British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Private schools in Brisbane/Gold Coast area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/private-schools-brisbane-gold-coast-area-902912/)

Curiosity2014 Sep 5th 2017 11:29 am

Private schools in Brisbane/Gold Coast area

Hello,

Newbie here. :)

We are planning to move to Australia, particularly somewhere between Brisbane and Gold Coast.

I have a 4 year old child with me to start school there.

I would like to get any/every info about private/independent schools around that areas.

I would be glad if I get info about good swimming clubs, gymnastics clubs too.

Thank you all so much in advance.

carcajou Sep 5th 2017 11:39 am

Re: Private schools in Brisbane/Gold Coast area

What visa are you arriving on?

moneypenny20 Sep 5th 2017 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Curiosity2014 (Post 12331514)
Hello,

Newbie here. :)

We are planning to move to Australia, particularly somewhere between Brisbane and Gold Coast.

I have a 4 year old child with me to start school there.

I would like to get any/every info about private/independent schools around that areas.

I would be glad if I get info about good swimming clubs, gymnastics clubs too.

Thank you all so much in advance.

I can't help unfortunately, I have no clue on that end of the coast. Can't even think of anyone up there who's still on BE. Hopefully someone will have some idea.

Curiosity2014 Sep 5th 2017 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12331522)
What visa are you arriving on?

Thanks

Curiosity2014 Sep 5th 2017 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12331527)
I can't help unfortunately, I have no clue on that end of the coast. Can't even think of anyone up there who's still on BE. Hopefully someone will have some idea.

Hope so too! :) thank you for replying my message.. :)

Kim67 Sep 6th 2017 4:04 am

If your child is 4 and you're arriving soon, you should have plenty of time to research it yourself once you're here. There are hundreds of private and independent schools between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Start by looking here: https://schoolsdirectory.eq.edu.au/

Curiosity2014 Sep 6th 2017 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 12332144)
If your child is 4 and you're arriving soon, you should have plenty of time to research it yourself once you're here. There are hundreds of private and independent schools between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Start by looking here: https://schoolsdirectory.eq.edu.au/

Thank you for the link. Understood that there are hundreds of private schools by doing research even before arriving there. I am just wondering if there are other parents here who could shade some preferences and experiences over some schools and that would help much on top of my internet research.

moneypenny20 Sep 6th 2017 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Curiosity2014 (Post 12332177)
Thank you for the link. Understood that there are hundreds of private schools by doing research even before arriving there. I am just wondering if there are other parents here who could shade some preferences and experiences over some schools and that would help much on top of my internet research.

From memory, thinking on BEers who were/are in the NGC/Brisbane area I can't think of one who used the private system. Is there a particular reason why you want private?

Kim67 Sep 7th 2017 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Curiosity2014 (Post 12332177)

I think that you should narrow down your search a little and than ask for opinions about specific suburbs or schools. That way you're comparing apples with apples.

JAYMAC Sep 7th 2017 9:58 pm

Hi there,

My son went to Coomera Anglican college - Northern Gold Coast at Upper Coomera and we were pretty happy with that. You really need to get here and get a feel for the place then research the school local to where you are living. Most of the private schools around there have a good reputation but an additional consideration would be to check out the traffic and travelling time when you choose as it can take half an hour or more to drive a 5 or 10 minute distance at school times. There are also community forums on facebook where you can ask for recommendations, eg. Gold Coast Community etc.

Julia

carcajou Sep 9th 2017 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 12333074)
I think that you should narrow down your search a little and than ask for opinions about specific suburbs or schools. That way you're comparing apples with apples.

Yes, and also, many Australians who want to send their kids to private school, usually wait until Year 11 (though the private schools are really pushing to get them enrolled in Year 9). So you can put your kids in a government school, get yourself sorted, and then enroll them in a private school at Year 9, 11, or earlier once you settle. There is absolutely no rush.

I would imagine as well there are some quite fabulous government schools in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast. I have seen the gamut (not in QLD) - government schools I would never put my own kids in, to government schools that are better than private schools.

Fred Basset Sep 19th 2017 10:56 am

Brisbane and the Gold Coast is a big area, so I would be more concerned with getting a place to work then finding an area where the schools are good.

High school in Queensland starts in year 7 of schooling where most students would be turning 12 and some 13, a lot of children will attend their local primary school before moving to a private/non government school, as a general rule the good private(expensive schools are close to Brisbane CBD area, and then radiate from there.