Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

private schools. Anyone got their kids in?

private schools. Anyone got their kids in?

Old Sep 18th 2016, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Juvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond repute
Default private schools. Anyone got their kids in?

just curious to know if anyone has their kids in private catholic school?
know anything about them, been through them, have friends in them, are they better than state schools? if so.. how so?

Ive been looking at
Marymount primary school
Assisi Catholic school

anyone know anything about them or can recommend some..
cheers.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 5:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: private schools. Anyone got their kids in?

Originally Posted by Juvefan
know anything about them, been through them, have friends in them, are they better than state schools? if so.. how so?

Ive been looking at
Marymount primary school
Assisi Catholic school

cheers.
Google says both of these schools are in QLD - is google correct?
Old Sep 18th 2016, 7:24 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

cheers.
This is a top choice and stands very high academically: St Kevin's Catholic School

I know parents with children there who are making the extra effort to commute to this school instead of taking the easy route and choosing something closer to home.

Do you have boy(s) or girl(s)? If you aren't fixed on a Catholic school then St Hilda's would be my choice for girls, plus they are partnered up with The Southport School (TSS) for boys which is also an impressive institution with a proud history.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Belle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond repute

My son is starting at Brisbane Boys College in Jan. We looked at a few and my son preferred this school out of all of them. We need a good all round school with plenty of opportunities.
Having experienced highly academic schools in UK we are looking for something more all round.
He's got an introduction to rowing next month at the school. He's really looking forward to all the different opportunities he will have that his old UK peers won't have.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few kids who went to Marymount. Seemed happy enough although none of them stayed on past primary but no idea why. A primary school is a primary school to my mind. Not much difference between private, state or church.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Juvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Google says both of these schools are in QLD - is google correct?

yes, that's correct..
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

Ive been looking at
Marymount primary school
Assisi Catholic school

cheers.

I had my kids at 'Christ the King' in Graceville. They loved it and were very happy. They are devastated they had to leave and still a year on remind me how much they miss it.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateOrange
I had my kids at 'Christ the King' in Graceville. They loved it and were very happy. They are devastated they had to leave and still a year on remind me how much they miss it.
School run would be a bitch though.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

I don't know where you're based but we were in Milton. We caught the train
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

I guess that's why it's sensible, when in a forum covering the entirety of Australia, that you write which state and neighbourhood you're in lol
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by ChocolateOrange
I guess that's why it's sensible, when in a forum covering the entirety of Australia, that you write which state and neighbourhood you're in lol
Indeed. The schools she's asked about are on the Gold Coast.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

sorry, for some reason I thought I was in a brisbane group
but realise I am just in Australia LOL..

yes, I was asking about private schools in Queensland, Brisbane/gold coast.

and just asking in general about private schools vs state schools.
the private schools are quite cheap really, so was just wondering if its worth the price, much difference etc.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

sorry, for some reason I thought I was in a brisbane group
but realise I am just in Australia LOL..

yes, I was asking about private schools in Queensland, Brisbane/gold coast.

and just asking in general about private schools vs state schools.
the private schools are quite cheap really, so was just wondering if its worth the price, much difference etc.
From what I know (probably not a lot) in Primary there isn't much difference. Depending on where you live it could make a big difference in High School but imo it still comes down to the child.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
From what I know (probably not a lot) in Primary there isn't much difference. Depending on where you live it could make a big difference in High School but imo it still comes down to the child.
Agreed. There is also a very wide variety of private schools in Australia. I'm in Victoria so don't know about Queensland schools, but certainly down here there are private schools with fees that vary from about $4,000 per year (generally Catholic or similar) up to $30,000 per year. Price isn't always an indicator of quality but many of the good state schools outrank the average to poor private ones.