Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problems in the bedroom department!

Problems in the bedroom department!

Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default Problems in the bedroom department!

Knew that would get your attention! It’s true though. We decided to ship our nice pine king size bed from the UK. The mattress was past it’s best so we decided we’d treat ourselves to a new one here & save on shipping costs. Aha we thought – bet mattress sizes are different in Oz, so we got on the phone to our friends to check. “No worries� they said, King size in the UK equates to Queen size here. Brilliant we thought, but we’ll double check as they’ve sometimes given us dubious advice in the past. Phoned some other friends who said “no worries mate� just done the exact same things ourselves, bought a Queen size mattress, fits perfectly. So this week, recently reunited with our hundreds of packing cases, Mr. Loopy gets out his tool kit (ooerrr missus)
and puts the bed together. Took measurements and went off to buy a new mattress. Oh deary me, (substitute expletives) the Queen size mattresses does not fit “no worries�! King size mattress UK is approx 6foot 6� long, 200 cms, Queen size mattress here 202-4 cms and won’t fit in the dratted frame. Friends No2 neglected to say they don’t have a footboard on their bed so it wasn’t an issue!

Anyone know anywhere in Perth that sells odd sized mattresses????? Mr. Loopy is now thinking of making new side rails and extending the bed length ways, but we had a half finished car port in the UK started 10 years ago & it took 3 years to finish a brick built BBQ so I’m not very hopeful! Did find a man who would make a latex mattress for me (don’t know if I fancy one of those though) for a mere $1,000. Any ideas anyone?

(You can stop laughing now Diane!)

Loopy
Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Diane

Sorry we can't help - still in the UK!

But just wanted to say thanks for sharing the tale, had an interesting read!

Perhaps you may have some more friends arriving in Perth, who can have a mattress shipped with their stuff! It may be quicker than Mr Loopy's good intentions!

Best of Luck
Juleigh:
Old Jul 14th 2003, 6:02 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems in the bedroom department!

Originally posted by Loopy
Knew that would get your attention! It’s true though. We decided to ship our nice pine king size bed from the UK. The mattress was past it’s best so we decided we’d treat ourselves to a new one here & save on shipping costs. Aha we thought – bet mattress sizes are different in Oz, so we got on the phone to our friends to check. “No worries� they said, King size in the UK equates to Queen size here. Brilliant we thought, but we’ll double check as they’ve sometimes given us dubious advice in the past. Phoned some other friends who said “no worries mate� just done the exact same things ourselves, bought a Queen size mattress, fits perfectly. So this week, recently reunited with our hundreds of packing cases, Mr. Loopy gets out his tool kit (ooerrr missus)
and puts the bed together. Took measurements and went off to buy a new mattress. Oh deary me, (substitute expletives) the Queen size mattresses does not fit “no worries�! King size mattress UK is approx 6foot 6� long, 200 cms, Queen size mattress here 202-4 cms and won’t fit in the dratted frame. Friends No2 neglected to say they don’t have a footboard on their bed so it wasn’t an issue!

Anyone know anywhere in Perth that sells odd sized mattresses????? Mr. Loopy is now thinking of making new side rails and extending the bed length ways, but we had a half finished car port in the UK started 10 years ago & it took 3 years to finish a brick built BBQ so I’m not very hopeful! Did find a man who would make a latex mattress for me (don’t know if I fancy one of those though) for a mere $1,000. Any ideas anyone?

Loopy
Strange never noticed any problems before ,did you have the bed made for you? most oz sizes average out at KING 6X6 QUEEN 5,6X6 STD DOUBLE 4,6X6, you dont see many folding divan bases like they have in the uk, the cheapest opotion will be to extend your rails.............. MM
Old Jul 14th 2003, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Loopy

Loopy
Hi Loopy

Have you tried IKEA? Perhaps they import mattresses from Europe and I think they are the same size as UK.

Worth a try anyway. Good luck.

Regards
Old Jul 16th 2003, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Haaaahahahahahahhahahahahaha!!

I may not be laffing long though cos we need a new one too but ours is only a double cos our bedroom antics aren't as energetic as yours!!!! Little DianeOz Junior (aka William) has peed on our bed just too many times and the stink of stale pee is putting hubby off his stroke.

You can do the ground work on this one, so let me know.

Diane