Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is private insurance really needed?

Wikiposts

Is private insurance really needed?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:30 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is private insurance really needed?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think you'll find that a large number of Aussies and migrants alike don't have private health care. There's been several threads discussing it and it really sounds like in many cases it just isn't worth it.
I'm starting to believe that too. We pay over $250 per month for a family of three and just recently my wife had her remaining wisdom teeth extracted and our private cover provided us with just about nothing, when we added up the overall cost.

Going private also invariably means seeing a private consultant which, in our experience, is never covered by the private health scheme.

They do seem like a ripoff to me (thus far).
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:38 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

When we were temporary residents we didn't have it but now we have PR we pay $97 a fortnight. We used to pay the extra medicare levy and the health insurance is cheaper than the levy we were paying so we figured we may as well have something for the money we are forking out.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:40 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
When we were temporary residents we didn't have it but now we have PR we pay $97 a fortnight. We used to pay the extra medicare levy and the health insurance is cheaper than the levy we were paying so we figured we may as well have something for the money we are forking out.
Yeah, that was our reasoning before they changed the threshold to $150,000 and now I'm beginning to think it would be better to at the very least offload the 'extras' cover, if not the lot?

Thing is, Sod's Law always dictates that the moment we relinquish it is when we will really need it?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:46 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Which Insurer is that ?

I was looking at some the other day, and they all seemed to exclude almost everything during the first year.
I'm with www.cdhbf.com.au - not for profit (there are a few around). I am very, very happy with their service, prices etc. All claims have been dealt with promptly - usually get a cheque within 3 days. Dental and Physio etc excluded for 2 months (except dentures etc).

Only (small) downside is they don't have HICAPS eligibility - which means I pay upfront and then claim rather than swiping my card at the dentist or physio and only paying the difference. Not much of an issue really.

I recommend comparing their policy SIS to others - they have fairly high limits and no excess or co-payment and a long list of hospitals that they are associated with.

And no, I don't work for them! Just happy with their product and the dealings I've had.

Best search - http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/dyna...yfeatures.aspx - not associated with any proft making so includes EVERY fund in Australia.

Last edited by goldchoccycoin; Jan 19th 2009 at 12:53 pm. Reason: more info - and changed SID to SIS oops!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Some stats from some years ago:

Reasons for not being insured
66% Can’t afford it/too expensive
15% In good health/have no dependents
14% Medicare cover sufficient
13% Lack of value for money/not worth it
11% Have health care card
Some people ticked more than one option

Reasons for being insured
47% Security/protection/peace of mind
25% Choice of doctor
23% Shorter waiting times/concern over hospital waiting lists
20% Allows treatment as a private patient
22% Always had it/parents had it/condition of job
18% To obtain ancillary benefits
Some people ticked more than one option

The proportion of the population covered by hospital insurance:
1980 before Medicare it was about 60%
1998 it was 30%
2000 it was 32%
2005 it was 43.1%
Today ?? Pretty sure it was higher than 45%, but it may have dropped again due to the threshold being raised.

Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by caliburn
Trying to estimate my potential living costs in Sydney, I was wondering if one could do without buying private insurance. Are there really any big advantages that one could not live without? Isn't standard Medicare cover good enough? Aren't people happy with public hospitals?
One thing to point out here - if you come over on a 457 temporary visa your employer could write it into your contract that you must have private insurance.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tking

After waiting for 13 hours in the Emergency Dept with a friend recently I am glad I can go private if necessary.
Don't be so sure you can go private for Emergency Dept care, most hospital cover only covers you once you have actually been admitted. E.g. if you go to a private Emergency dept with a broken leg, they take a few xrays, put a cast on it and discharge you, my you generally will have to pay the full cost, your private health cover won't cover it. However, if you are admitted onto a ward with the broken leg because you need an operation or something, you will be covered for that treatment.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:12 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Don't be so sure you can go private for Emergency Dept care, most hospital cover only covers you once you have actually been admitted. E.g. if you go to a private Emergency dept with a broken leg, they take a few xrays, put a cast on it and discharge you, my you generally will have to pay the full cost, your private health cover won't cover it. However, if you are admitted onto a ward with the broken leg because you need an operation or something, you will be covered for that treatment.
I've already checked this out with my provider and I can go straight to Private Emergency - and whether I am discharged or admitted makes no difference.

Worth pointing out though - I should have included it in my thread!

Thanks.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:32 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I guess they could. I think the obligation is actually on the employer to cover medical costs but I suspect this doesn;t happen in practice very often and that instead the emplyer will encourage the employee to take out cover.

My employers (while on 457) neither provided nor forced me to get private insurance.

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
One thing to point out here - if you come over on a 457 temporary visa your employer could write it into your contract that you must have private insurance.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jayr
I guess they could. I think the obligation is actually on the employer to cover medical costs but I suspect this doesn;t happen in practice very often and that instead the emplyer will encourage the employee to take out cover.

My employers (while on 457) neither provided nor forced me to get private insurance.
The obligation is on the employer which is why they make the employee pay the insurance. My employer forces me to take the private insurance by deducting the premium from my salary
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
The obligation is on the employer which is why they make the employee pay the insurance. My employer forces me to take the private insurance by deducting the premium from my salary
Still, this place is a joke so it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't happen in practice very much!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

We have it and have had it for years. A couple of times I have been very grateful for it, having what were termed "elective" surgeries and for which I would have been waiting (at that time) nearly 2 years to be seen. Both of them were very debilitating conditions which needed surgery and I didnt grudge a cent. Also got a nice whack back on the orthodontics.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
We have it and have had it for years. A couple of times I have been very grateful for it, having what were termed "elective" surgeries and for which I would have been waiting (at that time) nearly 2 years to be seen. Both of them were very debilitating conditions which needed surgery and I didnt grudge a cent. Also got a nice whack back on the orthodontics.
Sometimes it seems PHI doesnt cover the things that are the most expensive IE: Orthodontics on kids. However when it comes to things like Hernias and other middle aged ailments, then it's great for being able to schedule into your life when and where you want the OP.

Personally at my age, just starting our 50's with two youngsters I think it's very necessary... unfortunately... I'd love not to have it.

Our family cover costs us 187 bucks per month with HCF and covers most extras, with limits of course.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tking
I've already checked this out with my provider and I can go straight to Private Emergency - and whether I am discharged or admitted makes no difference.

Worth pointing out though - I should have included it in my thread!

Thanks.
Im pretty sure if an ambulance takes you to the Emergency Dept. though they will only take you to the nearest public hospital and not a private one......
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:11 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I see that the OP is going to be based in Sydney: he should be aware that the NSW health system is - to put it bluntly - a shambles. Years of underfunding, government cuts in the number of beds etc make the NHS look like utopia.

At least with private treatment you can often choose which hospital gives you the MRSA <g>.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.