IT Pro Salaries

Old May 22nd 2009, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

justin-ni will become famous soon enough
Default IT Pro Salaries

Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate it if anyone in the IT profession could give me their 'real life' experiences of average salaries in the various cities? Not really interested in software / programming jobs, but services, infrastructure and consulting would be right up my street.

Cheers!
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

capetosydney will become famous soon enoughcapetosydney will become famous soon enough
Default Re: IT Pro Salaries

Originally Posted by justin-ni
Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate it if anyone in the IT profession could give me their 'real life' experiences of average salaries in the various cities? Not really interested in software / programming jobs, but services, infrastructure and consulting would be right up my street.

Cheers!
Try this link,it is from last year, so probably not entirely accurate, but gives you an idea.

Cheers

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs08...Technology.pdf
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Wow nice find this is perfect - thanks!

Cheers
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:47 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Cheers!
Not too dissimilar to UK - there are senior roles director level at 300-500k , professionals at 150-250k depending on age/experience/etc

depends on industry - but in the large SI firms thats probably close to going rate.
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spalen
Not too dissimilar to UK - there are senior roles director level at 300-500k , professionals at 150-250k depending on age/experience/etc

depends on industry - but in the large SI firms thats probably close to going rate.
Really? I would have thought those figures are significantly higher than most cities in the UK, maybe similar to some jobs on the higher end of the scale in London City? Would you say that the demand for workers is comparable to that of the UK? I somehow got the impression that it's not as big an industry in Australia, or that there's more people going into the profession in the UK?

Cheers
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:45 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I would have thought those figures are significantly higher than most cities in the UK, maybe similar to some jobs on the higher end of the scale in London City? Would you say that the demand for workers is comparable to that of the UK? I somehow got the impression that it's not as big an industry in Australia, or that there's more people going into the profession in the UK?

Cheers
For someone with say 10-15yrs out of Uni with track record and experience capable of running reasonable size projects/organisations/business units 150-250k is easily in ball park. 300-500k is harder. For sales related roles - ie a consultant in an SI firm required to close business to keep the rest of his team employed you can add 50-75K sales bonuses on top. More junior roles not running a business unit but team leading or 1st line manager roles of small departments i'd estimate 100-150k

It all depends - if you are running/leading something in a big SI firm then yeah I'd say 150 is average. If you are a superstar running a huge piece of business or a project director for a sizeable outsourcing type deal with commercial P+L then 250-350 wouldnt be ridiculous and you can go significantly higher if you have superstar status.

In the large firms I dont see any variance in city - there is some local cost of living assesment but its not huge in my experience.

There are big companies around - Telstra, BHP, etc, all the banks(there are a lot of banks for such a small country). There are companies with services arms like Datacraft, Dimension Data, CSC, EDS, IBM, HP, and plenty of Australian only SI companies like ISI for example.

There are fewer jobs than in UK and its a smaller market - but there is still work and still jobs -yeah its harder right now to get into a company because everyone is on hiring slowdown or at least harder justification required to hire new headcount but if you have experience and track record you shoudl get something.
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Excellent, thanks for all the info - very informative.

I work in the services division for one of the companies mentioned, and I've put out some feelers RE relocation, so hopefully I'll get some company guidance as well.

Cheers
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:00 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with those figures with respect to Sydney. Not a great time to be moving unless you can get relocated, although my husband did get a call from a head hunter the other day so there are some people hiring.
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:48 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent, thanks for all the info - very informative.

I work in the services division for one of the companies mentioned, and I've put out some feelers RE relocation, so hopefully I'll get some company guidance as well.

Cheers
I work for one of those companies mentioned as well. We have just laid 10% of the workforce off. We have all been told no pay increase for the next twelve months, and absolutely no external recruitment unless every single cent of the wages involved can be directly billed to the client.

It's not going to be easy finding work for a while and pretty tough for most companies to justify a 457 placement, which is what any relocation would probably start out as.
Old May 23rd 2009, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Entry level support come sin at around 40k currently, with a few years experience and a few qualifications expect around 55-70k but the problem is there are not many jobs being advertised at the minute and lots of people going for them
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I work for one of those companies mentioned as well. We have just laid 10% of the workforce off. We have all been told no pay increase for the next twelve months, and absolutely no external recruitment unless every single cent of the wages involved can be directly billed to the client.

It's not going to be easy finding work for a while and pretty tough for most companies to justify a 457 placement, which is what any relocation would probably start out as.
I work for one of your competitors and we are doing very well, actually recruiting staff - although the recruitment process is more controlled now and we are having to do more work, but salary increases will still go ahead this year.
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
For someone with say 10-15yrs out of Uni with track record and experience capable of running reasonable size projects/organisations/business units 150-250k is easily in ball park. 300-500k is harder. For sales related roles - ie a consultant in an SI firm required to close business to keep the rest of his team employed you can add 50-75K sales bonuses on top. More junior roles not running a business unit but team leading or 1st line manager roles of small departments i'd estimate 100-150k

It all depends - if you are running/leading something in a big SI firm then yeah I'd say 150 is average. If you are a superstar running a huge piece of business or a project director for a sizeable outsourcing type deal with commercial P+L then 250-350 wouldnt be ridiculous and you can go significantly higher if you have superstar status.

In the large firms I dont see any variance in city - there is some local cost of living assesment but its not huge in my experience.

There are big companies around - Telstra, BHP, etc, all the banks(there are a lot of banks for such a small country). There are companies with services arms like Datacraft, Dimension Data, CSC, EDS, IBM, HP, and plenty of Australian only SI companies like ISI for example.

There are fewer jobs than in UK and its a smaller market - but there is still work and still jobs -yeah its harder right now to get into a company because everyone is on hiring slowdown or at least harder justification required to hire new headcount but if you have experience and track record you shoudl get something.
No wonder mate you are always such a happy chap....I take it you are on the stellar scales here..

as another poster said - I guess wages start at 40-50k a year.

With more experienced bods on 60-70k+
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
I work for one of your competitors and we are doing very well, actually recruiting staff - although the recruitment process is more controlled now and we are having to do more work, but salary increases will still go ahead this year.
An outsourcer still recruiting in Oz... I'm impressed... and very surprised.
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:06 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone wanting a SOE architect give me a buzz.
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:17 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
An outsourcer still recruiting in Oz... I'm impressed... and very surprised.
I've just been hired by an out sourcer for some new work, they we'relooking for 6 people in Sydney in infrastructure support, (2 for a specific client/4 for the general team) and are also advertising in Adelaide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.