Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is private insurance really needed?

Wikiposts

Is private insurance really needed?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is private insurance really needed?

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
Its is one of those great dilemma's, don't have it, then something happens "which puts you on a six month wait list", and you wish you had taken it. Buy it, then in twenty years you have never used it.

When you are young we all feel we will never get ill, but age catches up with us all.

I thought about it for over 8 months, and finally decided to get it after thinking about how much more it would cost me if I waited.

You only get one year in the country before you will be hit with the Lifetime Loading Rule.

Here is Lifetime loading info

http://www.iselect.com.au/private-he...me-loading.jsp

In the end I decided that due to our ages, 43 and 45 and not getting any younger that I would go for Health Insurance, but I am lucky that I have a good salary so that helps.

You can cover for just the extra's i.e. Dental, etc and not have hospital cover. Our last dental bill would have been over $500 if it had not been for our extras cover.

We pay $82 a fortnight for a family of 4, two adults and two children.
I fully agree. If I were a yound person I would take out the cheapest private health cover that there is available for the only person that ages catches up with you. The Lifetime Loading Rule is the biggest issue plus I would want to have the choice to go to hospital when I neend it and not waiting 6 months or so.

Although if someone has dental problems, you are better off with private. In the first few years when we had private, I "made more money" from the private health cover because I needed a lot of dental work done. Additionally you don't have to pay the 1 % medicare levy when earning above a certain income. As I said look for the cheapest.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol
I see that the OP is going to be based in Sydney: he should be aware that the NSW health system is - to put it bluntly - a shambles. Years of underfunding, government cuts in the number of beds etc make the NHS look like utopia.

At least with private treatment you can often choose which hospital gives you the MRSA <g>.
i didnt think private insurance was worth it, we have no kids at mo.

I just got ambulance cover and joined nobleDentists which gives discounts on dental treatment.

So far i've used medicare for a couple of consultants appointments and an endoscopy, for the total cost of $150. So not bad.

I think though when we get a few nippers we'll probably get private cover.

But at the moment Medicare is fine for us.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:47 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsidhu
i didnt think private insurance was worth it, we have no kids at mo.

I just got ambulance cover and joined nobleDentists which gives discounts on dental treatment.

So far i've used medicare for a couple of consultants appointments and an endoscopy, for the total cost of $150. So not bad.

I think though when we get a few nippers we'll probably get private cover.

But at the moment Medicare is fine for us.
You *are* aware that each year of age that you start over 30 you get a 2% loading on the premiums, are you not? So if you start at say 45, there's an extra 30% on the premium. It maxes out at about 60%-odd.

As a concession if you join up in the first 12 months you are treated as if you're 30, regardless of your biological age.

(Just wish that my own body knew that....)
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:28 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

My insurer hates me.

We have super extras and full cover and get more than we pay back and will probably do so for the next 14 years. I am so glad I had it - I only got it because I didnt understand the pregnancy cover without it, I was warned about the levy and so I just got it.

It was a lucky decision for me but even if I didnt have it then you can still join when you have a problem but then wait a year for the benefits for the preexisting condition to kick in

Viv
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wol
You *are* aware that each year of age that you start over 30 you get a 2% loading on the premiums, are you not? So if you start at say 45, there's an extra 30% on the premium. It maxes out at about 60%-odd.

As a concession if you join up in the first 12 months you are treated as if you're 30, regardless of your biological age.

Is it possible to buy the minimum private insurance needed to avoid life time loading and medicare surcharge at the beginning when you are relatively young and later on add extra bells and whistles when you are older? Or, its just that you have to stick to the same kind of coverage all along?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
Is it possible to buy the minimum private insurance needed to avoid life time loading and medicare surcharge at the beginning when you are relatively young and later on add extra bells and whistles when you are older? Or, its just that you have to stick to the same kind of coverage all along?

Yes, that's possible. Just be aware that changing policies may mean starting from scratch with the waiting periods - ask the company or read the small print to check before you sign up.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yes, that's possible. Just be aware that changing policies may mean starting from scratch with the waiting periods - ask the company or read the small print to check before you sign up.
Thanks Wendy!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I feel I'm much wiser now than before. As it goes also.... wiser men are often more confused...
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

My mum used to be with Manchester Unity and they were really good (it was a while ago though)
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol

Yes i know, however as we plan on going back to the UK for a while after I get my citizenship next year.

It also doesnt work in our favour to get private insurance as I remember reading on one of the private insurance websites they only allow us to dorment the policy for 3 years, and we plan on going back for longer than that.

Also i think its better to have the money in our pockets in these dodgy times
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

sparkles.79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to share our experiences with medicare.

We had a huge debate when we first arrived about whether or not to get private health insurance (I wanted to but my husband thought it would be a waste of money). As a compromise we agreed to save $200 a month for any medical emergancies that may crop up. We have lived here for just over two years now and in that time I have had a miscarriage and required surgery, then the following year I had a baby but she was premature and required some treatment, my husband is also diabetic and requires on going treatment at hospital for his eyes - all of this has been on medicare. We paid for the odd scan during pregnancy and we pay for my husband's perscriptions which in England he would get for free but that is it. So what I would say is - for us medicare has been great. I do feel guilty sometimes though, feeling like we are clogging up the health system - but that is just me, my husband says I'm daft!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:07 pm

My story was a little different in that my baby was prem, I was going private and they switched me public as soon as it all went pear shaped.

My daughter has mild cp and so needs weekly physio, speech, ot etc - none of this is covered on medicare. She has needed lots of small ops -most I have gone public but then twice I ahve been caught where its public or wait and luckily have been able to say - just do whatever you need to do.

If you can afford to pay then its all good but we woudl have been short over the last few years if I didnt have it. But you know we would have got by.

Its the extras cover that pays for itself for me but I never met anyone else who says that - I also have glasses and contacts and I just got a rebate on my gym membership

Viv
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Don't forget the short fall, we pay $160 a month for 3.5 years and i had to have a small operation with medical cover it cost (xrays,doctors & consultants) close to $4000 with no insurance $6000. Only good thing was being dealt with straight away, the down side is as soon as you mention insurance doc's eyes open wide. I am sure they get little brown envelopes passed around, or maybe i am just cynical
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:14 pm

With kids though, they kind of lose the shortfall sometimes and dont make you pay it. I think they know I have lots of medical expenses. I do pay extra for all the therapies.

usually I havent had to pay hardly anything on top of my claim.

big thank you doctors!

Vivienne