Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Process for buying a car

Process for buying a car

Old May 12th 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

easygroove is on a distinguished road
Default Process for buying a car

Whats the process?? Obviuously have some money/finance ready, but how does the pink/green slip thing work? When and what does Rego involve? Are the NRMA checks necessary/worthwhile?

If anyone has any tips it would be most useful.

Cheers

easy
Old May 12th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Re: Process for buying a car

Originally Posted by easygroove

Whats the process?? Obviuously have some money/finance ready, but how does the pink/green slip thing work? When and what does Rego involve? Are the NRMA checks necessary/worthwhile?

If anyone has any tips it would be most useful.

Cheers

easy
Our experience was the "miracle mile" in Brisbane, loads of car lots!! We found a little Hyundai Excel, nothing flash and after some bartering got it for $7000.
This included the $500 approx of government charges.

Compulsary third party insurance is included with the rego, and that only covers injury to third party. The rego. itself was sorted out for us by the garage, but gave us a temporary rego. while we waited for the permanent green sticker from Queensland Transport.

Not sure about NRMA checks, but think it's the equivalent to the RACQ checks. So if you don't much about cars, it's a good bet!

You should receive when you buy a car:
a receipt, copy of the safety certificate (MOT equiv.) copy of purchase contract, cooling off period and statuatory warranty if applicable, and REVS certificate (this shows no outstanding finance on the car)

Hope this helps a little.
Old May 12th 2005, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by logan
Our experience was the "miracle mile" in Brisbane, loads of car lots!! We found a little Hyundai Excel, nothing flash and after some bartering got it for $7000.
This included the $500 approx of government charges.

Compulsary third party insurance is included with the rego, and that only covers injury to third party. The rego. itself was sorted out for us by the garage, but gave us a temporary rego. while we waited for the permanent green sticker from Queensland Transport.

Not sure about NRMA checks, but think it's the equivalent to the RACQ checks. So if you don't much about cars, it's a good bet!

You should receive when you buy a car:
a receipt, copy of the safety certificate (MOT equiv.) copy of purchase contract, cooling off period and statuatory warranty if applicable, and REVS certificate (this shows no outstanding finance on the car)

Hope this helps a little.
Did you need any sort of customer number (or similar) from the RTA to actually buy the car? I've heard this is the case if you don't have an AUS driving licence?. We are keeping our UK ones as there seems little point in paying for the NSW licence when the UK one is acceptable.

easy
Old May 12th 2005, 11:38 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Did you need any sort of customer number (or similar) from the RTA to actually buy the car? I've heard this is the case if you don't have an AUS driving licence?. We are keeping our UK ones as there seems little point in paying for the NSW licence when the UK one is acceptable.

easy
But i think i'm right in saying only for 3 months?? Also your car insurance premiums are way higher if you don't have an Aussie licence.
Old May 12th 2005, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hevs
But i think i'm right in saying only for 3 months?? Also your car insurance premiums are way higher if you don't have an Aussie licence.
No, in NSW, there are no requirements for temp residents (even those on 4 year working visas) to obtain an aus licence, providing you have a GB, US Swedish etc licence. If you become a premanent resident, then you need to get an aus licence.

easy
Old May 12th 2005, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

easy
We did need a customer no. and we got that from the same place where you sit your tests etc.
Old May 12th 2005, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Another question on cars! We have already bought a car but wondered do we not get a "log book" like you get from DVLA in uk? The registration reminder has come through so they know we own the vehicle but should we not have a separate piece of paper other than the original receipt??
Thanks for your advice,
Pootle
Old May 13th 2005, 12:06 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

No, in NSW, there are no requirements for temp residents (even those on 4 year working visas) to obtain an aus licence, providing you have a GB, US Swedish etc licence. If you become a premanent resident, then you need to get an aus licence.

easy
sORRY DIDN'T REALISE YOU WERE TEMP. i'D DEFINATLY CHECK YOU INSURANCE THOUGH
(sorry to shout) Ours was $120 more until i got my licence (may be different in NSW, visa class etc)
Old May 13th 2005, 7:06 am
Badge

Originally Posted by hevs
sORRY DIDN'T REALISE YOU WERE TEMP. i'D DEFINATLY CHECK YOU INSURANCE THOUGH
(sorry to shout) Ours was $120 more until i got my licence (may be different in NSW, visa class etc)
Nice one Hevs..

one of the things that is a annoyance is the way everyone has a different story. I'd love to know how these companies work, how they really calculate things.

if it wasn't for passed on stories noone would never know anything.

Badge

Old May 13th 2005, 7:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Nice one Hevs..

one of the things that is a annoyance is the way everyone has a different story. I'd love to know how these companies work, how they really calculate things.

if it wasn't for passed on stories noone would never know anything.

Badge
In WA you also get a bill in the post for the stamp duty, even on a second hand old banger!!
Old May 13th 2005, 7:50 am
Badge

Originally Posted by renth
In WA you also get a bill in the post for the stamp duty, even on a second hand old banger!!
you do indeed. I got one for 50 bucks.

Badge

Old May 13th 2005, 8:39 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Badge
you do indeed. I got one for 50 bucks.

Badge
And don't forget you pay GST on your car insurance oh! and on top of that they then add??? STAMP!!!! Its great being taxed twice for the same thing