Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problems getting Broadband 1 or 2?

Problems getting Broadband 1 or 2?

Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:15 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problems getting Broadband 1 or 2?

Hi all.

We're about to move into a long term address in Carina (Brisbane) and when I tried to get iiNet ADSL2+ enabled on our line, the guy I spoke to said that a lot of rental complexes have "split-cabling" installed by Telstra which makes it impossible to have any kind of broadband installed (and here I am thinking there couldn't possibly be a telecomms company worse than British Telecom).

Has anyone else fallen foul of this situation?

I will be pretty pissed off if I can't get ADSL at all in a Metro district of Brisbane.

Cheers.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:33 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Problems getting Broadband 1 or 2?

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi all.

We're about to move into a long term address in Carina (Brisbane) and when I tried to get iiNet ADSL2+ enabled on our line, the guy I spoke to said that a lot of rental complexes have "split-cabling" installed by Telstra which makes it impossible to have any kind of broadband installed (and here I am thinking there couldn't possibly be a telecomms company worse than British Telecom).

I will be pretty pissed off if I can't get ADSL at all in a Metro district of Brisbane.

Cheers.
Rental complexes, are you moving to one of these warden controlled environments, is that what you mean?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:36 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Rental complexes, are you moving to one of these warden controlled environments, is that what you mean?
Yeah, I'm beginning to think that it may have been a bad idea. It was a suggestion of my wife's uncle but perhaps we should have just moved to a normal rental?

Mind you, it's a lovely place and the pool was very appealing for our yungun..

Oh bugger it.....
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that it may have been a bad idea. It was a suggestion of my wife's uncle but perhaps we should have just moved to a normal rental?

Mind you, it's a lovely place and the pool was very appealing for our yungun..

Oh bugger it.....
If you're Metro Brisbane can you get Cable Broadband (and TV) instead?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:27 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Oh well, it seems we can get ADSL but not ADSL2+ but the really annoying part is that iiNet charge me exactly the same price for 1.5Mbs/256KBps ($144.95 per month) as a 24Mbs/1000Mbs subscriber. That can't be fair......

I really don't want to go back to 512Kbs/128Kbs....Any ideas?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:28 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by CHnJ
If you're Metro Brisbane can you get Cable Broadband (and TV) instead?
Nah, tried that one already. Thanks for the suggestion though.

There must be something afoot on our complex as Camp Hill is spitting distance from Carina and yet we cannot ADSL2 on that particular complex.....

Sounds very BT'ish to me....
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Nah, tried that one already. Thanks for the suggestion though.

There must be something afoot on our complex as Camp Hill is spitting distance from Carina and yet we cannot ADSL2 on that particular complex.....

Sounds very BT'ish to me....
Nah. Hellstra makes BT look good.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:39 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Hi all.

Cheers.
Has anybody else who lives in a rental complex had problems getting ADSL (whether it be ADSL or ADSL2) setup on their phone line?

Cheers.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed your response re iinet..... I'd posted a URL to them before I edited...

Why are they charging you so much.... I pay 99 bucks per month for the complete bundle at 1.5 mbs 40 gigs of download.... anyone using more than that amazes me.... and two telephone lines one Voip and one standard.

The only reason you wouldn't have ADSL2 available is the infrastructure at the exchange, which is still being rolled out.

They are Enabling us here in Coburg Melbourne, in the first quarter of next year.

BTW... I've yet to download at a speed great than 800 kbps even though I've tested the speed at 1.3 mbs.... So I doubt if I'll see a big improvement on downloading anything, when I do move on up to ADSL2....

My question is will I have to replace my current Belkin wirless modem.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 6th 2006 at 2:43 am.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

My question is will I have to replace my current Belkin wirless modem.
Depends if it is an ADSL 2+ enabled modem or not
Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Depends if it is an ADSL 2+ enabled modem or not
I dont know whether it is or not Teliko.... thing is when signed up with IInet, they are supposed to upgrade me automatically.... they supplied the modem... I'll be damn annoyed if they didn't supply a "future proof one"

I've got a vague Idea it isnt.... because I bet it would have had ADSL2 Capable plastered all over it otherwise.

Bit cheeky of IInet to make me get two modems I reckon.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know whether it is or not Teliko.... thing is when signed up with IInet, they are supposed to upgrade me automatically.... they supplied the modem... I'll be damn annoyed if they didn't supply a "future proof one"

I've got a vague Idea it isnt.... because I bet it would have had ADSL2 Capable plastered all over it otherwise.

Bit cheeky of IInet to make me get two modems I reckon.
Do you know the model number?
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Do you know the model number?

Just had a look underneath.... Belkin F1p1241eg...1000AU I'm pretty sure iinet had them made for specific use by themselves. 802.11g Gateway/voip Wireless modem.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:25 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I use aanet.com.au they're excellent value and high speed - not quite adsl2 but they're good all the same.

If you plan on foxtel you may get foxtel broadband cable but they'll tie you into a deal until your child is leaving university
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Just had a look underneath.... Belkin F1p1241eg...1000AU I'm pretty sure iinet had them made for specific use by themselves. 802.11g Gateway/voip Wireless modem.
Think you are ok then, it seems to be ADSL 2+ if this is the right one:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=247049

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.