Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Production Engineer/ CNC programmer jobs for a 50 yr old.

Production Engineer/ CNC programmer jobs for a 50 yr old.

Old Jun 29th 2013, 3:12 pm
Jin
Just Joined

Jin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Production Engineer/ CNC programmer jobs for a 50 yr old.

Hi my OH is a production Engineer ( CNC programmer ) We have permanent residency visa's which will run out soon. My question is what are the chances of him getting a job at his age of a young 50? We are looking at Brisbane , Melbourne areas. We got the visa because he was on the job shortage list at the time but only as a CNC machinist. Any help would be great.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 7:51 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Production Engineer/ CNC programmer jobs for a 50 yr old.

Originally Posted by Jin
Hi my OH is a production Engineer ( CNC programmer ) We have permanent residency visa's which will run out soon. My question is what are the chances of him getting a job at his age of a young 50? We are looking at Brisbane , Melbourne areas. We got the visa because he was on the job shortage list at the time but only as a CNC machinist. Any help would be great.
Keep an eye on seek.com.au. Usually found in manufacturing, transport and logistics.

http://www.seek.com.au/jobs-in-manuf...ck&searchType=

Plus side he is on the shortage list. Sorry to be blunt, but on the downside would be his age and lack of Australian experience (both a big negitive to some employers).
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:04 am
Jin
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply, we are in a dilemma as OH has a good secure job here in the UK and I also work part time, we know that if we dont go now, we prob will not make the points again.But looking at CNC machinist wages, and looking at prices in OZ, it is worrying.We cannot seem to find the name of the job that is the equivalent to a production engineer here in UK. Thanks again. Jin
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Not really relevant but its currently very quiet in Sydney.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:08 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jin
Thanks for your reply, we are in a dilemma as OH has a good secure job here in the UK and I also work part time, we know that if we dont go now, we prob will not make the points again.But looking at CNC machinist wages, and looking at prices in OZ, it is worrying.We cannot seem to find the name of the job that is the equivalent to a production engineer here in UK. Thanks again. Jin
Hi Jin,

Just because your visa was issued as CNC machinist, doesn't limit you to working in that role if you have skills and experience in other areas
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:24 am
Jin
Just Joined

Hi, I know but looking on the jobs available, there doesn't seem to be be anything apart from CNC machinist's, and not many of them as well. Maybe production engineering comes under a different job title in OZ. Would it be wise to just send CV off to recruitment companies? Time is running out as visa expires end of Aug!!!.We have no mortgage so would just rent house out, I guess it is the unknown that worries me as even tho we have savings, its a bit daunting thinking OH at 50 might not be able to get a job, savings run out and we have to come back to no jobs.!! ( I expect you have heard this all before.) Jin
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jin
Hi, I know but looking on the jobs available, there doesn't seem to be be anything apart from CNC machinist's, and not many of them as well. Maybe production engineering comes under a different job title in OZ. Would it be wise to just send CV off to recruitment companies? Time is running out as visa expires end of Aug!!!.We have no mortgage so would just rent house out, I guess it is the unknown that worries me as even tho we have savings, its a bit daunting thinking OH at 50 might not be able to get a job, savings run out and we have to come back to no jobs.!! ( I expect you have heard this all before.) Jin
I must admit, I haven't found a job yet - we've been here 12 weeks but electrician is a licensed trade, and there's a few hoops to jump through. I also managed to obtain a career break from my employer in the UK - is this an option for your OH?

I did a quick search on seek, using keyword production, and in engineering for all Australia and got 366 results - results here - if that helps
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

The difference between here and the uk is that almost every cnc machinist is also a programmer here. And unless you have a degree in engineering you have no right to call yourself an engineer, only a technologist unlike the uk where if you are vocationally qualified you can apply to be an incorporated engineer. I read a long thread about it previously but I cant seem to find it.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:56 am
Jin
Just Joined

Smile Re: Production Engineer/ CNC programmer jobs for a 50 yr old.

Hi Martin and Old Sparkles
Thanks for your help. OH was time served to HNC . He is actually office based and writes the programs for the machines, proves them etc and has been abroad many times to buy the machines for company etc. We went to an migration exhibition in Bristol about 18 months ago and spoke to a man who said there would be no problem oh getting a job with his experience, we had his card but his mail is not valid anymore. Maybe its just starting back at bottom and working back up, I don't know lol. Jin
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:58 am
Just Joined

amorris2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've came here in NSW, 2004 as a CNC machinist. Now in tool sales. but to be quite honest. I'd stay in the UK, as the arse has fell out of the manufacturing here at present. Also most of the machine shops have very substandard facilities, compared to the UK. Old machines/tooling, no heating/cooling/decent lighting and the smaller shops expect their CNC machinists to Cad/Cam program as well.
Add to that only 20 days leave and 10 days sick a year and the UK is far superior. Wish I'd never bothered.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 7:53 am
Jin
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply, thats what I have been worried about!!! Can you give me some indication of the wage for a cnc machinist in Oz.? OH is on approx £35,000 here in UK so dont want to move to OZ and find we are a lot worse off!!.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:04 am
Just Joined

amorris2 is an unknown quantity at this point

CNC Machinist here, is from approx $48000 to $60000 a year. You can get more in some Mining areas, but it costs more to live there. So outways the extra salary. I was on $60000, in Wodonga Vic, which is considered good for CNC machining. But I had been there 5 years and the wage went up after that. Prior to five years, its $58000. Have a look on Seek.com.au
Old Jul 8th 2013, 6:56 am
Jin
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies, the wages do seem low compared to UK, and that is worrying because I have read that you need to earn approx 2 and half x what you earn in UK to keep same standard. Is this correct. Many Thanks Jin
Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

That is correct. Aus is sooooo expensive. I'm glad I came back to the uk now to be honest..
Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Jin
Thanks for all your replies, the wages do seem low compared to UK, and that is worrying because I have read that you need to earn approx 2 and half x what you earn in UK to keep same standard. Is this correct. Many Thanks Jin
Depends where you are moving from, and where you are moving too. I personally don't find it that expensive - but everyone is different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.