Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problems with my hot water system anyone?

Problems with my hot water system anyone?

Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice
Default Re: Problems with my hot water system anyone?

Sounds like the tempering valve needs adjusted. Should be done by a plumber but if you pop the plastic cover off and turn the adjuster (either clockwise or anticlockwise it will get hotter or colder) should be set at 49deg. you will need a thermostat to check.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

James.H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flumper
Sounds like the tempering valve needs adjusted. Should be done by a plumber but if you pop the plastic cover off and turn the adjuster (either clockwise or anticlockwise it will get hotter or colder) should be set at 49deg. you will need a thermostat to check.
Origin came out and pressed the reset button on the thermostat, and altho we have hotish water again, it's NOT hot enough to need to add cold, so def not as hot as it used it be.

The guy was pointing to the tempering valve and a few other bits. Asking if the kitchen gets hotter temps as there's 2 outputs and I'm told one will go to the bathrooms (via that tempering valve I'm sure he said) but there's another that he said will go direct to the kitchen sink. He went on about how the kitchen could go up to as much as 70C, but the bathrooms will all go to a max of 50C.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow, thanks.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:30 am
Account Closed

Till I get a thermostat, any idea which is which, as in clockwise or anti for what?

I've popped the blue cover off and it will go either way a good few turns, just wondering if clockwise turns colder (as I'd guess) or anti?

Cheers
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:07 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

anti-clockwise for hotter I think.

I just ripped mine out of the kids bathroom as it was getting unreliable. $99 for the replacement part, so I just capped the cold feed into the mix, and connected hot to hot for $4.50. It was the only place in the house we had one fitted.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

Originally Posted by James.H
Till I get a thermostat, any idea which is which, as in clockwise or anti for what?

I've popped the blue cover off and it will go either way a good few turns, just wondering if clockwise turns colder (as I'd guess) or anti?

Cheers
It depends on the manufacturer. Turn the adjuster fully one way, turn on bathroom basin tap run for a few minutes if it gets cooler turn it fully the other way.

Do not remove as posted by another poster as it is a legal safety requirement.

Last edited by flumper; Jun 11th 2013 at 3:02 am.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

It depends on the manufacturer. Turn the adjuster fully one way, turn on bathroom basin tap run for a few minutes if it gets cooler turn it fully the other way.

Do not remove as posted by another poster as it is a legal safety requirement.
Yeah good call on the all one way. I wound it in a few turns and missus reckons it's hotter now. Still got to get hold of a thermostat, but will hopefully grab one tomorrow and do some winding both ways!

Yeah Origin guy said it was legal requirement too. Reckons they're $180 but I reckon that's with markup and all.

Thanks for the help
Old Jun 11th 2013, 8:40 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

$99 at masters - http://www.masters.com.au/product/90...empering-valve

Fixed mine up, and put it back in.