Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Probs with landlord after moved out...

Probs with landlord after moved out...

Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:54 am
Just Joined

scotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nice
Default Probs with landlord after moved out...

Hi all,

Hoping somebody on here can give me some advice.

We left our rental property 2 weeks ago and after a joint inspection, received our bond back in full a few days later. The estate agents have since been in touch (you could almost call it harassment, especially to begin with until we replied!) to say that the owner wants to charge us with theft as the appt came with a TV which has now gone. There was no tv there when we moved in and it wasn't on the inventory, hence why we got our bond back with no probs. However, they are now saying the appt came with a tv, that the owner has a receipt and have produced a picture of the TV in the appt, which is dated the day before we moved in!!

What rights do they have to continue to ask questions and pursue this given we have got our bond back after a joint inspection and we have already told them there was no tv there when we moved in?

I expect the Police will turn up on our doorstep at some point but we have nothing to hide, just fed up with the hassle, which shouldn't surprise us as they were completely awful to deal with throughout our 12 month tenancy.

Would appreciate other thoughts and advice on how we can get them to go away!

Cheers
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probs with landlord after moved out...

Go to the tenants rights organisation in your state for advice.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice from JAJ.
Good luck, sounds awful but you have your money back so tell them to get stuffed!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:54 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Great advice from JAJ.
Good luck, sounds awful but you have your money back so tell them to get stuffed!
I think the landlord is trying to pull a fast one. He might be the one getting knicked for fraud.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If it wasn't on the inventory then they really have no claim against you and if they sent the police around I think it is they that would be accused of wasting police time. It is easy enough to change the date in a camera, doesn't prove a thing.

If they start to harrass you in other ways then I think it is you that can go to the police.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

in what way was the photo dated anyway - it's easy enough to change the date on a camera so it proves nothing.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

The TV wasn't on the inventory, which presumably was signed by the landlord/agent, and you have got your bond back presumably after the inventory was checked. End of. There is no legal basis for them to keep pursuing you - tell the next person who phones you that you consider what they are doing to be harassment and you will contact the police yourself to make a complaint if they don't stop.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:11 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotsnewbies
Hi all,

We left our rental property 2 weeks ago and after a joint inspection, received our bond back in full a few days later. The estate agents have since been in touch (you could almost call it harassment, especially to begin with until we replied!) to say that the owner wants to charge us with theft as the appt came with a TV which has now gone. There was no tv there when we moved in and it wasn't on the inventory, hence why we got our bond back with no probs. However, they are now saying the appt came with a tv, that the owner has a receipt and have produced a picture of the TV in the appt, which is dated the day before we moved in!!

What rights do they have to continue to ask questions and pursue this given we have got our bond back after a joint inspection and we have already told them there was no tv there when we moved in?

I expect the Police will turn up on our doorstep at some point but we have nothing to hide, just fed up with the hassle, which shouldn't surprise us as they were completely awful to deal with throughout our 12 month tenancy.

Cheers
In most western countries accusations of theft are very serious and should not be used lightly. Refuse any discussion with them on the issue everything in writing from now on.

Or ask them directly in front of a third party "Are you accusing me of stealing that TV?"

If they weasel word the reply example "well Mrs scotsnewbies it was there when you moved in"

State it again "I did not take that TV if I did its theft are you accusing me of theft?" "You are or you are not what is it"

Prior to this

Drop by your local police station ask them for advice. It will at least put your mind at ease as they should tell you without solid evidence they have no reason to bother you. You have evidence proving you are right. Your Bond and Inventory Scan that now and make copies.

You also have the word of everyone that has been to your house and seen your tv not this phantom one.

If you are in Melbourne I will gladly help you on this I had a simialar experience with my last Rental company I will stand witness for you.

Don't be afraid to get mad. If this TV was not in the house when you moved in its not your issue.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:21 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scotsnewbies
Hi all,

Cheers
I would say that if the t.v. were not on the inventory they the landlords dont have a leg to stand on.You did not mention wether or not the inventory was done by the landlord or independant. Either way should the matter end in court i think it would be thrown out as ngligence on the part of the landlord or his agent to have not included the t.v. on the inventory.
GOOD luck.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:29 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them to call the police and when/if they come around show them the property condition report.

Me personally I would tell the owner/agent to **** off
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:50 pm
ABCDiamond

It is quite simple, and as others have said:

1: It was not on the inventory when you moved in. Therefore it was not there, otherwise the landlord/agent would have sorted it out at the time.

2: The final report was agreed by both parties. Therefore everything was correct at the time of leaving.

In a court of law, I could see no case whatsoever, based on facts.

Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is quite simple, and as others have said:

1: It was not on the inventory when you moved in. Therefore it was not there, otherwise the landlord/agent would have sorted it out at the time.

2: The final report was agreed by both parties. Therefore everything was correct at the time of leaving.

In a court of law, I could see no case whatsoever, based on facts.
If after all this they keep going on about it and contacting you, go to the police and make a complaint of harassment. Also threaten to sue for defamation.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:26 am
Just Joined

suzeboots is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Probs with landlord after moved out...

:frown
This makes me so mad. There are some property managers that try to exploit new arrivals.
If the TV was not on the original inventory, it wasn't there. Doesn't matter about dat stamped pics they can altered.
Tell them to get stuffed.
Call ur local cop shop & ask their advice as well.
If they continue to harrass u tell them to put everything in writing & advise them that u are seeking legal recourse.
That should stop all this silliness..
Good luck with it all
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:42 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

l[/QUOTE]

That really is taking the piss, tell them to F OFF

Good luck

Davo
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

scotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nicescotsnewbies is just really nice

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies and support! Feel so stressed out by the whole thing, just wish they would get lost!

The tv is only worth $1000 and we paid $800/wk in rent (rip off I know but had a nice view!) - why would we steal a tv?!

Had another email today now wanting our confirmation in writing (rather than by email) and that if we don't send this, they are going to report it to police - going to email them back and tell them where to go once and for all!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.