Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary School Years

Primary School Years

Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Littleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really nice
Default Primary School Years

No doubt this has been asked on many occasions but can someone please help.

My daughter (6) is about to start a P2/3 class in sept 08. What would the equivalent class in WA be starting in Feb 09?

Thank you

Kevin
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:05 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary School Years

Originally Posted by Littleuns
No doubt this has been asked on many occasions but can someone please help.

My daughter (6) is about to start a P2/3 class in sept 08. What would the equivalent class in WA be starting in Feb 09?

Thank you

Kevin
If she turned 6 before June 30th of this year then she will go into Year 2 next year. If she has only turned 6 this past week and a bit then she will enter year 1.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
If she turned 6 before June 30th of this year then she will go into Year 2 next year. If she has only turned 6 this past week and a bit then she will enter year 1.
That's true in the state system, some private and Catholic school's will make some concessions. My son turns 7 this month and is in Year 2 in Perth. He would have had to repeat Year 1 (which he did in Brisbane last year) if we'd put into a state school.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi, we're going over in may 09. I have 2 boys, one will be 11 (feb) the other 8 (9 in June) they are in years 3 and 5 at the moment so will they in theory go back a year?

I'm trying to get my head round it all! Also at the moment they are at 2 different schools as we live in Suffolk and have a 3 tier school system i.e primary, middle and upper. I have one at primary and one at middle. will they both go to the same school in Oz?

thanks for any info

Becky
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:30 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
That's true in the state system, some private and Catholic school's will make some concessions. My son turns 7 this month and is in Year 2 in Perth. He would have had to repeat Year 1 (which he did in Brisbane last year) if we'd put into a state school.
Personally I would rather have my child in an age appropriate year. My youngest is very bright and I would still rather have her in the same year as her peers rather than with kids a year older.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Personally I would rather have my child in an age appropriate year. My youngest is very bright and I would still rather have her in the same year as her peers rather than with kids a year older.
Yes, but if they've already done Year 1 and have to sit through the whole thing again, it can be pretty boring. My eldest child we decided to have her repeat Year 4 because the kids in Year 5 were all turning 10 and 11 and she was only turning 9, so decided that the age difference was too much. You need to look at every kid individually, and what's you feel might be right for your child, isn't necessarily what I feel's right for mine. I was merely adding some extra advice on what year a 6 year old would be in.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Hi, we're going over in may 09. I have 2 boys, one will be 11 (feb) the other 8 (9 in June) they are in years 3 and 5 at the moment so will they in theory go back a year?

I'm trying to get my head round it all! Also at the moment they are at 2 different schools as we live in Suffolk and have a 3 tier school system i.e primary, middle and upper. I have one at primary and one at middle. will they both go to the same school in Oz?

thanks for any info

Becky
Hi Becky, they will be in Year 6 (11 year old) and Year 4 (as he turns 9 before 30 June). Just depends of the school they go to as to whether they'll be in the same school. Most state Primary schools go up to Year 7 and then start Secondary from Year 8-12. Catholic Education is changing next year and Primary school will only go to Year 6.

Kim
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kim67
Hi Becky, they will be in Year 6 (11 year old) and Year 4 (as he turns 9 before 30 June). Just depends of the school they go to as to whether they'll be in the same school. Most state Primary schools go up to Year 7 and then start Secondary from Year 8-12. Catholic Education is changing next year and Primary school will only go to Year 6.

Kim
So they'll actually be in the SAME school year as they would be in the UK?

They are in years 3 & 5 at the mo. Due to go into year 4 and 6 respectively in Sept. I thought they'd go back a year?

How confusing!

Thanks for your info!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Stumpy/Littleuns

Please find a link below that should make it a little clearer:

http://www.connollyps.det.wa.edu.au/...of%20Child.pdf

The dates are for 2008 so just add a year for 2009 if necessary! Ours are starting in February; our 9 year old (b:15 Sep 99) is in Year 4 and our 5 year old (b:9 Oct 03) in Pre-Primary. This equates to their current school but our 9 year old will end up repeating the first 4 months of Y4.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Craig822; Jul 8th 2008 at 4:42 pm. Reason: dobs
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

Originally Posted by Craig822
Stumpy/Littleuns

Please find a link below that should make it a little clearer:

http://www.connollyps.det.wa.edu.au/...of%20Child.pdf

The dates are for 2008 so just add a year for 2009 if necessary! Ours are starting in February; our 9 year old (b:15 Sep 99) is in Year 4 and our 5 year old (b:9 Oct 03) in Pre-Primary. This equates to their current school but our 9 year old will end up repeating the first 4 months of Y4.

Hope this helps
sorry to be a bit dimmy children are 7(13 july 2000) and 5 (1Aug 2002)so that means when we go over in Sep one will be year 2 and the other pre primary so they will both be back a year sorry having a couple of thoses off daysKate
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that, yes that just confirms that they will indeed be in the same school year as they are in fact attending in the uk.

Thanks again
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimandkate
sorry to be a bit dimmy children are 7(13 july 2000) and 5 (1Aug 2002)so that means when we go over in Sep one will be year 2 and the other pre primary so they will both be back a year sorry having a couple of thoses off daysKate
You're confusing me now!

Surely your child who's 7 is in year 3 now? the same as mine. My sons birthday is 13th June 2000, just turned 8 and he's in yr3 would be going into yr 4 in Sept.

From what i'm reading they will stay in the same school years?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, just re-read your post, your child IS in year 3 now! you were saying he/she would go back a year! I'm having a blonde moment!!!! In fact i'm having several of them at the moment!!!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Sorry, just re-read your post, your child IS in year 3 now! you were saying he/she would go back a year! I'm having a blonde moment!!!! In fact i'm having several of them at the moment!!!
Hi I think the way that I am reading it because your little one is in June you are fine but as my little boy is 13 july he misses so he will have to do a year over well I think oh my goodness I just cant think right too much going on in my head Kate
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

brisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nice

Am I right in thinking the school years are different in Scotland to England anyway
Originally Posted by jimandkate
Hi I think the way that I am reading it because your little one is in June you are fine but as my little boy is 13 july he misses so he will have to do a year over well I think oh my goodness I just cant think right too much going on in my head Kate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.