Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problems with new build house: what are my rights?

Problems with new build house: what are my rights?

Old May 4th 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Perthflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problems with new build house: what are my rights?

I bought a brand new house from the developer in Nov 2009.

There are a couple of serious issues: the air con does not work in the bedroom and the garage door wont open.

What are my rights here: can I call the original builder to fix??
Old May 4th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems with new build house: what are my rights?

Originally Posted by Perthflyer

There are a couple of serious issues: the air con does not work in the bedroom and the garage door wont open.

Yes, contact the builder to let them know the problems, BUT YOU MUST DO IT IN WRITING. You might want to call them first, just to let them know, but keep a record of when you called them and follow up with a letter, fax or email.

At this stage, you might want to keep the words and tone friendly, but it is often recommend to include a time clause, such as
"Please reply in writing within 10 days of the date of this letter with your response to these concerns, indicating when you will address these issues." If you need to take it further, you've got a writtenn record and you've shown that you've asked for a response within a certain number of days. You might want to put in a different number of days, or put in "working days".

If you go ahead and pay for the items to be fixed without giving the builder an opportunity to fix them, then you might not be entitled to claim the costs from the builder later.
Old May 4th 2010, 1:27 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthflyer

Im sure if you ask nicely first they'll come and do it. if they give you run-around then get formal.

our new build had problems and they came and fixed them all etc. no problem.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Im sure if you ask nicely first they'll come and do it. if they give you run-around then get formal.

our new build had problems and they came and fixed them all etc. no problem.
This would be the best result, but unfortunately not all builders are reasonable.

Good luck Perthflyer, let us know how you go.