Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Health Care on 457

Private Health Care on 457

Old May 21st 2012, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

MattandCaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private Health Care on 457

we have private health care with bupa, trying to find out if Medicare is sufficient to satisfy healthcare requirements on a 457?
Old May 21st 2012, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

litepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nice
Default Re: Private Health Care on 457

It depends if your home country has a reciprocal medical agreement with Australia or not. For example, the UK does so once inside Australia and registered for reciprocal Medicare, then there is no need for additional insurance to satisfy the requirements of the 457 visa. You do need to get some kind of insurance before you get the visa in the first place, though, as you can't register for Medicare from outside Australia.

That's my understanding, anyway.
Old May 21st 2012, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by litepurple
It depends if your home country has a reciprocal medical agreement with Australia or not. For example, the UK does so once inside Australia and registered for reciprocal Medicare, then there is no need for additional insurance to satisfy the requirements of the 457 visa. You do need to get some kind of insurance before you get the visa in the first place, though, as you can't register for Medicare from outside Australia.

Correct. Iv got to bump up my single insurance to cover the family so they can join me soon..
Old May 21st 2012, 9:40 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by litepurple

I would agree with that, a family member is awaiting her 457 visa and wondered why it was taking so long. On investigation her case officer was waiting for proof of private medical insurance before issuing the visa.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Yep as above. We just got a lowest cover from IMAN and that was enough. Then registered for Medicare when here.
Old May 21st 2012, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steen1976
Yep as above. We just got a lowest cover from IMAN and that was enough. Then registered for Medicare when here.
Did you cancel your private cover?
Old May 21st 2012, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

litepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I'd also be interested as I'm trying to decide whether to cancel my private healthcare with LAFHA ending and just using Medicare (along with other quick financial adjustments I need to make).
Old May 21st 2012, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Erm, I meant to and forgot. Ended up with a £500 bill on my visa card

It is now cancelled.

Only thing is I've now looked to get set up with private cover here and have a good scheme through work but cannot get it as on a 457

The equivalent cover for non PR is more than twice the price. Looking to go PR pretty soon though.
Old May 21st 2012, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated, LAFHA ending is going to hit us hard so looking to save $ wherever
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:22 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattandCaz
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated, LAFHA ending is going to hit us hard so looking to save $ wherever
Yep...aren't we all!! Austar gone, reduced mobile phones to basic packages, rationalised all heating, cut out 'fine dining' and grabbing economy cuts, no more 'boys nights out'.....even champagne in the Spa has had to go!!
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paddyo
Yep...aren't we all!! Austar gone, reduced mobile phones to basic packages, rationalised all heating, cut out 'fine dining' and grabbing economy cuts, no more 'boys nights out'.....even champagne in the Spa has had to go!!
I'm thinking about ditching foxtel too to be honest, mrs is home in the dark and cold as we speak! Defo no more fine dining and boys nights out! Might have too cut back on the footy too!
Old May 22nd 2012, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

My brother in law is this week sending his his 457 visa application. His company is an approved sponsor and has already received the position nomination approval. Should he apply for private health insurance now or take it out once the visa is approved?
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lynetteh
My brother in law is this week sending his his 457 visa application. His company is an approved sponsor and has already received the position nomination approval. Should he apply for private health insurance now or take it out once the visa is approved?
It will not get approved without private cover or Medicare inplace, and unless he's in Oz he can't get Medicare.

It is part of the Visa. No health cover, no Visa.
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:30 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattandCaz
I'm thinking about ditching foxtel too to be honest, mrs is home in the dark and cold as we speak! Defo no more fine dining and boys nights out! Might have too cut back on the footy too!
Now that is just abhorrent!!