Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Proof of Uninsured Driver

Proof of Uninsured Driver

Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proof of Uninsured Driver

Hi

My other half has been involved in a motor accident in which our car has been written off. The guy who went into him said at the time that he was driving a work car and that he had no insurance and wasn't insured to drive it etc. Hubby took all details anyway, informed police (who were not interested) and insurance company.

We only have 3rd party with this car (plus the compulsory third party with the rego) and now the insurance company have said that they can't get in touch with the other driver so there's nothing more they can do!! they suggest we take the other guy to the smalls claim court. What the hell do we have insurance for?

This has left us without a car and with no compensation to get another one. I'm fuming!

I've read our PDS today and it says that the insurance company will pay damages up to $3500 from an insured driver but that we have to provide evidence that the driver was indeed uninsured.

Anyway (sorry for the little rant) any idea how we go about proving this?

Thanks for reading ...
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of Uninsured Driver

Bugger, sorry to hear about that. It is one of the major problems with the 3rd party situation in Australia. The driver that hit your car was driving legally even if he had no property damage insurance which seems to be the case here. It is legal for any driver to jump into any car and drive it but unless they have separate insurance they arent covered for damage to another vehicle or property. Your insurance company would have to sue the driver responsible but as you only have 3rd party yourself they wont be interested. The only real option I see is to take it to the small claims court and hope you can get the money that way. It happened to us years ago in Victoria and ended up being a total loss as the other driver wasnt insured, was drunk and had no money.
Best of luck.
My advice would be get comprehensive insurance from now on, that way you take the other driver out of the equation.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I think you're just verbalising what I suspect anyway. That we now have no second car and no funds to buy another one

Yeah, my car is fully comp but his was just a car to get to and from work in the wet season. Only cost $4000 4 years ago so didn't seem worth taking out full insurance. Don't have another few grand to replace it though

Good job we are moving to Melbourne in January where hopefully we won't notice the loss of the second car lol x

Thanks again
Old Nov 5th 2012, 11:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hi

My other half has been involved in a motor accident in which our car has been written off. The guy who went into him said at the time that he was driving a work car and that he had no insurance and wasn't insured to drive it etc. Hubby took all details anyway, informed police (who were not interested) and insurance company.

We only have 3rd party with this car (plus the compulsory third party with the rego) and now the insurance company have said that they can't get in touch with the other driver so there's nothing more they can do!! they suggest we take the other guy to the smalls claim court. What the hell do we have insurance for?

This has left us without a car and with no compensation to get another one. I'm fuming!

I've read our PDS today and it says that the insurance company will pay damages up to $3500 from an insured driver but that we have to provide evidence that the driver was indeed uninsured.

Thanks for reading ...
I would think that if he was driving a company vehicle you could go after the company. Surely they would be insured and the drivers of their vehicles would be on their policy.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

It was just a white ute with no logo etc. The insurance company wrote two letters to the driver but as he has not replied (surprise surprise) to comfirm whether or not he has insurance they won't do anything else.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see this as any different as to how it is in Ireland. If someone doesn't have insurance, you can't claim off them. If you only have third party insurance, your car isn't covered. Unfortunately, it's the risk we take with 3rd party.

Court is the way to go, especially if he has accepted blame and has given you his personal details.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Are there any witnesses?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:51 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I don't see this as any different as to how it is in Ireland. If someone doesn't have insurance, you can't claim off them. If you only have third party insurance, your car isn't covered. Unfortunately, it's the risk we take with 3rd party.

Court is the way to go, especially if he has accepted blame and has given you his personal details.
In Ireland are you legally allowed to drive a car with absolutely no property insurance ?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:09 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige

Originally Posted by chris955
In Ireland are you legally allowed to drive a car with absolutely no property insurance ?
No, you aren't, but, if they do it any way, it can leave you up the creek. Even if they are prosecuted for the driving offence, it doesn't get you any money. That part of the incident is a civil debt, not a criminal / traffic act one.

On the mainland there is a govt. pool of dosh to cover this type of event.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
No, you aren't, but, if they do it any way, it can leave you up the creek. Even if they are prosecuted for the driving offence, it doesn't get you any money. That part of the incident is a civil debt, not a criminal / traffic act one.

On the mainland there is a govt. pool of dosh to cover this type of event.
That is the same as anywhere, at least if property insurance was compulsory you would have a far greater chance of getting something, as it is in Australia you get the situation with loads of young drivers in big cars with no insurance.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

If the person who caused the accident only has 3rd party insurance you are covered are you not ?,You are the third party

Has he admitted liability if so you should be able to take legal action,if not against him then with the company he is working for or did he take the ute without permission even so the company must be insured for events like this.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:11 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tim65
If the person who caused the accident only has 3rd party insurance you are covered are you not ?,You are the third party

Has he admitted liability if so you should be able to take legal action,if not against him then with the company he is working for or did he take the ute without permission even so the company must be insured for events like this.
If the driver was 'uninsured' (ie using the CTP only) then this only covers personal injury to another party, not damage to property or cars.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:00 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hi

Thanks for reading ...

Can't help with the insurance Jilliebee. Thought I would ask if your husband is okay?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, he's fine thanks.

No witnesses. They guy gave his info willingly but as I said, he told my OH straight away that he had no insurance.

The guy at our insurance company recommended we put in a complaint if we were not happy at what they were doing (or not doing) so we did. They have now appointed an investigator to see if he can confirm the position with the other guys insurance. Will look at small claims court once our insurance company make a decision.

Thank you for all your comments
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tim65

The problem is that a surprising number of people driving in Australia think that the CTP insurance you pay for with your registration is actually third party property insurance when it actually only covers injury. It's a bit scary how many think they are driving fully insured.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.