Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Priorities when you arrive?

Priorities when you arrive?

Old Jun 18th 2003, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Priorities when you arrive?

There seems to be so many things to do when you arrive in oz, and my wife has to have a medical check up too. What have people done when they have arrived? I hope to open an account from here soon, so that 'should' be ok.

I know we need a tax number, and there is also the driving licence and medicare, and anything else that people here remind me of! (not to mention somewhere to live!)

So does anyone have a list, or ideas, or just general feedback on what to do once you leave the airport?

We are going to Sydney by the way!

thanks for any info.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

lenaro_w is an unknown quantity at this point

Sleep!
Old Jun 18th 2003, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lenaro_w
Sleep!
Sleep? you just changed countries, you want to sleep???

Even when we went on holiday day, we went straight out to look at teh bridge and teh opera house!
Old Jun 18th 2003, 10:09 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Growler

Even when we went on holiday day, we went straight out to look at teh bridge and teh opera house!

When my husband and I touch down in Oz it will be our second wedding anniversary, so our first priority is to celebrate with a bottle of local wine, and maybe a BBQ!

Mel
Old Jun 18th 2003, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

lenaro_w is an unknown quantity at this point

With a hyperactive 4 year old contained in a plane yes I will want to sleep unless someone can suggest a not so mild drug to calm him. As it was my idea to go my wife decided that he would be my sole responsibility while she looks after his 2 older sisters.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Priorities when you arrive?

Do a bit of research on everything that needs to be done. Write a list and when you get here just go through it day by day. Take each day as it comes and take your time. Most important thing to do first is Medicare card then you know you are covered if anything happens.
here's what we done - in the first week we sorted out our bank account (needed to 'unlock' our money so we could buy the car), bought a car (hiring was expensive and we knew exactly what car we wanted anyway), sorted out medicare card, looked for rental property (we already knew which area we wanted to be in and which school we wanted our kids to go to). by end of second week we moved into our rental, then had the time (and an address) to do the tax file number, look for furniture, sort out schools etc. Believe me those first few weeks go very quickly and everything seems so easy after going through all the waiting and form filling to get here!! driving license can wait as you have 3 months to do the computerised knowledge test, which is easy, so don't worry about that too much! Most of all, enjoy yourselves and take in everything!

by the way, we are near Sydney, fantastic place! When are you moving out here?

Mandy

There seems to be so many things to do when you arrive in oz, and my wife has to have a medical check up too. What have people done when they have arrived? I hope to open an account from here soon, so that 'should' be ok.

I know we need a tax number, and there is also the driving licence and medicare, and anything else that people here remind me of! (not to mention somewhere to live!)

So does anyone have a list, or ideas, or just general feedback on what to do once you leave the airport?

thanks for any info.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look at www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/arrival.php

Thats before you go not when you arrive.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 12:47 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by karawara88
Take a look at www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/arrival.php

Thats before you go not when you arrive.
Websites developing well Chris....still finding more and more info on it
Old Jun 18th 2003, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
Do a bit of research on everything that needs to be done. Write a list and when you get here just go through it day by day. Take each day as it comes and take your time. Most important thing to do first is Medicare card then you know you are covered if anything happens.
here's what we done - in the first week we sorted out our bank account (needed to 'unlock' our money so we could buy the car), bought a car (hiring was expensive and we knew exactly what car we wanted anyway), sorted out medicare card, looked for rental property (we already knew which area we wanted to be in and which school we wanted our kids to go to). by end of second week we moved into our rental, then had the time (and an address) to do the tax file number, look for furniture, sort out schools etc. Believe me those first few weeks go very quickly and everything seems so easy after going through all the waiting and form filling to get here!! driving license can wait as you have 3 months to do the computerised knowledge test, which is easy, so don't worry about that too much! Most of all, enjoy yourselves and take in everything!

Mandy
Hi Mandy,

Thanks for the update, that is really useful!

We have booked our flights to leave the UK on the 29th, and arrive on the 31st August in the evening, giving us a full working week to arrange everything.

