Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Proof of active job search for STNI?

Proof of active job search for STNI?

Old Feb 22nd 2003, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

be2oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Proof of active job search for STNI?

Hi All,

Just received STNI application form from VIC. All seems quite straight-forward apart from Question 5 (Job Prospects):

"Have you started searching for a Job yet? [Yes/No] ....
If 'yes', could you please provide feedback on the results of your search. Please include comments from employers for supporting documents if available"

I understand that VIC SMU will favour applicants that can show that they are already actively researching the job market, and show some commitment to settling in Victoria. My question is, do they really expect us to have already started looking for jobs when it'll be at least another 6 months before we even get visas (and probably Xmas before we arrive )? I have already started looking at the job market (doing job searches via http://www.seek.com.au for example), but am not sure if there's much point in applying for jobs yet, since employers are highly unlikely to wait for 9 months for my arrival in oz...

Does anyone have any experience of:

(a) How to approach employers in order to set up interview/job offers with a 6 month+ lag-time
(b) Filling in Question 5. on the Vic STNI application.
(c) Providing the documentary evidence to prove that you've made a job search

Any feedback or suggestions would be very welcome.

P.S. One other question: Question 12 asks:

"Do you or your spouse have friends and/or relatives currently living in Victoria or elsewhere in Australia?"

I have an uncle in Cairns, but we don't plan to live there (IT market is much smaller and it's a bit out in the sticks..). Will it count against us that he's not living in Vic?

Thanks in advance,
be2oz

Last edited by be2oz; Feb 23rd 2003 at 5:53 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

GundamWing is an unknown quantity at this point

i think very difficult to find any IT job in Victoria. Has anyone (offshore) apply any IT jobs in Net and got job offer.

Last edited by GundamWing; Feb 22nd 2003 at 5:37 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure about the job search question
maybe quoting a few of the sites you've looked at on the internet / newspapers etc might help??
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Proof of active job search for STNI?

Originally posted by be2oz
Hi All,

Just received STNI application form from VIC. All seems quite straight-forward apart from Question 5 (Job Prospects):

If 'yes', could you please provide feedback on the results of your search. Please include comments from employers for supporting documents if available"

I understand that VIC SMU will favour applicants that can show that they are already actively researching the job market, and show some commitment to settling in Victoria. My question is, do they really expect us to have already started looking for jobs when it'll be at least another 6 months before we even get visas (and probably Xmas before we arrive )? I have already started looking at the job market (doing job searches via http://www.seek.com.au for example), but am not sure if there's much point in applying for jobs yet, since employers are highly unlikely to wait for 9 months for my arrival in oz...

(a) How to approach employers in order to set up interview/job offers with a 6 month+ lag-time

"Do you or your spouse have friends and/or relatives currently living in Victoria or elsewhere in Australia?"

I have an uncle in Cairns, but we don't plan to live there (IT market is much smaller and it's a bit out in the sticks..). Will it count against us that he's not living in Vic?

Thanks in advance,
be2oz
As part of your research - I suggest you list the main recruitment sites - and 'take copies of similar jobs currently in circulation and 'quote' back to them information from their own skills shortage surveys if appropriate to your own case (see attached) -What they are looking for is evidence there is a demand for your skills - and that you stand a good chance of employment.

As things stand it will be difficult to get a 'forward offer' - but keep in contact, I may be able to help.
Attached Files
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks kevmitch ,

ICT skills shortage report is very instructive ... I see that Victoria is actually the hardest place to find IT work (they same to have very few ICT shortage areas, compared to Queensland for example). Maybe we should also look at other areas for STNI?

Does anyone know if any other states, apart from Vic and SA are involved in the STNI program?

Cheers,
be2oz
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks kevmitch ,

ICT skills shortage report is very instructive ... I see that Victoria is actually the hardest place to find IT work (they same to have very few ICT shortage areas, compared to Queensland for example). Maybe we should also look at other areas for STNI?

Does anyone know if any other states, apart from Vic and SA are involved in the STNI program?

Cheers,
be2oz

apparently Tasmania is about to / may be already doing STNI
nowhere else yet
Old Feb 24th 2003, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

GundamWing is an unknown quantity at this point

it is extremely difficult to find a IT job in Vic and overwhelming response to the advertisement
Old Feb 24th 2003, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proof of active job search for STNI?

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,
be2oz

The way I answered these questions (and I was successful with my STNI) was to indicate all of the internet job search engines I was using to keep an eye on the job market for my particular skill set.. They aren’t daft at Vic Gov, its all just a case of showing (or attempting to) that you are not going into Victoria blind to the situation there. If you can show that you have friends, relatives there and that you have a fair idea of the job market based on what you see on the search sites etc, it shows - as much as you can do- that you are actively keen to live and work in Victoria and not just jumping on the STNI wagon for a quick way in to Australia.

As for the friends bit, I was able to say that I had made many mates in Melbourne whilst I had been over there during my 6 months holiday in Victoria, and also had many mates that I had met whilst they were working in the UK, some of these lived in Sydney though and the Vic Gov person suggested that I didn’t mention the friends in Sydney, just stick to those known in Victoria.

Hope this helps, only my gut feeling and what I was told when I had a chat with them in their offices in Melbourne.

Joe
Old Feb 24th 2003, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Great response Joe,

Thanks for your advice re. referring to search engines etc.

About having friends family in Melbourne, well I've never been there but I've friends here who have been and have liked it a lot. I guess I should mention that. Otherwise, I only have one relative in oz, and he lives in Cairns - on the form it asks specifically if I have relatives in oz, so I'd better not lie Will it count against me if I have an Uncle in Cairns ...?

Cheers,
be2oz
Old Feb 24th 2003, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

Great response Joe,

Thanks for your advice re. referring to search engines etc.

About having friends family in Melbourne, well I've never been there but I've friends here who have been and have liked it a lot. I guess I should mention that. Otherwise, I only have one relative in oz, and he lives in Cairns - on the form it asks specifically if I have relatives in oz, so I'd better not lie Will it count against me if I have an Uncle in Cairns ...?

Cheers,
be2oz
Hey I wouldn't count it against you... Cairns is a great place to holliday - I'd just say that.

Like I said, the advice I was given was that the board look for anything that will support the fact that you have the skills and the interest in Victoria.
You don’t enter into a contract with them to live in Victoria, so I think they are just trying to gauge the probability of you staying in the state. I think the STNI scheme is a great idea and it certainly solved a major problem for me. I think as long a you can say , hand on heart, that you will give Victoria at least two years of your time, then go for it.