Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

Old May 7th 2006, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

OK, so I know it's been discussed before but I'm still really confused.

I have looked at policies and they are all coming in about the same - $416 per month! That's for the 3 of us, with hospital, extras and obstetrics (well, accidents can happen!). And it's so high because we're classed as overseas visitors due to the 457 visa.

Anyway, what I was wondering is... is it worth it?

I know we get "immediately necessary" treatment on the Medicare Reciprocal Health Agreement and, truth be told, that's all we ever used the nhs for anyway - emergencies. I wasn't down the GP every week with a sniffle lol

I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of having the cover but I'm still confused. Had we been entitled to the Family assistance (like we'd been told, but have since been told we can't get, due to the 457 visa) then that would pretty much cover the health care fees. As it stands at the moment, it'll be a real pinch to fork out that much each month. So much for this being a new start financially

So... what do you guys think? Is private health care worth it?

Thanks

Tilly
Old May 8th 2006, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Health Cover (again, sorry!)

Originally Posted by TillyG

I have looked at policies and they are all coming in about the same - $416 per month! That's for the 3 of us, with hospital, extras and obstetrics (well, accidents can happen!). And it's so high because we're classed as overseas visitors due to the 457 visa.

I know we get "immediately necessary" treatment on the Medicare Reciprocal Health Agreement and, truth be told, that's all we ever used the nhs for anyway - emergencies. I wasn't down the GP every week with a sniffle lol

I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of having the cover but I'm still confused. Had we been entitled to the Family assistance (like we'd been told, but have since been told we can't get, due to the 457 visa) then that would pretty much cover the health care fees. As it stands at the moment, it'll be a real pinch to fork out that much each month. So much for this being a new start financially

Thanks

Tilly
Hi Tilly, 457 you are eligible for medicare, not much different to the NHS, and we managed with that all our lives.
Its just here we worry.
Medicare is good, we have no complaints whatsoever, even my mum on hols was well looked after.
Afriend of ours, her mum had major heart surgery here, she went to docs feeling unwell. 2 days later she was in Perth having operation, gave her a new lease of life. In UK she could have died, gone on a waiting list.
Dont get me wrong you hear horror stories here as well.
So i have opted for the basic, dental, optical, Ambulance. see how it goes.
good luck, Denise
Old May 8th 2006, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi Tilly, 457 you are eligible for medicare, not much different to the NHS, and we managed with that all our lives.
Its just here we worry.
Medicare is good, we have no complaints whatsoever, even my mum on hols was well looked after.
Afriend of ours, her mum had major heart surgery here, she went to docs feeling unwell. 2 days later she was in Perth having operation, gave her a new lease of life. In UK she could have died, gone on a waiting list.
Dont get me wrong you hear horror stories here as well.
So i have opted for the basic, dental, optical, Ambulance. see how it goes.
good luck, Denise
Thanks Denise

Can I be nosy and ask you how much you're paying (and whether it's just for you or for a couple or family)? Who are you with? I've tried to shop around but they all seem to come out around the $400 mark. I'm thinking of scrapping the obstetrics bit (for if we have a baby) as that's not on the cards at all these days
Old May 8th 2006, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TillyG

Thanks

Tilly
Ive been here for 9 years and never needed to use it so for us it is a waste of money. I am thinking of cancelling it as my youngest is 18. If I had saved the money myself it would have been better. If an emergency occurs you can get medical treatment on Medicare but you wont get a private room or the doctor of your choice. There will be some fees but nothing compared to a private patient.
Old May 8th 2006, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

Tilly[/QUOTE]

Hi Tilly,

We are also on a 457 Visa and have private medical insurance through the company with HBA. We are paying $300 for 2 Adults and 1 child. We have the overseas visitor cover but not the extras option (should have in hindsight as recent visit to the dentist cost $300)

I thought we did not have a choice and that part of the visa conditions is that the nominee has to have private health cover. Were you told this?

Also, what happens when you go to the GP for say the flu - would this be covered under the reciprocal agreement, I must admit I thought medically necessary was something severe like breaking a leg or something!
Old May 8th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aaron8123
I thought we did not have a choice and that part of the visa conditions is that the nominee has to have private health cover. Were you told this?
Nope, not told a thing. Granted, that was DH's remit - it's him who got the job and the visa - so no doubt he omitted to tell me - grr!
Old May 8th 2006, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aaron8123

Hi Tilly,

We are also on a 457 Visa and have private medical insurance through the company with HBA. We are paying $300 for 2 Adults and 1 child. We have the overseas visitor cover but not the extras option (should have in hindsight as recent visit to the dentist cost $300)

Also, what happens when you go to the GP for say the flu - would this be covered under the reciprocal agreement, I must admit I thought medically necessary was something severe like breaking a leg or something!
We're going on a 457 visa. We have also been told by DH sponsoring employers it is a condition that we have private health cover. It states this in his contract.