Whereabouts are you? how did you decide on which school? Can't find anything about that anywhere!
Old Jun 18th 2003, 4:01 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mandy Bale

Mandy

Mandy: Did you have any problem insuring the car without having a NSW licence? And did you have to forfeit your UK licence when granted the Assie one, as it says in the website?

Rog
Old Jun 18th 2003, 4:40 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Mandy: Did you have any problem insuring the car without having a NSW licence? And did you have to forfeit your UK licence when granted the Assie one, as it says in the website?

Rog
I did the same as Mandy car first sort licence later - but I was on a temp 457 when we bought and did not have to get a NSW till Monday - Yes Mandy is right test is simple enough in NSW and great website for the RTA, and no there is no issue insuring the car on a british licence. Which website says you have to forfeit the UK licence - I would be well upset if that happened! How would I drive in the UK? They state on the NSW one the licence may be marked with a punch hole or such like - the theory behind this procedure is that you cannot show your UK licence and only get away with the fines and not the demerit points when commiting an offence. If we had of commited a minor traffic offence whilst driving on the UK one we would have been liable for the fine but not the demerit points. And they have such great holiday weekend bargains as double demerits! Great advertising - you too can lose your licence with one weekend speeding offence.

To be honest I did not fancy a hole punch in my new UK one (changed to mother in laws address as we left) so I used my old paper one for the test on Monday - passed 45/45! and no hole punch - mind you the thing was so torn and tattered anyway it would have been a waste of time marking it anyway!

Have fun
Old Jun 18th 2003, 4:50 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
I did the same as Mandy car first sort licence later - but I was on a temp 457 when we bought and did not have to get a NSW till Monday - Yes Mandy is right test is simple enough in NSW and great website for the RTA, and no there is no issue insuring the car on a british licence. Which website says you have to forfeit the UK licence - I would be well upset if that happened! How would I drive in the UK? They state on the NSW one the licence may be marked with a punch hole or such like - the theory behind this procedure is that you cannot show your UK licence and only get away with the fines and not the demerit points when commiting an offence. If we had of commited a minor traffic offence whilst driving on the UK one we would have been liable for the fine but not the demerit points. And they have such great holiday weekend bargains as double demerits! Great advertising - you too can lose your licence with one weekend speeding offence.

To be honest I did not fancy a hole punch in my new UK one (changed to mother in laws address as we left) so I used my old paper one for the test on Monday - passed 45/45! and no hole punch - mind you the thing was so torn and tattered anyway it would have been a waste of time marking it anyway!

Have fun

OK! ISTR that the NSW RTA site said something about having to forfeit your foreign licence on the grant of the NSW one. Well done on the score - gives me hope! I got wound up about getting the Florida test 10 years ago but it had to be simple, looking at those with furrowed brows being tested alongsiide me!
Rog
Old Jun 18th 2003, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Rog
I think you will find you only forfeit your license when you have an Australian licence and move to a different state in Australia as all states issue their own licences.

And when you move State you have to get a licence from the state you moved too within 3 months, and then you would lose your licence from the state you moved from.

Far as I can see just an income generateing scam as their is no test or anything just paperwork and cash required.

I believe your foreign licence is save no matter what.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 12:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for any info.
If you have kids apply for Family Tax Benefit A & B and Rent allowance.

It is paid fortnightly & It is very generous and, unlike unemployment benefit, available from when you arrive.

Don't forget to let them know when you start working so they can adjust the figure, or they'll want it back.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

No problems getting insurance with UK lisence, in fact we even used our motel as our address for the quote and they weren't worried about that either. Didn't have to give up my uk lisence when I got the NSW one either, they just stamped the back (I have one of those huge folded paper european lisences!). Test is easy, I got 100%. If you have a motorbike lisence then you have to take another knowledge test but its more or less the same, just a few different bike orientated questions.

As for schools, we came here on a fact finding holiday back in 2001 and saw the suburb we wanted to live in and checked out the schools then. Amazing what you can find out just by talking to people! then when we got here we visited our first choice of school and showed the kids around and met the principal and the kids haven't looked back since. We made sure we could get a house near that school first though or we wouldn't have got in as its very popular.

their school has a website www.jpps.net

Mandy

Rog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.