Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private or state schooling is best in Melbourne??

Private or state schooling is best in Melbourne??

Old May 28th 2012, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Noorhanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private or state schooling is best in Melbourne??

Hi All

My name is Hanna and myself and the family will be moving to Melbourne in Nov/Dec time. We are looking to move to the Doncaster area in Melbourne.

Looking at schools and we are looknig to put our children in private schools, but are unsure now. Have seen a primary school in Doncaster, 'Doncaster Gardens Primary School' which on the ACARA website shows very high achieving results, even better results then the local private schools.

This has made us question is private always better? Will private schooling provide more one to one tuition, better prospects for the child?

Love to hear any advise, experiences in this matter from you all. Especially if anyone knows of the Doncaster area and the schools there.

Love to hear from you and your thoughts on this.

Hanna
Old May 28th 2012, 9:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private or state schooling is best in Melbourne??

There are good and bad state schools, there are good and bad private schools.

In Australia there are also Catholic and Christian fellowship schools which provide a third option. There are a small number state "selective" schools which are considered very good - they select all their students via entrance exam rather than geographical location.

BB
Old May 28th 2012, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Noorhanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There are good and bad state schools, there are good and bad private schools.

In Australia there are also Catholic and Christian fellowship schools which provide a third option. There are a small number state "selective" schools which are considered very good - they select all their students via entrance exam rather than geographical location.

BB
Hi thank you for your reply. Would you then say if its a good state school than there is no advantage to go private? Or are there private schools give more advantage in later life?

Thanx

Hanna
Old May 28th 2012, 10:06 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Private or state schooling is best in Melbourne??

Originally Posted by Noorhanna
Hi thank you for your reply. Would you then say if its a good state school than there is no advantage to go private? Or are there private schools give more advantage in later life?

Thanx

Hanna

errr - what sort of "advantage" are you looking for? If you mean "old school tie" type stuff then you may need to do some more research on the place you have chosen to emigrate to - Australians don't give a toss about which school you went to, it's your ability to do the job and to fit in with the work environment that counts.

BB
Old May 28th 2012, 10:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

errr - what sort of "advantage" are you looking for? If you mean "old school tie" type stuff then you may need to do some more research on the place you have chosen to emigrate to - Australians don't give a toss about which school you went to, it's your ability to do the job and to fit in with the work environment that counts.

BB
Most certainly don't care what primary someone went to. Regardless of what results are shown, if you find a school that suits the child and you then you go with that school whether it be private or state or church. The best school in the world with the best results could be completely wrong for your very individual child.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

BB
I can assure you that in Melbourne it is very important in the professions which school you attended. There is a very established old school tie network here.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by papilon
I can assure you that in Melbourne it is very important in the professions which school you attended. There is a very established old school tie network here.
OK fair enough, I only have experience of corporate Melbourne.

BB
Old May 28th 2012, 11:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

High School possibly but Primary? Really? That's mad.
Old May 28th 2012, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

The best private schools are those near the CBD. If you check the results of the ones in the suburbs they score about the same as the gov schools.

The best private schools cost $20k+. There is definitely an advantage to attending one (best, that is). I think it is worse here than UK - that's got a lot to do with we all live in a major city so the effects are more pronounced and observable.

The select-entry schools are available for year 9 onwards. Son attends MHS, costs me $2200. My daughter describes it as the gov. private school. It has the advantages of a private school - old boys assoc., lots of presentations from old boys on careers...

Daughter went to gov. school and has just graduated from Melbourne. Private schools are good for contacts - contacts mean nothing to most ordinary people.

If you want to go to a private school, helps to have gone to the primary feeder.

VCE school ranking http://bettereducation.com.au/Results/vce.aspx
Study scores from 2008 http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...67&postcount=4
Old May 29th 2012, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Agree entirely. True for both the professional/corporate worlds and dare I say it even in the trades.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Can't speak for Melbourne at all but the area of Sydney I live in almost all kids go to state school for primary then transfer over year 5 or 7. If you were coming to this area, I'd say save the money and don't bother going private for primary. It's SO expensive - don't think that the c.$20k is an all-in fee. We pay a fortune for books/uniform/school trips etc. Also, my 15 year old is probably doing better than in the local state school but not sure how much better. She does well in some subjects and really isn't interested in others. I told her 'you can be good at English and History down the road for free'. But too late really to change.

One family I know here decided their kids were not going to be high achievers academically and sent them to state school so they can use money for house deposits etc in the future.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45
Can't speak for Melbourne at all but the area of Sydney I live in almost all kids go to state school for primary then transfer over year 5 or 7. If you were coming to this area, I'd say save the money and don't bother going private for primary. It's SO expensive - don't think that the c.$20k is an all-in fee. We pay a fortune for books/uniform/school trips etc. Also, my 15 year old is probably doing better than in the local state school but not sure how much better. She does well in some subjects and really isn't interested in others. I told her 'you can be good at English and History down the road for free'. But too late really to change.

One family I know here decided their kids were not going to be high achievers academically and sent them to state school so they can use money for house deposits etc in the future.

I say the opposite

Spend the money teaching them the foundations and skill sets in Prep to when ever the cost burden becomes too much.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking here in brisbane at the league tables i think on average private primary schools get better results but plenty of state schools are very high on the list above dozens of private schools so if you send them private there will almost always be a state school in a different suburb which out performs the private school you have chosen. So rather than sending them private you could just move
Old May 29th 2012, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Looking here in brisbane at the league tables i think on average private primary schools get better results but plenty of state schools are very high on the list above dozens of private schools so if you send them private there will almost always be a state school in a different suburb which out performs the private school you have chosen. So rather than sending them private you could just move
and pay higher rental / mortgage for being in the zone.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
and pay higher rental / mortgage for being in the zone.
And live in a nicer area...might as well get something for your money

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.