Leigh

Last edited by leigh&ivan; May 8th 2006 at 6:47 am.
Old May 8th 2006, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
We're going on a 457 visa. We have also been told by DH sponsoring employers it is a condition that we have private health cover. It states this in his contract.

Leigh
Oh cr*p - I'd best dig out DH's contract... stupid numpty didn't really read it... I thought I could trust him to do 1 little thing (read his contract) while I sorted out every other thing
Old May 11th 2006, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

This debate has me scratching my head a bit. I thought almost everyone got private medical cover when on a 457 because i) anyone sponsoring you had to sign an open ended guarantee to the Federal Government to cover medical costs incurred - which makes sponsors nervous(!) and ii) you are only covered by Medicare for emergency treatment under the reciprocal agreement. I suppose you could take the risk, but I wouldn't like it if I were the sponsor - and this is probably why it's often a contractual requirement.
Old May 11th 2006, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fardell
This debate has me scratching my head a bit. I thought almost everyone got private medical cover when on a 457 because i) anyone sponsoring you had to sign an open ended guarantee to the Federal Government to cover medical costs incurred - which makes sponsors nervous(!) and ii) you are only covered by Medicare for emergency treatment under the reciprocal agreement. I suppose you could take the risk, but I wouldn't like it if I were the sponsor - and this is probably why it's often a contractual requirement.
I wasn't aware that I HAD to have health cover as a requirement of the visa - I, foolishly, left that side of things to my husband while I sorted out every other little thing (like selling our house, finding us a place to live in Oz, nothing major )

We will be sorting ours out start of next week - DH gets paid on Monday and it should have his backdated LAFHA which should cover the annual premium Then I can start saving up for next year's
Old May 11th 2006, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Ahhhh, what a strange, distorted sense of priorities I am not sure that health coverage is a visa condition - they would have to indicate what level of cover is required blah, blah, blah. I am going to check it. I am also told that medical coverage for wife+hubby+2 should be around $300pm, but that was from a quick SMS with a broker - sounded expensive until I read the quotes above. Not sure what it covers .. the itsy bitsy fine print should always be read!
Old May 11th 2006, 7:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I am aware your employers should be responsible for your health cover on a 457.

Medicare is only available to you IN AN EMERGENCY.It is not the same as NHS cover. It would not cover routine treatment or a non urgent operation etc.

G
Old May 11th 2006, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fardell
Ahhhh, what a strange, distorted sense of priorities I am not sure that health coverage is a visa condition - they would have to indicate what level of cover is required blah, blah, blah. I am going to check it. I am also told that medical coverage for wife+hubby+2 should be around $300pm, but that was from a quick SMS with a broker - sounded expensive until I read the quotes above. Not sure what it covers .. the itsy bitsy fine print should always be read!
$310 from IMAN (on aushealth.com.au) covers hospital, extras and ambulance cover.

The $416 figure covers obstetrics and newborn services - but doesn't kick in for 12 months.

If you're an Aussie, expect to pay half that amount per month
Old May 11th 2006, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
As far as I am aware your employers should be responsible for your health cover on a 457.

Medicare is only available to you IN AN EMERGENCY.It is not the same as NHS cover. It would not cover routine treatment or a non urgent operation etc.

G
DH has spoken to the relevant bods at work and they have no health cover scheme and told him it's for him (read "me" ) to sort out.

I know about Medicare's Reciprocal Health Care Agreement - basically, if we get hit by a bus, we're covered. It would only cover GP consultation fees (about $60 for 15mins here in Cremorne, for an adult) IF it was for an "immediately necessary" reason.

Which is why I'm looking at private cover. We have decided to use some of the LAFHA money that we get for being on the 457 visa to pay for it.

It just meant we had to rejuggle our budgets etc and just won't be able to save quite as much as we had hoped.

But, as long as we aren't going into debt, then I'll be happy I think. We can't get credit here - thank goodness - and we shall be cancelling our UK credit cards once they're paid off (if our house sale ever completes - meant to be tomorrow but haven't even exchanged yet - grrr!)
Old May 11th 2006, 7:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that you would become eligible for medicare if you make an application for PR.....if that is what you want or plan to do.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.