Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

primary supply teaching in goldcoast??

primary supply teaching in goldcoast??

Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice
Default primary supply teaching in goldcoast??

Hi. i'm moving to the goldcoast at the end of september and am a primary school teacher. I'm not really interested in a permanent job as day to day supply or short term contracts would be great for me. I've done lots of this before and it would help me suss out the best schools in the area.

Does anyone know the process i need to go through to be able to do supply in state or private schools. Is there a lot of work for supply teachers once you get your name known and are there any agencies on the goldcoast who could help me find work?

Is it right that you have to do some kind of conversion course and if so do you know how to get on it and where it takes place? is the nearest Brisbane if i live in the goldcoast?

lots of questions i know, but any help or advice from someone who's already gone through this would be great.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: primary supply teaching in goldcoast??

Originally Posted by lisas
Hi. i'm moving to the goldcoast at the end of september and am a primary school teacher. I'm not really interested in a permanent job as day to day supply or short term contracts would be great for me. I've done lots of this before and it would help me suss out the best schools in the area.

Does anyone know the process i need to go through to be able to do supply in state or private schools. Is there a lot of work for supply teachers once you get your name known and are there any agencies on the goldcoast who could help me find work?

Is it right that you have to do some kind of conversion course and if so do you know how to get on it and where it takes place? is the nearest Brisbane if i live in the goldcoast?

lots of questions i know, but any help or advice from someone who's already gone through this would be great.
Could also post this on Teacher section on jobs abroad. Sorry can't help with details on where you're moving but you need to look at relevant State Education site for details for what they require as UK qualified does not mean you can go and teach in Aussie schools, you'd most likely have to do a short course to qualify you for this!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Lisas,

You need to apply to the board of teacher registration for QLD, they are kind of the equivelant to qts in the UK. Providing you have done at least 3 year degree and 1 year PGCE, or (better I think) 4 year Bed, you should be ok. I think they have 'lowered' their standards on accepting Uk qualified teachers. Then you need to get registered with the department of education for QLD. The difference in AUS is that you are employed by the state not the school. So once you have applied, your ready to teach. I would get this going now, from the uk. All the forms you need are downlodable etc. Once you have done 100 days (I think you will need to check this out) you can apply to get your rating done, this basically is a scale from 1-4, 1=best 4=worst. Although if I remember correctly you don't need this for day to day supply.

As for work, this is where is might get a bit tricky. As I said earlier your employed by the state not the school. So if you do some day to day contracts then a school might ask you to do a term etc, or the department will give you a call and say there is an opening for a term. If your lucky (you get a contract in a school you like, and they like you) the school might be able to secure you for the following year, if there is a vacancy. But like I said everyone is employed by the department, so there are people on transfer lists etc. Once you're in a school on longer contracts the school (depending on their numbers) might get a vacancy for a permenant teacher, and if your lucky they might give it to you.

That may sound all a bit negative, but its best to know how the system works so you can make it work to your advantage. There are jobs out there, but you do lose the ability to pick and choose (because the schools don't employ individual teachers).

Ok more info... the Gold coast is one of the most highly sought after areas in QLD, = lots of teachers in other districts who have built up points wanting to transfer there. So the actual GC district might be hard to break into. There are other areas just north in Logan Albert Beaudesert, which are less desirable for teachers = more vacancies. It is in driving distance if you are going to live on the GC. You might also want to register for middle school teaching, they are accepting primary trained teachers for these roles, and they are popular with primary teachers, because at the end of the day there isn't that many jobs in primary. So that might be another option for you.

As for registering for day to day supply, I think the GC also use the same system as other districts (and I can't for the life of me remember the name) but its a central database, schools call them, they give you a call. Some schools however do call their own 'favourites' first, or have the ability to put their favourite teachers on a perfered list. (some districts have stopped schools calling their own teachers for supply).

Pay is good for day to day and short term contracts. If you manage to get a contract leading into a holiday, and one on the other side, you will get holiday pay. Otherwise no holiday pay. And you won't get xmas paid, unless you are permenant (there are exceptions, but plan on not getting it as its almost impossible).

I hope this helps, if you need any more advice, let me know.

Amanda
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:16 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, check out the forum on the TES website (that teachers union thinkgy here in the UK).

My girlfirend is a primary teacher, we are moving back to Aust in August and she has found lots of info on there from UK teachers who ahve worked abroad in the past few years and what they had to do to get recognised, find jobs etc.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amandabee
Lisas,

You need to apply to the board of teacher registration for QLD, they are kind of the equivelant to qts in the UK. Providing you have done at least 3 year degree and 1 year PGCE, or (better I think) 4 year Bed, you should be ok. I think they have 'lowered' their standards on accepting Uk qualified teachers. Then you need to get registered with the department of education for QLD. The difference in AUS is that you are employed by the state not the school. So once you have applied, your ready to teach. I would get this going now, from the uk. All the forms you need are downlodable etc. Once you have done 100 days (I think you will need to check this out) you can apply to get your rating done, this basically is a scale from 1-4, 1=best 4=worst. Although if I remember correctly you don't need this for day to day supply.

As for work, this is where is might get a bit tricky. As I said earlier your employed by the state not the school. So if you do some day to day contracts then a school might ask you to do a term etc, or the department will give you a call and say there is an opening for a term. If your lucky (you get a contract in a school you like, and they like you) the school might be able to secure you for the following year, if there is a vacancy. But like I said everyone is employed by the department, so there are people on transfer lists etc. Once you're in a school on longer contracts the school (depending on their numbers) might get a vacancy for a permenant teacher, and if your lucky they might give it to you.

That may sound all a bit negative, but its best to know how the system works so you can make it work to your advantage. There are jobs out there, but you do lose the ability to pick and choose (because the schools don't employ individual teachers).

Ok more info... the Gold coast is one of the most highly sought after areas in QLD, = lots of teachers in other districts who have built up points wanting to transfer there. So the actual GC district might be hard to break into. There are other areas just north in Logan Albert Beaudesert, which are less desirable for teachers = more vacancies. It is in driving distance if you are going to live on the GC. You might also want to register for middle school teaching, they are accepting primary trained teachers for these roles, and they are popular with primary teachers, because at the end of the day there isn't that many jobs in primary. So that might be another option for you.

As for registering for day to day supply, I think the GC also use the same system as other districts (and I can't for the life of me remember the name) but its a central database, schools call them, they give you a call. Some schools however do call their own 'favourites' first, or have the ability to put their favourite teachers on a perfered list. (some districts have stopped schools calling their own teachers for supply).

Pay is good for day to day and short term contracts. If you manage to get a contract leading into a holiday, and one on the other side, you will get holiday pay. Otherwise no holiday pay. And you won't get xmas paid, unless you are permenant (there are exceptions, but plan on not getting it as its almost impossible).

I hope this helps, if you need any more advice, let me know.

Amanda
Thanks for all your advice, you've given me great info on where to start with sortin out work. I feel i've so much to do and sort and so little time to do it in, so all the info is a big help.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
Also, check out the forum on the TES website (that teachers union thinkgy here in the UK).

My girlfirend is a primary teacher, we are moving back to Aust in August and she has found lots of info on there from UK teachers who ahve worked abroad in the past few years and what they had to do to get recognised, find jobs etc.
tes website brill thanks. just registered and lots of info in there if you do a search for the info you want
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

You really need to get your state registration application in as soon as possible as it takes up to 6 weeks to get it through and you can't work without it.

You need pretty much the same documentation as you would have used for your teach australia assessment.