Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problems with my hot water system anyone?

Problems with my hot water system anyone?

Old May 19th 2013, 3:01 am
Account Closed

James.H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problems with my hot water system anyone?

I have a Dux ProFlo 315-F1-36 and the waters only coming out *just* hot, not scolding although it never was scolding, but would get hot enough that you needed to add cold to the bath, but now just hot running and we don't get a *hot* bath but a warm bath

I'm guessing these things have a filament or something that could've clogged up, cacked itself maybe, but I'd really appreciate any pointers at where to start?

Thanks in advance
Old May 19th 2013, 7:33 am
Account Closed

Default Re: Problems with my hot water system anyone?

Worth a shot
Old May 19th 2013, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Try on the following forum mate..... It could even be this problem.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1770574
Old May 19th 2013, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

1/ Heating element burned out.

2/ Thermostat failed.

3/ Off peak meter failed.

4/ Pressure relief valve leaking.

5/ Safety switch tripped.

6/ Rats chewed through supply cable.

7/ Daughter/Son has a new squeeze and has developed a sudden interest in twenty minute showers.

8/ Faulty thermostatic mixer tap.

9/ Two phase supply to premises and heater supply has blown council fuse.

Originally Posted by James.H
I have a Dux ProFlo 315-F1-36 and the waters only coming out *just* hot, not scolding although it never was scolding, but would get hot enough that you needed to add cold to the bath, but now just hot running and we don't get a *hot* bath but a warm bath

I'm guessing these things have a filament or something that could've clogged up, cacked itself maybe, but I'd really appreciate any pointers at where to start?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Hino; May 19th 2013 at 8:34 am.
Old May 20th 2013, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

heater
Originally Posted by Hino

2/ Thermostat failed.

7/ Daughter/Son has a new squeeze and has developed a sudden interest in twenty minute showers.

10/ Meter reader or local comedian accidentally / deliberately turned the water heater power switch off.
Old May 20th 2013, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Try on the following forum mate..... It could even be this problem.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1770574
Thanks, but this switch is always @ the max setting. Hasn't been touched!

2/ Thermostat failed.

heater

10/ Meter reader or local comedian accidentally / deliberately turned the water heater power switch off.
Well half of them are out the window as there's power to the unit no problem. I've got my hot water on the tariff where it's only fed 10pm - 6am but in these times there's healthy voltage there.

Since OP the family have managed to get a bit more hot water (hit & miss) from it, but apparently the temp goes up and down when in the shower, no cold water being used.

So it's like it's still heating, but not very well, and output temp varies too.

The unit has 2002 on it so probably put in when house was built. I'm happy to replace unit, but if I can get a bit more life out of it for now, then with current financial situation that would be handy.

Thing that gets me is WHERE do you get in? There's a small cover at the bottom with the power connections, and an inlet one side, outlet the other, but that's it! Where is the damn thermostat and other gubbins. I know they're in there, but I'd be damned in I can find out how to access them!

Does the top come off?
Old May 20th 2013, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, but this switch is always @ the max setting. Hasn't been touched!

Well half of them are out the window as there's power to the unit no problem. I've got my hot water on the tariff where it's only fed 10pm - 6am but in these times there's healthy voltage there.

Since OP the family have managed to get a bit more hot water (hit & miss) from it, but apparently the temp goes up and down when in the shower, no cold water being used.

So it's like it's still heating, but not very well, and output temp varies too.

The unit has 2002 on it so probably put in when house was built. I'm happy to replace unit, but if I can get a bit more life out of it for now, then with current financial situation that would be handy.

Thing that gets me is WHERE do you get in? There's a small cover at the bottom with the power connections, and an inlet one side, outlet the other, but that's it! Where is the damn thermostat and other gubbins. I know they're in there, but I'd be damned in I can find out how to access them!

Does the top come off?
You're welcome

Any electrically qualified plumber will soon diagnose the fault and either repair or replace the unit if required.

Not as cheap as the 'information' that you'll get from this forum but a lot more reliable and a lot less risk of you hurting yourself and others

Just think how would you feel if you managed to kill or maim someone with your shonky attempts to repair this unit

Last edited by Hino; May 20th 2013 at 11:04 am.
Old May 20th 2013, 9:45 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have smart meter for your electricity? It turns off during peak hours so you might be using up before it gets off peak again.
Old May 20th 2013, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Do you have smart meter for your electricity? It turns off during peak hours so you might be using up before it gets off peak again.
Read #3 of my original post

I'm not quite sure how he "knows" that he has supply to the unit, but apparently he is
Old May 20th 2013, 10:01 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Read #3 of my original post

I'm not quite sure how he "knows" that he has supply to the unit, but apparently he is
the water temp going up and down whilst in the shower would have me looking at the tempering valve ( providing no ones opening taps else where whilst the showers on and of course if a tempering valve is fitted ) this valve usually on the hot water service links the cold input with the hot output and ideally keeps the temperature from going above a set point usually 65 degrees so i`lm told,

http://www.allvalve.com.au/Files/PDF...structions.pdf

Last edited by steve`o; May 20th 2013 at 10:10 pm.
Old May 21st 2013, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Stings when I put my tongue across the red & black pins

All been ok since the start of this thread so will put my pliers and screwdriver away.

Thanks all the same
Old May 21st 2013, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

All been ok since the start of this thread so will put my pliers and screwdriver away.

Thanks all the same
Hmmm sus how that works sometimes....

We shall have to deem it "Watergate"
Old May 22nd 2013, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
the water temp going up and down whilst in the shower would have me looking at the tempering valve ( providing no ones opening taps else where whilst the showers on and of course if a tempering valve is fitted )
Is this yet more proof that we live in the Thirld World!?
Surely people have got around this one now?
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Thanks all the same
Still stings when tongue is across the + & - but now waters back on the warm side, and family have had enough!

Can anyone recommend a Plumber/Hot Water tech?

I'm Brissie / Gold Coast area.

Cheers
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Can anyone recommend a Plumber/Hot Water tech?
Too slow, as you were...

http://www.originenergy.com.au/4137/...-service-visit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.