Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

primary teaching opportunities with a one year working holiday visa?

primary teaching opportunities with a one year working holiday visa?

Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

kat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default primary teaching opportunities with a one year working holiday visa?

hi,

totally new to this and hope someone will be able to help?! i posted this in teaching thread but dont know if anyone reads these?

I have a 4year BEd (Hons) degree in Primary Education. I have six years full time teaching experience and having visited australia for 5 weeks during the summer i would love to consider a permanent move. I have looked at the various visa routes and feel that its alot of time and money to apply for PR if I may get out there and miss my family and friends too much and want to come home. As I am 26 and eligible to apply for a working holiday visa (only $230!)I am now looking to take a year career break from my permanent teaching position and move to australia in july 2010 for one year and see how i like it! I would love to teach in primary schools in Sydney and having looked at NSW education website it looks possible to do supply teaching with the one year holiday working visa. i know i will have to register with the teaching council for NSW,

does anyone have any experience of supply teaching with this visa? or of the current supply teaching opportunities in Sydney and surrounding areas? or could recommend areas where supply teachers are in high demand?

i would really appreciate any help with this as im excited and apprehensive and it would help me so much to hear back from anyone?!

thanks, kat
Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:52 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: primary teaching opportunities with a one year working holiday visa?

Originally Posted by kat83
hi,

totally new to this and hope someone will be able to help?! i posted this in teaching thread but dont know if anyone reads these?

I have a 4year BEd (Hons) degree in Primary Education. I have six years full time teaching experience and having visited australia for 5 weeks during the summer i would love to consider a permanent move. I have looked at the various visa routes and feel that its alot of time and money to apply for PR if I may get out there and miss my family and friends too much and want to come home. As I am 26 and eligible to apply for a working holiday visa (only $230!)I am now looking to take a year career break from my permanent teaching position and move to australia in july 2010 for one year and see how i like it! I would love to teach in primary schools in Sydney and having looked at NSW education website it looks possible to do supply teaching with the one year holiday working visa. i know i will have to register with the teaching council for NSW,

does anyone have any experience of supply teaching with this visa? or of the current supply teaching opportunities in Sydney and surrounding areas? or could recommend areas where supply teachers are in high demand?

i would really appreciate any help with this as im excited and apprehensive and it would help me so much to hear back from anyone?!

thanks, kat
Hey!

I'm out in WA, and also a primary teacher. Two of my friends (serperately) did this, both taught in NSW, SA and WA, but they had trouble getting registared in Victoria. They both said they have lots of opportunity for work, but a lot of it was in nurseries. Both of them ended up taking little part time jobs - such as tour guides etc, and would do a few days supply if they found their money was getting a bit too low!

Hope this helps!

Kareena
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

kat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: primary teaching opportunities with a one year working holiday visa?

thank you so much.i have been so busy researching areas to live and flights, etc. are you teaching on a one year working visa? do you know what the six month rule is? can i work in nsw for six months then move to a different region to teach for another six months or can i only teach for six months in total?

hope you know the answer to this question as im baffled lol x