Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Medical???

Private Medical???

Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

BSherlock will become famous soon enoughBSherlock will become famous soon enough
Smile Private Medical???

Is private medical cover typically included in Job packages in OZ? I ask, as this is a benefit I currently receive in the UK.

I realise that prices vary from company to company and dependent on the level of cover you opt for, but what sort of $$$$ could I expect to pay for a family of 3?

Any guidance would be gratefully received?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:11 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Re: Private Medical???

That's quite a broad question and I suppose it depends on the company you are working for.

My boyfriend and I lived in Australia for a year and neither of us were offered such a package (Aricitect and Catering industry).

There are independant medical companies that you can use.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BSherlock
Is private medical cover typically included in Job packages in OZ? I ask, as this is a benefit I currently receive in the UK.

I realise that prices vary from company to company and dependent on the level of cover you opt for, but what sort of $$$$ could I expect to pay for a family of 3?

Any guidance would be gratefully received?

I used to work in human resources in Oz.

It's really rare for medical cover to be provided.... possibly some cover for people working for insurance companies of international organisations. I understand that there is now (after a 30 yr break) some tax concessions for individuals taking out their own private medical insurance - not sure if this extends to non-working partners or children/family.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I used to work in human resources in Oz.

It's really rare for medical cover to be provided.... possibly some cover for people working for insurance companies of international organisations. I understand that there is now (after a 30 yr break) some tax concessions for individuals taking out their own private medical insurance - not sure if this extends to non-working partners or children/family.

Because the medicare system is under so much stress, huge waiting lists etc the gov wanted to push as many as poss into private health care and a 30% rebate was introduced about 4 years ago. Also penalties if you dont have private such as higher tax and penalty charges if you join after 30, amnesty tho for immigrants in first year of arrival.

Right so we got a 30% rebate, however in the last 4 years funnily enough the premiums have risen about that figure It seems most of the figures people usually quote for private are after the rebate, most co's just take the rebate off, eg ours is around $2500 a year for a family of 5 but thats after the rebate already deducted.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Because the medicare system is under so much stress, huge waiting lists etc the gov wanted to push as many as poss into private health care and a 30% rebate was introduced about 4 years ago. Also penalties if you dont have private such as higher tax and penalty charges if you join after 30, amnesty tho for immigrants in first year of arrival.

Right so we got a 30% rebate, however in the last 4 years funnily enough the premiums have risen about that figure It seems most of the figures people usually quote for private are after the rebate, most co's just take the rebate off, eg ours is around $2500 a year for a family of 5 but thats after the rebate already deducted.

We pay approx $2000 a year for a family of four after the rebate, which as jad n rich mentioned is the full 30% for immos arriving in the first year regardless of age. We've got back $1400 odd for dental (thats 2 fillings and a wisdom tooth extraction...ouch!) and optical fees this year alone.

As to whether you need it??????, I suppose the same question could also apply to life insurance, fully comp car insurance or any form of insurance. You don't to have it, but a lot of people feel more confortable with the fact that they have got it.