Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private education standards vs UK

Private education standards vs UK

Old May 13th 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future
Default Private education standards vs UK

I've already mentioned this subject on another thread, but thought a specific thread would be more appropriate.

Private schools in Australia are considerably cheaper than those in the UK. OzSheila and ABCDiamond have pointed out that in Australia the government subsidises private schools whereas in the UK they do not and this explains the cost difference. OzSheila quoted £11k vs $5k as an example of the difference in school fees.

What I'd like opinions on, however, is the standard of education between private schools in the UK and Australia. OzSheila says the PISA (www.pisa.oecd.org) "study puts the standard of education much higher in Oz than the UK". Any comments. I've looked at the 2003 Executive Summary (http://www.pisa.oecd.org/dataoecd/1/63/34002454.pdf) and can't find the UK mentioned, but I'm in a hurry and don't have time to have a more detailed search.

In the UK, you can check the percentage of students at each school attaining 5 or more GCSE C grades or above very easily. Of course, private and grammar schools have results close to 100% in most cases. The non-grammar secondary schools in grammar LEAs have typical results of below 30%. Good Comprehensives have 65% or more, the less good ones have results below 50%. I'm not trying to be too precise here, but I don't think I'm a million miles out.

I guess my question is, do the decent private schools in Australia have results comparable to the grammars and private schools in the UK?

Also, how about the other great advantage that private education brings? Facilities and the tendency to teach subjects like foreign languages from a young age? Is this the case in Australia?
Old May 13th 2005, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private education standards vs UK

My son is in grade 2 (aged 6) and my daughter in preparatory (aged 4) and both are learning Japanese.

Both have 2 swimming lessons each week with the school (In addition to a private lesson - outside of school - each per week).

Both have Art, Phys Ed, Library, Religious Ed, science classes, - within the curriculum - separate to the usual 'class environment'.

My son has been to both state (when we first arrived) and private (now and ongoing). IMO, Private is far better but that is only within the area we live - i.e - small area, not much choice etc etc.

Costs us $10,000 a year for two children.

We would have never considered 'primary' aged private schooling for our two children, in the UK, the local 'state' school was more than adequate. Possibly for secondary, though.

Dread to think what it would have cost us in ole blighty.

Old May 13th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steandleigh
We would have never considered 'primary' aged private schooling for our two children, in the UK, the local 'state' school was more than adequate. Possibly for secondary, though.
Thanks for that. One question. Why wouldn't you have considered sending your primary aged kids to a private school in the UK - because the state school was fine or because of the expense?
Old May 13th 2005, 9:15 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Thanks for that. One question. Why wouldn't you have considered sending your primary aged kids to a private school in the UK - because the state school was fine or because of the expense?

We are also looking into private education for our kids in Oz. I noticed that Matthew Flinders College on the Sunshine Coast gives a comparison of results achieved to the state schools average. However, haven't noticed this on any other schools websites but maybe because I am looking at primary rather than secondary.
The link if your interested is http://mfac.edu.au/nextgen/Default.asp

Carolyn