Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary Schools in the Hills District, Sydney

Primary Schools in the Hills District, Sydney

Old Sep 30th 2008, 5:54 am
Just Joined

vsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nice
Default Primary Schools in the Hills District, Sydney

Hi there,

My husband and I moved from UK to Sydney in 2001 and then moved back to the UK in 2005 with a 1 year old son so that he could grow up around family.

After living back in the UK for 4 years, we have decided to move back out to Sydney because I feel it is a better place to bring up my son. He will be starting Kindy in Jan 2009 and we will be moving to either Baulkham Hills or Castle Hill. I was thinking of putting him in the Hills Private Grammar School but I have heard that the Primary Schools in the Hills District are just as good.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so, could someone give me some advice as to which of the Primary Schools in Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill are best so that we can make sure that we rent in the catchment for the school.

Thanks in advance.

Vanita
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary Schools in the Hills District, Sydney

You would be very unfortunate to find a bad school in the Hills - in fact I would be very surprised if you did. Don't waste your money on private schools. There are many schools in Baulkham Hills/ Castle Hill / Winston Hills. All depends where you want to live. The only ones I know personally are Winston Hills, my sons went there many moons ago and Matthew Pearce. Excellent school. I'm sure you'll find one to suit you.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 9:13 am
Just Joined

vsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nicevsuman is just really nice

Thanks Gibbo - that's a relief to hear. I have heard that Beaumont Hills Primary School in Kellyville is also very good with very good facilities as it is a relatively new school.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, most of the schools out that way are very new. It's not that long ago that it was all green fields, but now all you can see is roof tops -horrible! Not against change but all changes are not for the better! As I said, decide where you want to live first and the school will follow.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

There are loads of people on here with primary age kids who live in the Hills district and who would be able to give you some up to date info. Try putting something in the "Castle Hill RSL" thread in the meet ups section, or start this thread again in the general Australia forum; I rarely see anyone I know posting in the barbie.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
There are loads of people on here with primary age kids who live in the Hills district and who would be able to give you some up to date info. Try putting something in the "Castle Hill RSL" thread in the meet ups section, or start this thread again in the general Australia forum; I rarely see anyone I know posting in the barbie.
Are you suggesting that my info is not uptodate? Ask Sally, next Tuesday, if it is any good or not!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Are you suggesting that my info is not uptodate? Ask Sally, next Tuesday, if it is any good or not!
It was the "many moons ago" comment that did it - thought you might be as old as I am! Mind you I'm still WAY off leaving the primary school thing behind - serves me right for not sending OH for the snip earlier
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Chwaer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Primary Schools in the Hills District, Sydney

I am possible moving to sydney with 2 primary school age children before the end of the year. Can you tell me how long it would take to get from the Hills District into the CBD of Sydney itself? Is this a regular commute? I am aware that finding the right area as far as property, schools and commute can be a chicken and egg situation. Find a good house (at a reasonable price) and then look at schools or find good schools and then look for a house........
Any advice or insight into how you guys tackled the situation would be much appreciated.
Thanks
C
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chwaer
I am possible moving to sydney with 2 primary school age children before the end of the year. Can you tell me how long it would take to get from the Hills District into the CBD of Sydney itself? Is this a regular commute? I am aware that finding the right area as far as property, schools and commute can be a chicken and egg situation. Find a good house (at a reasonable price) and then look at schools or find good schools and then look for a house........
Any advice or insight into how you guys tackled the situation would be much appreciated.
Thanks
C
I would say to find where you want to live first - everyone has to be happy , not just the child/children at school! You chose a nice area there will be good schools there.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks
C
Hi Chwaer,

The reason why we decided on the Hills District is because we lived there from 2001 to 2005 and found it to be a very family-oriented area with good schools and a lovely atmosphere. I used to commute into the City by train and it used to take me 1 hour door to door. The houses in the Hills District are also very nice and are sometimes more affordable than other parts of Sydney.

Vanita
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
It was the "many moons ago" comment that did it - thought you might be as old as I am! Mind you I'm still WAY off leaving the primary school thing behind - serves me right for not sending OH for the snip earlier
Recon I'm very much older than you, but I am still involved with education and I think I'm a very uptodate person! I think my grandchildren would agree - or maybe it's because I let them away with more than their parents do - they're all teenagers!!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:02 am
Just Joined

jobell2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
C

I live in castle hill and it takes my husband an hour by bus to get to the city. If you live in baulkham hills it would be quicker.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:03 pm
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Can you tell me how long it would take to get from the Hills District into the CBD of Sydney itself? Is this a regular commute?

The Hills District is not currently on a train line (and a previous poster says 1hr by bus to CBD). I think maybe a Hills train line is planned, but I don't know when - perhaps a Hills person can verify?

Depending on your views on, and others' answer to, the above, you may wish to look on-line at some maps and focus your search on suburbs along the train lines. That's what we did, and we're very happy, thanks!