Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health Insurance

Private Health Insurance

Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:42 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough
Default Private Health Insurance

i am looking for private health insurance company that covers dental, i heard about some that cover dental but u have to wait for 2 years till u be covered by dental insurance
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:52 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Health Insurance

Originally Posted by NewOZ
i am looking for private health insurance company that covers dental, i heard about some that cover dental but u have to wait for 2 years till u be covered by dental insurance
You need to do a bit more googling and read the plans in details. I agree it can be confusing.

have you tried iselect.com.au (I know it only has 5 companies in comparison) but it is a place to start.

The two years wait period for dental may be for some items like orthodontic or serious level work, most cover within 6 months for normal appointments and cleans and polish etc.

What specific cover do you need?

Cheers
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sandra
You need to do a bit more googling and read the plans in details. I agree it can be confusing.

have you tried iselect.com.au (I know it only has 5 companies in comparison) but it is a place to start.

The two years wait period for dental may be for some items like orthodontic or serious level work, most cover within 6 months for normal appointments and cleans and polish etc.

What specific cover do you need?

Cheers
What worries me the serios stuff
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:11 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Dental insurance is only available on an 'auxilary' plan.This costs extra. Depending on what you earn you may be able to access govt dental services, if not, shop around is the advice. There is no shortage of shady dentists here.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Dental insurance is only available on an 'auxilary' plan.This costs extra. Depending on what you earn you may be able to access govt dental services, if not, shop around is the advice. There is no shortage of shady dentists here.
does gov. have dental insurance (like midicare?)
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

does gov. have dental insurance (like midicare?)
Not sure you are being clear on the question being asked....?

Insurance for teeth? Like paying in case they all fall out? Not on medicare...they will give you dentures after you spend months in line.

For me the serious stuff is paying $5K for one child and going on $9K for the other for orthondontic, which does not include any normal dental treatment. If serious stuff means adult root canals and crowns and dentures....well maybe depends on what cover you pay for. But in my opinion dental what ever you pay ïnsurance" on pays for a limit and then you are on your own.

Hope I am getting near the question you ask.

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:57 am
Just Joined

beachgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Just taken out MBF insurance - MBF standard hospital plan plus 'young extras'

Usually you have to wait 6 months to claim for dental work (there are limits and restrictions they set) but they are doing a promotion just now that waives the time restrictions (except on obstetrics which is still 12 months) - so you can claim some expenses back right away for dental work and other extras such as optical, physio and alternative therapies. See www.mbf.com.au to do an online quote and compare different levels of packages - its a very user friendly website and explains it all well depending on your situation.

BG
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by beachgal
Just taken out MBF insurance - MBF standard hospital plan plus 'young extras'

Usually you have to wait 6 months to claim for dental work (there are limits and restrictions they set) but they are doing a promotion just now that waives the time restrictions (except on obstetrics which is still 12 months) - so you can claim some expenses back right away for dental work and other extras such as optical, physio and alternative therapies. See www.mbf.com.au to do an online quote and compare different levels of packages - its a very user friendly website and explains it all well depending on your situation.

BG
A $500 excess per person per year.

"..Should you require treatment for a service which is excluded from your level of cover no benefits are payable by MBF for any of the hospital or doctor's charges associated with that admission.."

I remain unconvinced on the benefits of private medical insurance but if I did take it out it would have to be with a provider that is not run for profit.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ossigeno

"..Should you require treatment for a service which is excluded from your level of cover no benefits are payable by MBF for any of the hospital or doctor's charges associated with that admission.."

I remain unconvinced on the benefits of private medical insurance but if I did take it out it would have to be with a provider that is not run for profit.
I think you will find everybody who has any sort of company/business is in it for the profit ultimately
Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

beachgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ossigeno

I don't have a $500 excess!!!????????? What are you implying? Our excess is only $200 and you can have no excess -you choose this when you take the insurance out.

BG
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tabby
I think you will find everybody who has any sort of company/business is in it for the profit ultimately
There are a few private medical insurance companies in Australia that are non-profit organisations. I think BUPA is the UK is non-profit.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beachgal
I don't have a $500 excess!!!????????? What are you implying? Our excess is only $200 and you can have no excess -you choose this when you take the insurance out.

BG
I just did the online quote and that it what it came up with for me. I am just trying to say the case for private medical is not clear cut and as a matter of principal I think it is the governments responsibility to provide medical treatment for every citizen. Access to medical treatment should not be based upon personal wealth or insurance, that's my strong belief and I won't ever be convinced otherwise. Governments continue to run down the state system and encourage all of us to take out private medical insurance because it ultimately benefits them not us.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere that dental insurance is not worth it.

For starters, you'd need you teeth examined before being provided any insurance on them (i guess to stop peeople taking out the insurance just to have wisdom teeth removed the following month, and then cancelling the insurance)