what I can find.......I'd love a bacon sandwich!
You could always nip out again tonight. Chermside Shopping Centre is open all night again today. Is that near you ?

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:53 am
PommieLeague

Didnt you know that pig meat is bad for you?
There is some real truth as to why God commanded the Jews not to eat due to the high level of bad bacteria, worms, high fat content, high salt content, the fact that pigs eat there own excrement and all sorts of rubbish, and they suffer from more illnesses than humans.
Check for yourselves.

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You could always nip out again tonight. Chermside Shopping Centre is open all night again today. Is that near you ?
Yeah, but I'm reliant on him to drive me there, and I don't think he;d do that for a bit of pork!!!! Theres still tomorrow....
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

stressed out will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lathlain
There is some real truth as to why God commanded the Jews not to eat due to the high level of bad bacteria, worms, high fat content, high salt content, the fact that pigs eat there own excrement and all sorts of rubbish, and they suffer from more illnesses than humans.
Check for yourselves.
Are you a veggi man,if not leave meat eaters alone?? Let them eat pig cow what ever they want,
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

So is drinking alcohol, not drinking alcohol, smoking, sex, coffee, eggs, beef, shellfish, emigration, too little sleep, working too hard, lack of money, and listening to people preaching about whats bad for you........

I'm gonna die of something, and if the last meal I have is a bacon sandwich, I'll die happy!
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

stressed out will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So is drinking alcohol, not drinking alcohol, smoking, sex, coffee, eggs, beef, shellfish, emigration, too little sleep, working too hard, lack of money, and listening to people preaching about whats bad for you........

I'm gonna die of something, and if the last meal I have is a bacon sandwich, I'll die happy!
Good one Pollyana,we are with you on this one.Merry xmas enjoy your pork with you turkey dinner.

Rose :
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:35 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by stressed out
Are you a veggi man,if not leave meat eaters alone?? Let them eat pig cow what ever they want,
No, I love, beef, lamb, chicken, duck, roo, fish, dog, cat, mouse (only joking on last 3)

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:36 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by stressed out
Good one Pollyana,we are with you on this one.Merry xmas enjoy your pork with you turkey dinner.

Rose :
You rebels

tut tut tut

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

No, I love, beef, .................
British beef or English beef ?
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:11 pm

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point

Not meaning to sound thick or anything but where is Tairo? I got back from London yesterday and I am all baconed and sausaged out!!!!Only in the UK for four days, but God did I eat some bacon or wot. Don`t know how long it will be until I taste the real stuff again!!!!!Merry Christmas, regards Louisa
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future

Check for yourselves.
Yes, but doesnt a bacon sarnie just smell the best ,first thing in the morning.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 3:39 am
Home and Happy

Dear Cresta,
I want to live with you and have your babies! YYYAAAYYYYY!!!! Slices of pickled pork, butter, bread, its HEAVEN!!!!!
Thank you thank you thank you (and please thank your butcher too!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.