Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private versus Public School in Australia

Private versus Public School in Australia

Old Jan 27th 2018, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private versus Public School in Australia

I wonder whom is under the most stress, parents or students? The growing expectation of diligence and high achievement by their kids though, sounds increasingly like an Asian type adaptation to me to the Australian education place.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 10:05 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter goes to a Public School, her three closest friends from early childhood all go to Private School. What can I tell you, their parents all pay upwards of $18,000 per year and our girl is getting better results academically than they are. Her Public School ranks overall at about the same level as the Private school. Our money goes instead on interstate and international trips to support her chosen sport, and she is thriving with full support from her school. Everyone's situation is different, for us Public School was the right decision. She is fast approaching HCS now and will likely do every bit as well as her Private School mates. Personally I cant see why people would pay the fees - Imagine families with three or four kids, that would be heading for $80k p.a.

I think if students are engaged and willing to put in the hard yards, they will do well what ever the school if given the right opportunities. If they are not interested and have no care factor, they will not do so well. All schools and each family situation are different, the key is to do whats best for you and yours.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
My daughter goes to a Public School, her three closest friends from early childhood all go to Private School. What can I tell you, their parents all pay upwards of $18,000 per year and our girl is getting better results academically than they are. Her Public School ranks overall at about the same level as the Private school. Our money goes instead on interstate and international trips to support her chosen sport, and she is thriving with full support from her school. Everyone's situation is different, for us Public School was the right decision. She is fast approaching HCS now and will likely do every bit as well as her Private School mates. Personally I cant see why people would pay the fees - Imagine families with three or four kids, that would be heading for $80k p.a.

I think if students are engaged and willing to put in the hard yards, they will do well what ever the school if given the right opportunities. If they are not interested and have no care factor, they will not do so well. All schools and each family situation are different, the key is to do whats best for you and yours.
In post 15 I tried to explain a little about the differences. Those who have never been involved in the private system always default to it being about academic results and this is far from the case as you have demonstrated.

If you want school to be all about academic results, HSC results, then you are right, its not worth the money, but if you want it to be about more, if you want your child to be taught the winning formula that they can apply across all areas of life, and to be exposed to a greater many activities, and pursuits, there is no substitute.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 1:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
If you want school to be all about academic results, HSC results, then you are right, its not worth the money, but if you want it to be about more, if you want your child to be taught the winning formula that they can apply across all areas of life, and to be exposed to a greater many activities, and pursuits, there is no substitute.
Can you spell out this winning formula that can be applied across all areas of life? Sounds fantastic. Go to private school and you will be a winner. Go to public school and...
Old Jan 29th 2018, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Can you spell out this winning formula that can be applied across all areas of life? Sounds fantastic. Go to private school and you will be a winner. Go to public school and...

I would love to know what this is, too.

Clearly, no one with a public school education has ever achieved anything in life!
Old Jan 29th 2018, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. You want to lead me down a dark alley for a mugging on public schools. Before you go there, I have nothing bad to say about public schools or those who attended them. But public schools tend to have a single goal in mind which is all about the final exams, academic only.

Now this is fine if this is where you think a school should aim but what if you wanted more from a school. Somewhere that taught about leadership, to be innovative, to think out of the box, to think global rather than local. For me I would rather a school that taught a student to think and be equipped with the long game skills, not the final exams.

Would I send my kids to private school? Until high school certainly not. There's very little value. What about high school? Well if the child was naturally gifted academically I would probably just go with a state selective school if possible. If the child was average then I would certainly go with the private school to help equip the child with a broader range of personal skills and attributes needed for the later in life.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ah. You want to lead me down a dark alley for a mugging on public schools.
Not at all, old boy. I thought I would extend an invitation to extend your superciliousness. If I may, as a humble state school student, it did come across as a tad patronising. Good sales patter, though.

My view, as I have always expressed, is each to his own. You can send your kids to whatever you wish as it's none of my business. My problem with the education system is not the schools but the unis. I wish Aus and UK were more like Germany: a vibrant uni and tafe sectors, where it's accepted that not everybody should go to uni. I used to say the Germans made nice cars and played good football, now I add and do education right good. But that's probably a discussion for another thread.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Not much to add. Private schools more likely to make future contacts perhaps? All important in networking in later life. There is a sense of elitism bred into those at certain private schools. It has been conveyed to me by participants. Old school tie certainly does work here.

My opinion for those wanting/needing to get out into the world to escape the 'small pond' Australia, not to stat increasingly difficulties and extreme competition in the future do consider what I suggested before.

Get your kids to do the International Bacalaureat. It could well be the best advice you will ever get concerning education..
Old Jan 29th 2018, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not at all, old boy. I thought I would extend an invitation to extend your superciliousness. If I may, as a humble state school student, it did come across as a tad patronising. Good sales patter, though.

My view, as I have always expressed, is each to his own. You can send your kids to whatever you wish as it's none of my business. My problem with the education system is not the schools but the unis. I wish Aus and UK were more like Germany: a vibrant uni and tafe sectors, where it's accepted that not everybody should go to uni. I used to say the Germans made nice cars and played good football, now I add and do education right good. But that's probably a discussion for another thread.
The question is simply asked, Private versus Public. As someone who attended both and keeps an eye on the state of affairs for their own children, just my opinion.

And the result is I would send my own kids through both systems at different stages of life.

Agree with you on uni's. Given the state of uni's and the preparation they give students for their work careers, the private school extra's (not the academic side) becomes more valuable.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Not much to add. Private schools more likely to make future contacts perhaps? All important in networking in later life. There is a sense of elitism bred into those at certain private schools. It has been conveyed to me by participants. Old school tie certainly does work here.

My opinion for those wanting/needing to get out into the world to escape the 'small pond' Australia, not to stat increasingly difficulties and extreme competition in the future do consider what I suggested before.

Get your kids to do the International Bacalaureat. It could well be the best advice you will ever get concerning education..
However your post does distract from the advantages private can provide to students who need that smaller class size and additional resources.

Public system does very poorly with kids with special needs. That should not prevent them from gaining a decent education.

Not all parents I have observed send their kids for a status, they send them for the best education they can afford or believe will benefit their kids.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
However your post does distract from the advantages private can provide to students who need that smaller class size and additional resources.

Public system does very poorly with kids with special needs. That should not prevent them from gaining a decent education.

Not all parents I have observed send their kids for a status, they send them for the best education they can afford or believe will benefit their kids.
I don't believe I went into any great detail with regard advantages. more noted conceptions. I do believe that the general consensus is though that private school is better if can afford it. There remains some very high ranking public schools though in Perth ratings, that parents have been known to buy into the catchment area to enable their children to be able to attend. Usually quite expensive suburbs to boot, I expect the status of such public schools does no harm at all in ensuring those prices.

I suppose private schools are better for those with special needs. One thing parent pressure would likely be far greater than a public school. With high fees come high expectations.

One would expect they would offer more in additional opportunities such as learning music. Perhaps (not sure) a greater choice of learning a language?

Up to the parents to gauge if money well spent at the end of the day.