Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health insurance for permanent residents...

Private Health insurance for permanent residents...

Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:21 am
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default Private Health insurance for permanent residents...

Hello all,

The shippers are finalising the last few boxes (woo hoo!) - I'm a bit of a spare part so I'm getting on with a few preparations. Finally got round to thinking about medicare/health insurance.

Here in the UK we have a BUPA plan. I'm finding all the medicare stuff very confusing (I guess juts because it's unfamiliar - I'm sure once we're there it will be more obvious....).

I think the simplest way to put hte question is to say we want to have similar cover to our existing - i.e. NHS+Bupa. But there is other stuff of course like dental things (we're private here and just pay as we go..). What kind of policy should we go for to give us similar cover? What is already provided by medicare etc etc.

I've also read that there is a levy for each year that that you have to pay if you haven't taken out private insurance - will we have to pay this as new migrants..?

Sorry - wanted to keep it simple, but it's not! Help please!

S.Dog.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Private Health insurance for permanent residents...

Check out http://www.bupa.com.au/ and see what they can do for transferring you.

Medicare Levy
Almost everyone pays this.
A Medicare Levy, currently at 1.5% of income, is charged to Individuals.
In a similar way to the UK "National Insurance Contributions", the Australian system has a Medicare Levy charged to most taxpayers, to go towards the costs of the Australian Medical System.

Medicare Levy Surcharge MLS
A Medicare Levy Surcharge, currently at 1% of income, is charged to Individuals and Families, whose incomes exceed certain thresholds, AND who do not hold a qualifying private patient hospital cover.

The 2009-10 thresholds are:
$ 73,000 for singles.
$146,000 for couples and families.
plus $1,500 for each dependent child after the first.
A hospital cover insurance policy with an excess over $500 for singles, or $1,000 for a family, taken out after 24 May 2000, does NOT qualify for MLS purposes.

Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:50 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

www.privatehealth.gov.au is a great start. Make sure you consider age loading too.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Do a search here. loads of posts on this recently inc one by moi. Will help
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:26 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

I found it all pretty confusing too!

You will not be charged an age loading if you take out private cover within a year of moving over.

Like for like cover with the uk is difficult as insurance here gives you a limit for cover and when you go over that, you pay the difference (the gap). I was confused by this term until I got the first dental bill. Of $250 for a filling falling out, my insurance paid $75, the difference was the gap - and here was me thinking I had insurance!

I have found doctors cheaper than uk and dentists much more expensive - the quote I have for a cap from the dentist is $1400 and insurance refunds about $300 once I have had the cover a year!!!

On doctors, you pay the docs every time you make an appointment and claim a set amount back from medicare (bet that would solve the missed appointments problem in the uk!). You can also choose to be treated free under medicare but may wait a long time for non urgent care. If you go private do not assume you will get most of your costs back from insurance (the gap thing again)

Get a few quotes for the sort of cover you want
Good luck
Scotty
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:14 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Scotty1 is correct: there isn't really a comparable insurance to the UK private cover, which pays just about all the bills (except for any excess).

In Oz, the insurance pays the hospital, but all the other bills are refunded only in part - and a very small part in many cases.

Basically it pays the difference between the Medicare assessed fee and the Medicare refund, but the surgeon will usually charge considerably more than the former and you have to pay that difference. There may be an excess too.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:29 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted a bupa type cover and went for medibank private with some sort of blue ribbon cover I think they call it - it was the top-end of what they offer.

family of 4 - 240$/Mth after the 1% medicare tax loading has been removed

i dont know if they're the best - but they've been bloody good all the times we've used it (and thats a lot ).

Becuase of my laziness when moving i missed the registration period by 1 week to avoid the 30+ loading, something that has cost me over 3K$ by now (rue!) so be aware of that cut-off.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Scotty1
On doctors, you pay the docs every time you make an appointment
I've never come across a doctor that does that. But then, almost all my doctors have bulk billed, so no cost to me.

An interesting article here...

Many people with private health insurance are concerned about the gap. The gap is the difference between what a health fund pays and what a particular medical service costs, which you must pay out of your own pocket. Right now, more than 83% of all privately insured medical services in hospital have no gap at all

http://www.privatehealth.com.au/improvements.htm