Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:13 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Tilly, Sorry if I confused you. We had our 'visas approved' email just yesterday & it was stated on there. They also gave us the link for any further info.

Leigh

Hi Sandra
You've definately confused me now You're saying you don't have to have the insurance on the 457 but have stated many companies either offer it as part of the package or make it a condition of your contract to ensure you take it out personally, which is what i was saying. So either way you would have insurance on the 457 wouldn't you

Leigh
Hi Leigh

Sorry about the confusion what I was trying to say it is not a legal requirement of a 457 visa to have health insurance.

And then I was trying to say whilst it is not a legal requirement many companies still insist on making it part of contractual agreement to have health insurance.

Therefore it is possible to be in Aus from the UK on a 457 with no private medical insurance. You will be covered by the reciprocal agreement - your company may be liable to cover costs outside that reciprocal agreement. So for example a spouse of an employee suddenly had a long term expensive ailment that is not covered on reciprocal, eg maybe MS - chances are the company will send you all home - hence why some companies insist you get insurance.

Hope I am not cofusing this more

Cheers
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

Originally Posted by Sandra
Hi Leigh

Sorry about the confusion what I was trying to say it is not a legal requirement of a 457 visa to have health insurance.

And then I was trying to say whilst it is not a legal requirement many companies still insist on making it part of contractual agreement to have health insurance.

Therefore it is possible to be in Aus from the UK on a 457 with no private medical insurance. You will be covered by the reciprocal agreement - your company may be liable to cover costs outside that reciprocal agreement. So for example a spouse of an employee suddenly had a long term expensive ailment that is not covered on reciprocal, eg maybe MS - chances are the company will send you all home - hence why some companies insist you get insurance.

Hope I am not cofusing this more

Cheers
I get you now Thanks

Leigh