Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health Insurance for Retirement Visa

Private Health Insurance for Retirement Visa

Old May 2nd 2006, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

eVER hopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Private Health Insurance for Retirement Visa

I applied for a retirement visa last year and am approaching the time where I have to take out private health insurance as part of the visa requirement. Because I am an older applicant I know my age will count against me. Family circumstances mean that I will not be travelling to Australia for another few months, so I am looking for a policy which is not too expensive. Can anybody help?
Old May 3rd 2006, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Health Insurance for Retirement Visa

We're very happy with Medibank Private (Optimal Cover) for Overseas Visitors/retirees.
www.medibank.com.au
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lesleys
We're very happy with Medibank Private (Optimal Cover) for Overseas Visitors/retirees.
www.medibank.com.au

Thank you for your reply. Will contact them for a quote.
Old May 4th 2006, 3:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We took out this sort of policy with Australian Unity: it was something like $1900 pa for the two of us.

There are not that many insurers who offer the sort of insurance that DIMIA accept for retirement visas.
Old May 4th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eVER hopeful
Thank you for your reply. Will contact them for a quote.
NB The premium is NOT related to age or medical history
Old May 4th 2006, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wol
We took out this sort of policy with Australian Unity: it was something like $1900 pa for the two of us.

There are not that many insurers who offer the sort of insurance that DIMIA accept for retirement visas.
Thank you for your reply. I now have two companies from which to get a quote.
Old May 4th 2006, 10:10 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, too, that AU were very good when we cancelled the policy start-up (because we got a different and permanent visa - they refunded the premium less a handling fee.
Old May 5th 2006, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

I applied for a retirement visa last year and am approaching the time where I have to take out private health insurance as part of the visa requirement. Because I am an older applicant I know my age will count against me. Family circumstances mean that I will not be travelling to Australia for another few months, so I am looking for a policy which is not too expensive. Can anybody help?
Hi eVER,

my parents are interested in applying for a retirement visa. Did you have to put down a lot of money for it and does it take a long time to approve this kind of visa? I assume this way that you don't have to be sponsored (although we should be in a position to sponsor them anyway).

Any advice about this visa would be great.

Thanks

Sun
Old May 5th 2006, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
Hi eVER,

my parents are interested in applying for a retirement visa. Did you have to put down a lot of money for it and does it take a long time to approve this kind of visa? I assume this way that you don't have to be sponsored (although we should be in a position to sponsor them anyway).

Any advice about this visa would be great.

Thanks

Sun
I applied for the visa last year just before the requirements changed. They are now much more difficult and you have to be very wealthy to get through on the new conditions. It needn't take very long if you fit the requirements but I wasn't trying to get through the process quickly and am now nearing the final stage. You have to have the usual health check and police clearance. I didn't have anyone to sponsor me. I used as agent to help me through the process and although not the cheapest around he has been absolutely excellent. Can pass on his name if you wish.
Old May 5th 2006, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Smile Re: Private Health Insurance for Retirement Visa

I applied for the visa last year just before the requirements changed. They are now much more difficult and you have to be very wealthy to get through on the new conditions. It needn't take very long if you fit the requirements but I wasn't trying to get through the process quickly and am now nearing the final stage. You have to have the usual health check and police clearance. I didn't have anyone to sponsor me. I used as agent to help me through the process and although not the cheapest around he has been absolutely excellent. Can pass on his name if you wish.
Thanks eVER that would be great if you could pass on the agent's name. I think that my parents are going to see how we get on over there and if we stay there, they might join us as they have been serveral times before and always wanted to live there.

Thanks
Old May 5th 2006, 9:15 am
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough

Thanks eVER that would be great if you could pass on the agent's name. I think that my parents are going to see how we get on over there and if we stay there, they might join us as they have been serveral times before and always wanted to live there.

Thanks

We have Retirement Visas which we managed to get before the changes to requirements. Our Agent in Perth was absolutely wonderful, and not expensive. I too can pass on her name if you want it. We are waiting to sell up and then are on our way to Perth...... By the way, the Visas took 10 months from beginning to end, which we thought was pretty good going.

Theresa
Old May 5th 2006, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by keep smiling
We have Retirement Visas which we managed to get before the changes to requirements. Our Agent in Perth was absolutely wonderful, and not expensive. I too can pass on her name if you want it. We are waiting to sell up and then are on our way to Perth...... By the way, the Visas took 10 months from beginning to end, which we thought was pretty good going.

Theresa
Thanks Thersa, that would be great. 10 months seems really quick. Did you have to put down a bond or anything or do you just have to prove your financial status. Also can I ask how much the visa cost?

Cheers
Old May 5th 2006, 9:25 am
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Thersa, that would be great. 10 months seems really quick. Did you have to put down a bond or anything or do you just have to prove your financial status. Also can I ask how much the visa cost?

Cheers
I will send you a PM.

To eVER hopeful : We are with Medicare Private, and although not the cheapest they were willing to wait for payment until we actually get to Oz
Old May 5th 2006, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

We have the old style retirement visas - we had to prove we had $650000 'available' (solicitor's letter after we sold the house) and that we had bought the medical insurance. It took about 4 months to get the visa.

Back on the insurance - have a close look at the extras you can get. We have saved literally thousands on dentist's fees since we arrived with ours. Eye tests are free and glasses are subsidised up to $250 per year each.
Old May 5th 2006, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks
The company which has handled this for me is
Advance Australia Visas PTY LTD
e-mail [email protected]
Telephone 61 8 9387 1033

The person to ask for is Andrew Emmott.
I have found him efficient and most courteous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.