Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary Schools in Sydney

Primary Schools in Sydney

Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

KelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the rough
Default Primary Schools in Sydney

Hi All

Not sure if I should have started a new thread or carried on in the Sydney suburbs thread.

I have been trying to find anything that would indicate to me how good the schools are in the suburbs of Sydney, like School ratings ect. I know that Sydney has got a reputation for having good schools, I did read something on the web about NSW not classing schools as not to high light the under achievers. I also read that some schools had drug problems and have installed video cameras. Omg Omg But there are so many schools where do you start with out going on each individual web site and reading up. Its not that I can not be bothered, with out being to fusy and O TT how do you know weather or not you are choosing a good school.

Any advise is much appreciate

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:14 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary Schools in Sydney

Originally Posted by KelnIan
Hi All

Not sure if I should have started a new thread or carried on in the Sydney suburbs thread.

I have been trying to find anything that would indicate to me how good the schools are in the suburbs of Sydney, like School ratings ect. I know that Sydney has got a reputation for having good schools, I did read something on the web about NSW not classing schools as not to high light the under achievers. I also read that some schools had drug problems and have installed video cameras. Omg Omg But there are so many schools where do you start with out going on each individual web site and reading up. Its not that I can not be bothered, with out being to fusy and O TT how do you know weather or not you are choosing a good school.

Any advise is much appreciate

Thanks
Hello!

There's a lot to sort out isn't there and we always want the best for our children! There isn't really anything more than you can do apart from research various websites before you get here but it helps to have an idea of what area you are likely to settle in and limit your research that way. Personal recommendation is always a good start but you do need to actually go the schools themselves and chat with the staff to get a real flavour of what a school is like.

If you can specify your search area and indicate what ages your children are (i.e whether you want help with early education or high schools etc) then maybe someone can come up with something a little more helpful than my waffle!

I could recommend a lovely primary school near me (where my three treasures are now!) but I don't know if that would help!

Binbird
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

The 'better' schools tend to be the 'better' residential areas. As a rule the more the houses cost - the better the schools are. However one exception is Bondi Beach, where the houses are expensive but the state school only has a so-so reputation (because of the large numbers of renters in the area).

As long as you avoid ultra-cheap suburbs and suburbs where there are a lot of non-English speaking people you should be fine. The chances are you won't be living in those suburbs anyway.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
The 'better' schools tend to be the 'better' residential areas. As a rule the more the houses cost - the better the schools are. However one exception is Bondi Beach, where the houses are expensive but the state school only has a so-so reputation (because of the large numbers of renters in the area).

As long as you avoid ultra-cheap suburbs and suburbs where there are a lot of non-English speaking people you should be fine. The chances are you won't be living in those suburbs anyway.
Hi KelnIan

It's not always a socio-economic thing for schools. There are many schools with a majority of ESL students who have better results than schools in "good" areas. Particularly in areas with a high proportion of Chinese / southern Asian people the results are very good, just becuase of the ethos of the families. As a general rule though - decent area (ie expensive) decent school. It's sad that this is the way things are but that is the way it is.

I think you probably need to have some ideas in mind as to where you would like to live and when you arrive go and drive around them, get a feel for them, visit the school and see what you feel. Usually our instincts lead us in the right direction in these things.

I can also recommend the school where my babies go .

Rudi