Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Probs after renting

Probs after renting

Old Oct 29th 2004, 2:28 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Probs after renting

After our first inspection the agent remarked about the garden weeds, which ok we weeded the following weekend, but she also commented on a hole in the car port ceiling. There is a hole which on closer inspection used to be where a light fixture was but also another on the edge, where age is getting the better of it, I have left a message with her at the office as to which hole she is remarking about and that we have in no way made it.
What can you all suggest, she has not got back to us and I'm starting to think "structural" work should not be included in reports. I am starting to worry now if next time it will be the driveway is not flat, or the gutter over there has a hole in it. Can I ask for a proffessional surveryor to look at the house now prior to any more problems arising as I have a horrible feeling about our agent.
Any ideas at all appriciated, we thought we had done really well at our checklist thing they did when we first moved in, every bump, scratch paint flaws noted, but they did outside when we where not in, and as they seemed to be so intune with the inside problems I assumed they where bothered with the pool, grass and weeds outside and not structual things.
Thanks Jenny
Old Oct 29th 2004, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Probs after renting

I would have thought that these are wear and tear and therefore problems that the owners must sort out unless you went yourself and put the hole in the car port ceiling. Anything that we do (carpets getting dirty) we sort out but as you say, the structural damage, we always contact our agent and they sort it out - I think she is trying her luck!
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:17 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Haven't you got some type of a body there in Perth for renters? Like the RTA in Qld, where you can phone them up and ask them for their advice . If that was Qld she hasn't got a leg to stand on. It's not your fault if it's the age of the building, and a hole appears due to the structure of the place.
Take photo's of that hole ,and the evidence of a light was there ( I'm assuming there is an old light fitting mark or a wire or something there) for your own back up.

Is she just working for an estate agent or is she the boss? If she isn't the boss.. complain to her boss.

You could get a surveyor in, but if it were me I'd resent having to do this, forking out for one because of a picky , "try it on" agent.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

What a pain in the butt she sounds!!

But not all of them are bad. We had our 6mths inspection a few weeks ago, which was not long after me coming outof hospital after an op. The lady arrived and was really freindly and pleasant. She went round, ticking htings off, then gave me the sheet. At the bottom is a box for "things for tenant to do" ... she wrote on it... " concentrate on getting yourself well again"
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:43 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

She is the boss, she is always very nice on the phone, she intends on doing a check every 6 weeks that seems extreme, you can tell a light was there as you can see the screw holes and the outline where the fitting was, as for the hole a previous person has painted over the edges so it is obvious we have not done it. I am just a little freaked out by what she will think of next, we covered the inside with a fine tooth comb but not outside as much. The windows and fly screens where done from the inside so it didn't leave much outside to be covered other than garden maintenance and pool care which is up to us to sort out.
It would be interesting to see if there is a governing body in WA for tennants, if anybody has any ideas on who they are please let me know.
Jenny
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

this sounds very extreme... have you read oyur tenancy agreement to se eif it mentions having 6 weekly inspections?..i am not sure if it is legal to do it that often (might be wrong), even if it is int he agreement i would be inclined to challenge it as being intrusive.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jensteve
It would be interesting to see if there is a governing body in WA for tennants, if anybody has any ideas on who they are please let me know.
Jenny
This may help:
Tenants Advice Service WA
http://www.taswa.org/

Good luck

Old Oct 29th 2004, 5:15 am
Moved out bush!

Originally Posted by podgypossum
this sounds very extreme... have you read oyur tenancy agreement to se eif it mentions having 6 weekly inspections?..i am not sure if it is legal to do it that often (might be wrong), even if it is int he agreement i would be inclined to challenge it as being intrusive.
Thanks for the link abcdiamond, it says they can check the premises every 4 weeks, there is also a section on maintenance in it I will read later. I think I will check out my lease and hope I haven't signed saying they have opted out of maintaining the premises.
Jenny
Old Oct 29th 2004, 6:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jensteve
Thanks for the link abcdiamond, it says they can check the premises every 4 weeks, there is also a section on maintenance in it I will read later. I think I will check out my lease and hope I haven't signed saying they have opted out of maintaining the premises.
Jenny
Here in QLD the RTA states " One routine inspection per three months"

Looks like another State difference for the records.

PS:
RTA in Queensland stands for "Residential Tenancy Authority" http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/
but in NSW "RTA" stands for "Roads & Traffic Authority" (slightly different)

Old Oct 29th 2004, 6:27 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

The Real Estate Institute of WA is the place to go.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Hope it all works out for you. It is good advice to ring the RTA they have tried to help us with our previous owner. We are still waiting for our bond to be refunded almost 3 months after we moved out and are off to the small claims court next month.

She threatened us that if we did not pay up, she would claim for more damages, we did not pay, so she has doubled the claim to over a $1000 now. I

Hope things are better for you, but I will be rejoicing when we get in our own house, renting is the pits.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:13 am
A happy pom in Oz!

johnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura about

I know where you are coming from.... we got stung for dirty walls! We were only there 3 months and really took care of the place.

Camera Camera Camera! (Even video the inspection if you have to!

It is bull**** but it means the agent knows that you mean business and are not going to take any bull!)

Personally we have well priced private rentals in the southern suburbs of Perth .. and we would much prefer to have new migrants stay cos generally they really appreciate the help we give them and really take care of our homes.

(One reasonably priced bungalow is free in early Dec for three months!)

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:20 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear of your problems jenny, I do hope you get it sorted!

This thread serves as such a HUGE warning to us soon-to-be renters.....I know I for one will be going over the rental property with a fine tooth comb and video camera, as well as reading up on the link ABCD gave.

good luck jenny

sue
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
sorry to hear of your problems jenny, I do hope you get it sorted!

This thread serves as such a HUGE warning to us soon-to-be renters.....I know I for one will be going over the rental property with a fine tooth comb and video camera, as well as reading up on the link ABCD gave.

good luck jenny

sue
Sue, remember, the link I gave is for W.A.
Other States may have different rules, but it can't hurt to go over the top, and cover every angle if you can.

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:48 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Sue, remember, the link I gave is for W.A.
Other States may have different rules, but it can't hurt to go over the top, and cover every angle if you can.

hehe....yep but you gave the link for the queensland one too!

I know it may sound over the top, but im one of those people who are cursed by sods law!!! if it CAN go wrong, it WILL go wrong!

sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.