Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

(Probably) stupid question re Brown Snakes

(Probably) stupid question re Brown Snakes

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default (Probably) stupid question re Brown Snakes

Hello all,

Mr J caught a young brown snake on its way into our garage yesterday. It was so vicious for something only about 10 inches long. I know there was a 4 foot one on the (empty) block next to us recently, so that's what I have been watching out for. Naively I didn't think to look for small ones. This could have been easily disguised in the grass. Not good news with a toddler and a baby about to crawl.

Anyway, on to my stupid question............

Would the venom from a baby snake be as strong as from an adult, or does it increase with age?

Cheers to anyone that knows!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Probably) stupid question re Brown Snakes

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Hello all,

Mr J caught a young brown snake on its way into our garage yesterday. ....
Jesus H Christ! Brown snakes are THE most venomous! :scared:
Don't know if the babies are less venomous, but should you be catching these things yourself? I'm pretty sure you can call someone that will relocate them.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Mr J caught a young brown snake on its way into our garage yesterday. It was so vicious for something only about 10 inches long. I know there was a 4 foot one on the (empty) block next to us recently, so that's what I have been watching out for. Naively I didn't think to look for small ones. This could have been easily disguised in the grass. Not good news with a toddler and a baby about to crawl.

Would the venom from a baby snake be as strong as from an adult, or does it increase with age?

All I know is the brown snake is the 2nd most venomous in australia, and baby snakes have venom and fangs from birth. Also browns are V aggressive, however no idea if their venom increases with age.

If theres one baby there would be many more. If the block next door is overgrown let the council know, its something you get fined for over here. Land has to be kept free of weeds and long grass councils enforce it.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I didn't know how poisonous they are. I had one in my back yard. It came at me when I lifted a covering it was hiding under. :scared: It went away when I shooed it. I have a baby about to crawl as well.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:27 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Baby snakes are just as venomous as adult snakes, size makes no differece.
A guy in Adelaide died a few weeks ago after been bitten by a brown snake. It was on the road, he did'nt want to kill it by running it over so he got out his car and tried to get it off the road with a stick and it bit him.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Try and keep your gardens clear of undergrowth, anything they can hide under, and don't put your hands in anywhere you can't see, not just to keep safe from the snakes, but also the spiders

My boyfriend and I were commenting the other day when we saw the most recent tiger snake that even if the grass is short, they are camouflaged so well that we still didn't see it until we were a metre away, and with our dog which made it even worse :scared: Luckily he didn't see it so we were able to back away and wait for it to vacate the area.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Jesus H Christ! Brown snakes are THE most venomous! :scared:
Don't know if the babies are less venomous, but should you be catching these things yourself? I'm pretty sure you can call someone that will relocate them.
He didn't exactly 'catch it' (made a bit of a mess in the garage I can tell you).

I have said that if he sees another one we should call The Poisons Hotline, who will in turn send someone to take it away! As I understand it anyway.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:40 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Hello all,

:scared:

Arrrrrrrrrr!! Venom is same strength!!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Baby snakes are just as venomous as adult snakes, size makes no differece.
A guy in Adelaide died a few weeks ago after been bitten by a brown snake. It was on the road, he did'nt want to kill it by running it over so he got out his car and tried to get it off the road with a stick and it bit him.
What a tosser! Running over it wouldn't kill it - you have to do screechies to do that!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I didn't know how poisonous they are. I had one in my back yard. It came at me when I lifted a covering it was hiding under. :scared: It went away when I shooed it. I have a baby about to crawl as well.
Katie, how frightening.

One trick - perhaps u were doing this tho? - is to always lift anything up from the side opposite to where you are standing, effectively rolling the lid/cover.piece of wood/towards u. That way the wild-life dashes out , towards the light, which is away from you.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie
:scared:

Arrrrrrrrrr!! Venom is same strength!!
Same strength, just not as much. So a bite from a baby one, although very serious is less likely to kill you.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:24 am
ABCDiamond

Some info in case it's of any use to anyone.........

For a referral to a local snake collector contact the service listed for your state:

NSW: Wildlife and Information Rescue Service (WIRES), phone: (02) 8977 3333.
VIC: The Wildlife Care Network, phone: 0500 540 000
SA: Fauna Rescue, phone: 08 8289 0896, or Adelaide Snake Catchers, phone: 0413 665 483
QLD: QLD Parks and Wildlife Service, phone: (07) 3202 0220
WA: Conservation and Land Management (CALM), Wildlife Protection, phone: (08) 9334 0292 (BH), (08) 9334 0333 (AH)
NT: Darwin and Darwin Rural Snake Callout, phone: 0407 610 039
TAS: Department of Primary Industry, Water and Environment, Nature Conservation Branch, phone: (03) 6233 6556
ACT: ACT Parks and Conservation - Southside, phone: (02) 6207 2127; Northside, phone: (02) 6207 2113

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...ives/25?p=2000

There are several species of brown snake in Australia.

The most toxic member of the group, the eastern or common brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis) is found in the eastern half of Australia with a few populations in the Northern Territory. It has the second most potent venom of all land snakes (second only to the inland taipan) and is 12 times more toxic than the Indian cobra (Naja naja).

The most widespread species is the western brown or gwardar, which occurs everywhere in Australia apart from a strip around the southern and eastern coasts.

Deaths from all Snake Bites are on average about 4 per year, for the entire country.

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:12 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lord juvenile Percy
Baby snakes are just as venomous as adult snakes, size makes no difference.
A guy in Adelaide died a few weeks ago after been bitten by a brown snake. It was on the road, he didn't want to kill it by running it over so he got out his car and tried to get it off the road with a stick and it bit him.
I heard/read that the snake that bit him was a juvenile and that the reason he died was that he didn't seek medical help straight away - he went home and then fell ill.

An ABC radio pundit last week reckoned that the liver does quite a good job of getting rid of snake venom. If you are bitten and can't get to help (or help to you), you have to keep pretty calm and still, wrap a bandage tight (but NOT a tourniquet) around the bite and hope the trickle of venom gets filtered by your liver.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

Although the venom strength 'per mil' is slightly less, juvenile snakes may actually be more dangerous, due to inexperienced envenomation ( may empty venom sacs in panic with multiple tags), compared to an adults more calculated dose (will reserve a 'dose' or six).

Be lucky. G.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
Same strength, just not as much. So a bite from a baby one, although very serious is less likely to kill you.
Yes but what about a 2 year old and a nine month old?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.