Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health Insurance - Exclusion Period for New Immigrants

Private Health Insurance - Exclusion Period for New Immigrants

Old Dec 18th 2011, 8:07 pm
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of
Default Private Health Insurance - Exclusion Period for New Immigrants

I recently qualified for Medicare, and subsequently took out Private Health Insurance. I was able to avoid any age loading due my letter from medicare.

But I still have a 12 month exclusion period for some coverage. Just checking if anyone managed to avoid the 12 month exclusion period due being a new immigrant? And if so, how!
Thanks!
Old Dec 18th 2011, 8:38 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Health Insurance - Exclusion Period for New Immigrants

Is the 12 month waiting period anything to do with being a new migrant?

Most policies have waiting periods up to 12 months for certain things - regardless of who takes out the policy - so you shouldn't expect that wouldn't apply to you.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Is the 12 month waiting period anything to do with being a new migrant?

Most policies have waiting periods up to 12 months for certain things - regardless of who takes out the policy - so you shouldn't expect that wouldn't apply to you.
Our policy had 6 month exclusion for previous conditions and 9 months for pregnancy services. This was a general condition, not because of immigration status.

However, my wife became ill after only 3 months...as both Dr and consultant wrote a letter saying its was not pre-exisiting, they paid out - same would happen if you broke your leg for example.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 10:11 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

The 12 month (and sometimes 3 months or even 24/36 month) exclusion periods are a standard feature. This is not applied if you have changed from a previous Health Insurer (i.e. if I am with Medibank for 3 years and then get a policy with Bupa, there is no waiting period).

Therefore, if you had Private Health insurance overseas they may allow you to not serve the waiting period. I know of a couple who had fairly high level cover with Bupa UK and then joined whoever Bupa used to be in Australia (they are now called Bupa) with no waiting periods.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:31 am
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the replies.

I understand there is an exclusion period as standard for all, but was hoping it would be waived for new immigrants providing you take the health insurance out as soon you are eligible to (like the age loading is waived).

I did have private health insurance overseas for many years. Then I moved here on a PMV, I was not eligible to take out private health insurance here until I lodged my application for temporary spouse visa and got medicare cover.

So for the interim I had travel insurance to cover me. Once I qualified to take out private health insurance I took it out, but although I have had private health insurance for 20+ years prior to moving here, it looks like I am facing exemptions in cover.

Ah well, public it is then! Thanks again.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 1:15 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

You'll only 'not' be covered for the duration of the exemption period. Unless you have an immediate medical need (which I would hope Public would cover) then you'll just need to wait 12 months for treatment/pay out of your own pocket for 12 months. Alternatively, maybe contact your provider and show proof of your prior cover and travel insurance, the worst they can say is they won't remove the waiver.