Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private health care - can we transfer it to Oz from UK

Private health care - can we transfer it to Oz from UK

Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Private health care - can we transfer it to Oz from UK

Does anyone know if we can just take our private health care policy with Aviva when we emigrate please? The thought of listing all our ailments and then getting excluded for them is not good. Cheers
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private health care - can we transfer it to Oz from UK

No. It works on a different system here. Premiums do not depend on on your pre-existing conditions. You won't be able to claim for some things immediately (see separate policies) but after the waiting periods you get what you choose to pay for. Have a look at www.medibank.com.au and google a few more.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks - I'll look into this. Can't wait to see what the waiting periods are!
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:21 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Normally about a year. Medical insurance is not the same here - on the good side they can't refuse to insure you because you have an existing condition, but it will be a year before you can claim for anything substantial - but you won't have to wait another year if you transfer insurer either.

You will need to get used to paying towards healthcare - not something I budgeted much for initially!

Scotty
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Normally about a year. Medical insurance is not the same here - on the good side they can't refuse to insure you because you have an existing condition, but it will be a year before you can claim for anything substantial - but you won't have to wait another year if you transfer insurer either.

You will need to get used to paying towards healthcare - not something I budgeted much for initially!

Scotty
Are you sure that's right? I will have to reset my policy and wait a year if I upgrade my policy WITHIN my own insurer (Medibank).........
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
Are you sure that's right? I will have to reset my policy and wait a year if I upgrade my policy WITHIN my own insurer (Medibank).........
That is because you are upgrading your policy (assume you mean you are on basic and want one with eg hospital/extras) not transfering like-to-like between companies.
If you were moving to another insurer they will cover to the same level without serving waiting periods again. But you can't move from a totally basic policy to a comprehensive one and expect to be exempt from waiting periods. Otherwise people would only ever take out basic cover and upgrade as they needed it.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:03 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
That is because you are upgrading your policy (assume you mean you are on basic and want one with eg hospital/extras) not transfering like-to-like between companies.
If you were moving to another insurer they will cover to the same level without serving waiting periods again. But you can't move from a totally basic policy to a comprehensive one and expect to be exempt from waiting periods. Otherwise people would only ever take out basic cover and upgrade as they needed it.
you should be able to transfer policies between companies and countries. as stated you will only be eligible for no waiting persionds for things you are already covered for.

i would suggest you contact the insurance companies and ask about policy. mine was very easy to move from bupa-int to MBF, possibly as its within the Bupa group.