Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Professional copuple moving in Nov/Dec - Opinions on cities

Professional copuple moving in Nov/Dec - Opinions on cities

Old Mar 20th 2021, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional copuple moving in Nov/Dec - Opinions on cities

Originally Posted by poida
Agree the further out you live is a trade off between cost and lifestyle. I think if I hadn't have worked for a large bank in the CBD I wouldn't have spent as much time enjoying the city. I've lived in Perth and Melbourne, I found that most of the Melbourne suburbs have retained their traditional high street with plenty of cafes and boutique shops, where as Perth you need to live inner city such as Subi, Leederville, Mt Lawley, Vic Park/South Perth or Freo to get the same sort of high street experience, further out retail is mostly restricted to large shopping centres.
Perth inner city areas you mention have suffered rather considerably over recent years. Empty shops galore. I live in Leederville and while would most unlikely ever swap it for a suburb it does have its limitations. High rents have a lot to do with empty premises . But great to be able to walk to a few pubs and restaurants, as well as being one train stop from the central city. Subi and Freo much the same. Never been a fan of Vic Park much but South Perth has a lot going for it.
But can't really compare with Melbourne obviously. They improved their city from what it was in the eighties no end. It would be my choice if arriving in Australia and wondering which city for lifestyle pursuits.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Scoosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Professional copuple moving in Nov/Dec - Opinions on cities

The upshot is, my recommendation is to get a place with air conditioning, you will definitely need it even just for those odd days. If it’s reversible then it will come in handy in winter too! Otherwise invest in a good portable heater and electric blanket!

All the best
Air-con is non negotiable!

Last edited by Scoosh; Mar 20th 2021 at 6:10 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Professional copuple moving in Nov/Dec - Opinions on cities

Originally Posted by themerlin
Who actually goes to the beach that often
Melbourne can get hot but not for long and I don't think it gets humid, Brisbane is hot and humid everyday for 3 months but the rest of the years the weather is great.
Interesting... it looks like the annual rainfall for Brisbane is quite high, does it rain often or just in large amounts whenever it does?
Old Mar 20th 2021, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well, I suppose people have different perceptions!
I'm also Scottish (east coast...so the dry part!) but I lived in Glasgow for 4 years. I remember my first winter there...the rain did not stop!
Anyway, winters are a non event for me...I prefer summer and autumn for sure. Terrible winds aren't really something I associate with winter...obviously they happen from time to time.
Anecdotally...the early part of winter is often quite sunny. I actually think early spring can be the gloomiest time of the year...and it can feel like winter just dragged on an extra month or so.
I guess some people might say that moving to Aus you have the potential to basically give winter the flick altogether. I lived in Brisbane for 5 years and the winters are amazing. Some people think it's unbearable in summer there...I don't really agree...I would just recommend an A/C in the bedroom for when you need it.

For the type of work you do...Melbourne is full of company HQs, with PMOs running agile (or traditional) projects. Every Australian state also has an abundance of state and local government employers.
Thanks again, very useful!
Old Mar 20th 2021, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rammygirl

For corporate jobs especially without Australian experience in Adelaide you will struggle. A neighbour of ours who moved from Sydney took over a year to get a gig and then only because my OH introduced him! Once he got that first project he was away but........

The weather here is better than Melbs, dryer.
Thanks, we had a similar issue in Toronto. Was out of work for 8 months when we got there (covid hit not long after and everything shut down), total disaster
Old Mar 20th 2021, 9:04 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scoosh
Interesting... it looks like the annual rainfall for Brisbane is quite high, does it rain often or just in large amounts whenever it does?
Brisbane has a wet season...summer. Afternoon storms are common and can be VERY intense. 50 - 100mm of rain could fall in a good session. In a bad session they'll come with giant hail and crazy winds...it's all good fun!

Sydney is somewhat similar...most rain falls in summer. They've had about 110mm the past 24 hours and parts of NSW further north are currently under water.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Air-con is non negotiable!
I don't have air-conditioning.... don't like it, don't need it, have no intention of ever getting it. ..... I have very nice ceiling fans in the bedrooms that lightly waft a breeze over you and keep natural air circulating...... Sydney.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

poida is an unknown quantity at this point

Something else you should know about Melbourne, hook turns!

Just remember, two wrongs don’t make a right, but three lefts do, and it helps avoid a hook turn.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 12:01 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It will piss it down in short bursts, it normally rails when it's hot in summer.

Old Mar 22nd 2021, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget Canberra. If you are looking for APS work then Canberra is the place to be. Weatherwise it is quite nice and seasonal and it's not a big city, more of a large town, but with plenty to do - lots of city centre apartment living if that is what floats your boat, otherwise the suburbs dont go on nearly as boringly far as they do in Sydney or Melbourne. Close enough to Sydney, loads of beaches or the snow to go for a day trip.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

The latter. Storm season, most years, is roughly from mid-November to late January (which is not to suggest that that entire period will be stormy, mind you--much of it is great beach weather).

As you've surmised, the storms involved can indeed be spectacular: intense rain, intense lightning, occasionally hail.

To me, when I lived there, those storms were glorious, life-affirming events, and the community response reminded me of my later childhood years in Canada, when an intense blizzard would bring out an entire neighbourhood to help everyone cope with the snow. (But, as my wife reminds me, that may be a minority take on the situation... ;-) )

The rest of the year features some of the nicest, sunniest, and most consistent weather available anywhere in expat-land (maybe San Diego is close).

Last edited by abner; Mar 22nd 2021 at 7:08 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree the further out you live is a trade off between cost and lifestyle. I think if I hadn't have worked for a large bank in the CBD I wouldn't have spent as much time enjoying the city. I've lived in Perth and Melbourne, I found that most of the Melbourne suburbs have retained their traditional high street with plenty of cafes and boutique shops, where as Perth you need to live inner city such as Subi, Leederville, Mt Lawley, Vic Park/South Perth or Freo to get the same sort of high street experience, further out retail is mostly restricted to large shopping centres.
I agree with your comments about Perth ..you could add Applecross and Adross they are not bad for cafes and deli's...the trouble though is with the areas you mentioned you need serious money to buy or rent in those subs.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I agree with your comments about Perth ..you could add Applecross and Adross they are not bad for cafes and deli's...the trouble though is with the areas you mentioned you need serious money to buy or rent in those subs.
Good point. I think this is a general problem and the OP should be made aware that all cities mentioned here might not be much different when it comes to this:
  • We lived in Toronto previously and did not find the pay or standard of living made up for the COL, so looking to avoid that scenario again if possible (I am aware of the high COL in Oz but would like to get the most bang for our buck)
You can argue about weather and while the one place is sunny, it gets dark too early and the other place is too hot, then add in changing weather patterns etc. I would look at my personal situation and if it's about lower housing costs, maybe a move to another larger city is not the way forward? Unfortunately there aren't too many mid sized cities like you get in Europe, apart from maybe Canberra and Hobart. Ironically Hobart never seems to be mentioned.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Professional copuple moving in Nov/Dec - Opinions on cities

Something else you should know about Melbourne, hook turns!

Just remember, two wrongs don’t make a right, but three lefts do, and it helps avoid a hook turn.
Ooooft thanks for the heads up on that one... WTH?
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
They've had about 110mm the past 24 hours and parts of NSW further north are currently under water.
Crazy! Pretty sure thats what we get in an entire bad month!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.