Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health Insurance

Private Health Insurance

Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice
Default Private Health Insurance

Been here 5 months now and really need to get the health insurance sorted out.
I believe after being here a year and over 30 the insurance companies start to add percentages for every year that you are over 30.

Does anyone have any recommendations for health insurance and experience of using them.

Long and hard search ahead.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Private Health Insurance

If you want to compare a variety of private health insurers in one place have a look at www.iselect.com.au. However, first consider joining Choice (www.choice.com.au), a non-profit consumer organisation which does a regular comparative analysis of health funds in Australia and provides access to a program which will recommend the best fund for "your circumstances'. I think the cost is about $13 per quarter - and that includes access to all their surveys on what are the best TV's, fridges, breakfast cereals, cameras, etc., etc., you can buy.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 12:07 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
I believe after being here a year and over 30 the insurance companies start to add percentages for every year that you are over 30.

Does anyone have any recommendations for health insurance and experience of using them.

Dude - make that search Bloody quick - because its 6 months not a year.

We didnt bother - having been life long bupa members thru work in UK decided not to bother here , partly because forgot to join before the 6mths and now the impetus is gone. Secondly because the Medicare system and hospitals we have near us seem pretty good so dont need the bupa backup t oget quick appointments.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Originally Posted by spalen
Dude - make that search Bloody quick - because its 6 months not a year.

We didnt bother - having been life long bupa members thru work in UK decided not to bother here , partly because forgot to join before the 6mths and now the impetus is gone. Secondly because the Medicare system and hospitals we have near us seem pretty good so dont need the bupa backup t oget quick appointments.
I have a friend who has just taken out cover, he has been here for just over a year. He was told about the % increase if he waited until after the year had passed.

I will look into it. Thanks for the reply.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fardell
If you want to compare a variety of private health insurers in one place have a look at www.iselect.com.au. However, first consider joining Choice (www.choice.com.au), a non-profit consumer organisation which does a regular comparative analysis of health funds in Australia and provides access to a program which will recommend the best fund for "your circumstances'. I think the cost is about $13 per quarter - and that includes access to all their surveys on what are the best TV's, fridges, breakfast cereals, cameras, etc., etc., you can buy.
Thanks very much, I'll have a look.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Thanks very much, I'll have a look.
Private health care in AUS is a total rip off. We have not bothered. My wife works for Medicare as an advisor and I here about all the screwups and rip offs all the time.

The whole system is geared to cater for greedy doctors.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshole
Private health care in AUS is a total rip off. We have not bothered. My wife works for Medicare as an advisor and I here about all the screwups and rip offs all the time.

The whole system is geared to cater for greedy doctors.
So is ambulance cover something that can be taken out seperately? What are the benefits of having private health care. I had it through my company in the UK and used it a few times. Was glad to have it. Is the system here completely different?
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

So is ambulance cover something that can be taken out seperately? What are the benefits of having private health care. I had it through my company in the UK and used it a few times. Was glad to have it. Is the system here completely different?
Yes, private health care in the UK is different and better than private here.

If for example you had BUPA cover in the UK you would be fully covered for proceedures etc. Just like the NHS but you would get seen faster and get a nice room. In AUS, The public heathcare system and Medicare (they are seperate) cover a certain % of a proceedure. Private is supposed to cover the gap/shortfall. But in most cases does not. My wife gets calls daily from distressed patients, tales of financial issues and hassling doctors etc.

Ambulance cover on the other hand is a must, very important if you are in the sticks and need airlifting etc. And the cover is cheap too.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:05 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I have NIB cover organised by work which has proved pretty good to date (although I have only used it for dental work).

Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshole
Yes, private health care in the UK is different and better than private here.

If for example you had BUPA cover in the UK you would be fully covered for proceedures etc. Just like the NHS but you would get seen faster and get a nice room. In AUS, The public heathcare system and Medicare (they are seperate) cover a certain % of a proceedure. Private is supposed to cover the gap/shortfall. But in most cases does not. My wife gets calls daily from distressed patients, tales of financial issues and hassling doctors etc.

Ambulance cover on the other hand is a must, very important if you are in the sticks and need airlifting etc. And the cover is cheap too.
Thanks very much for the detail. I guess I'll need to get the ambulance cover sorted and investigate the pros and cons to Private Health Care.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Someone mentioned you have to elect within 6 months of arrival - as usual, I don't think it's as simple as that (unless they've changed it again) and you have a minimum of one year. See http://www.exfin.com/Health-NoteforMigrants.php - it should also be spelled out somewhere on the Health Commission website, but I can't find it.....

Thanks very much for the detail. I guess I'll need to get the ambulance cover sorted and investigate the pros and cons to Private Health Care.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:54 am
ABCDiamond

Lifetime Health cover loading

New migrants receive a grace period to purchase hospital insurance without incurring a Lifetime Health cover loading, "A loading of 2 per cent on top of a member's premium will apply for each year a member's lifetime health cover age is above 30 when they first take out hospital cover." www.health.gov.au

Migrants who become eligible for Medicare on or after 23 April 2004 do not pay a Lifetime Health Cover loading if they purchase hospital cover by the later of:
* the 1 July following their 31st birthday, or
* the first anniversary of the date they became eligible for Medicare.
If you were born on or before 1 July 1934, you are not affected by Lifetime Health Cover. This means that you can purchase hospital insurance at any time and you will always pay the base rate premium.

Example:

Monique migrates to Australia and becomes eligible for Medicare on 1 March 2005. She first purchases hospital insurance on 15 June 2006, when she is aged 35. Monique will pay a loading, because she did not purchase hospital cover before 1 March 2006, which is the first anniversary of the day she became eligible for Medicare. Monique's loading will be calculated according to her Lifetime Health Cover age.

Medical Info