Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PRIVATE HEALTH COVER ? HELP IN CHOOSING

PRIVATE HEALTH COVER ? HELP IN CHOOSING

Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

obogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the roughobogk is a jewel in the rough
Default PRIVATE HEALTH COVER ? HELP IN CHOOSING

Hi There
There is 3 of us (me, husband and 2 year old) - we only have the medicare reciprocal care being on a work sponsor visa? Can anyone recommend any private health cover and eg of costs and how worth while it is ? Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:54 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of
Default Re: PRIVATE HEALTH COVER ? HELP IN CHOOSING

This is a "how long is a piece of string" question..

If you are earning more than $100,000 for the family you will be up for a surcharge come tax time if you do not have hospital cover. it is 1% of your gross income, so that starts at $1,000.

I have gold hospital with GMF health based in Kalgoorlie because we are in the process of having kids and the fund pays the hospital fees without any fuss.

If you dont have any reason to think you are going to be claiming hospital expenses this year, then you can pick the cheapest offer going..
FYI GMF Bronze hospital only is $1050 a year approx.

another thing to bear in mind, the health funds add a surcharge of 2% on every year past your 30th birthday for every year you didn't have hospital cover.

As for the matter of extras, Dental, optical, chiro etc.. thats purely a lifestyle choice, I have extras at the moment but once junior is here, if he's healthy then we will be ditching the extras cover as i think saving the premium in an account will give me better results when we go to the dentist. (in 10 years when braces are a possibility then that might be a different matter )
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:42 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

i have HIF top cover and top ancillaries, but my company pay 2500 a year towards it.

But, if you are on a work sponsored visa, are they required to cover you? I was on a 457 and had full cigna cover.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Newbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant futureNewbie_Al has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by obogk
Hi There
There is 3 of us (me, husband and 2 year old) - we only have the medicare reciprocal care being on a work sponsor visa? Can anyone recommend any private health cover and eg of costs and how worth while it is ? Thanks
Hi there you can have a gander here - this will give you the costs
http://www.iselect.com.au/index.jsp
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:53 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Iselect.com will give you an idea, but they only have a few providers and are not necessarily the cheapest.

But it is a good starting place for your investigations
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obogk
Hi There
You are on a temporary visa then?

In which case the choice is limited - Australian Unity do a temporary visa cover policy - I found them pretty helpful.