Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

private high schools near Normanhurst/Thornleigh in Sydney

private high schools near Normanhurst/Thornleigh in Sydney

Old Jul 11th 2019, 9:59 am
Just Joined

drue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default private high schools near Normanhurst/Thornleigh in Sydney

Hi, My son is in year 5 this year. There don't seem to be many good public high schools in the area. Which private schools would you recommend?
Old Jul 12th 2019, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: private high schools near Normanhurst/Thornleigh in Sydney

Originally Posted by drue
Hi, My son is in year 5 this year. There don't seem to be many good public high schools in the area. Which private schools would you recommend?
Yep. Sydney's north shore and eastern suburbs don't get decent public schools because they are wealthy areas and the public funding goes to schools in Sydney's west even though the people of these areas contribute the most to the public purse. Therefore the people of those areas are pretty much forced to go the private education.

I suspect all the private schools are decent. If not they would go out of business. Barker is nearby Normanhurst.

I guess it all depends on budget. Are you Catholic?
Old Jul 13th 2019, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yep. Sydney's north shore and eastern suburbs don't get decent public schools because they are wealthy areas and the public funding goes to schools in Sydney's west even though the people of these areas contribute the most to the public purse. Therefore the people of those areas are pretty much forced to go the private education.

I suspect all the private schools are decent. If not they would go out of business. Barker is nearby Normanhurst.

I guess it all depends on budget. Are you Catholic?
Thanks Beoz. It sucks. Barker seems to be the only option.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

When are you arriving?

High school in NSW generally starts in Year 7. So if your child is in Year 5, you can park him/her in the government primary school for Year 6 while you collect information and sort out options. Not a big deal for you to put your child in the government high school at Year 7 for a year and see how that works out and then move them if you want.

Not all private schools are decent. Choose carefully and ask around at work, and see what the neighbours are doing with their kids.

Beoz asked if you are Catholic, because not just do the Catholics have something of a parallel education system here but also because some private schools have wait lists, and if you want in to a particular Catholic private school (or Anglican etc) and there is a wait list, but you are not Catholic (or Anglican etc), guess which way the tie-breaker goes? It can be very common for families to put down deposits to ensure places when their children are in fact in early primary.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks carcajou. I don’t mind if it’s catholic or Anglican, given we’re not really practising either. :-( I just realised it seems a little too late to apply for some of the schools. I think I need to contact those private schools now and see it we can put him on their wait lists. Might have to put my son in the government school at year 7 if we don’t get an offer in time.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

The reason for asking about Catholic is that it opens up more options. Catholic schools are generally quite prejudice about being Catholic and they will certainly give Catholics priority. The non Catholic schools tend not to care.

Many private schools require enrollment at birth due to popularity. I just heard today of a family who tried to enrol their 4 year old at Newington College for year 7 in 2026 and it's already booked out.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 7:12 am
Just Joined

We are not Catholics, so one door closed. I know we are very late. Will just do our best, and hope my son can get into a good school.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by drue
We are not Catholics, so one door closed. I know we are very late. Will just do our best, and hope my son can get into a good school.
Neither are we but we got our son into a Catholic school to open up opportunities for high school. Luckily it wasn't a full year. I hope they don't expect us to turn up to church on Sundays.