Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

primary school teaching - conditions & pay??

primary school teaching - conditions & pay??

Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

confused R us is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy primary school teaching - conditions & pay??

Hi all,
We're a VERY early 40 something couple with a 15yr old & 8yr old. We're tired of the slog and pace of life in U.K. SERIOUSLY thinking about life "Down Under" but need some truthful advice and information. We've been told we can migrate to Victoria or South Australia but need to know what it's like. I'm an Advanced Skills Teacher for K.S.2 and my wife is an Oral Health Promotion Officer. Can anyone give us the low down on pay & conditions (or anything, really) for these types of jobs in Oz. Don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire!!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: primary school teaching - conditions & pay??

Originally Posted by confused R us
Hi all,
We're a VERY early 40 something couple with a 15yr old & 8yr old. We're tired of the slog and pace of life in U.K. SERIOUSLY thinking about life "Down Under" but need some truthful advice and information. We've been told we can migrate to Victoria or South Australia but need to know what it's like. I'm an Advanced Skills Teacher for K.S.2 and my wife is an Oral Health Promotion Officer. Can anyone give us the low down on pay & conditions (or anything, really) for these types of jobs in Oz. Don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire!!
Try checking out the teaching job board as people should be able to help you there. Also the following website should help http://www.teaching.vic.gov.au/
Also registration is dealt with by these people and they may be able to give you more info http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1
I am in the process of training to teach here. I have a degree in English but didn't get the chance to finish my PGCE due to moving overseas so am doing my Dip Ed here. Generally you are expected to have 2 subjects here but that is less important at primary level. I am in a rural area where teachers are in demand but have heard of lots of people finding work OK in Melbourne it just depends what you want. Where we are the life is certainly more laid back and the schools are excellent (we do still have problems but they are in a different league to the UK schools that I was involved in).
Go for it and if you are interested in looking a bit further afield than Melbourne and want info on NE Victoria then just give me a shout.
Nicky
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Bubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura about

Hi all,
Hi

i am working in Brisbane and all states are a bit different but they have finally assessed all my teaching history and i have gone from Threshold 2 to top of the scale here, next step is a senior teacher and i expect i will have to jump hoops here to get that. They now pay me about $60,000 per annum, less than uk but overall costs i feel i less.

Hope this helps
Tracy
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:29 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Can't help much with those jobs but what I will say is don't get suckered into the belief that Oz is cheaper than the UK because there isn't much to choose between them.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help, still confused lots to think about.
Ian & Andrea
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for email, so much to think about, lots of people telling us cost of living expensive in Australia, teachers not well paid. Think We need to open another bottle of wine, still confused.
Andrea
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for email, so much to think about, lots of people telling us cost of living expensive in Australia, teachers not well paid. Think We need to open another bottle of wine, still confused.
Andrea
Go to forum jump at the bottom of page there is a teaching forum, should really help. Agree with dont get into the aus is cheap trip, its not, much is same or more expensive.

One thing to be aware of with teaching in OZ is some states require you to do a few years rural/remote service before getting enough browine points to work in choice (city/beach destinations).
Old Dec 21st 2006, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Go here and look under education:

http://mycareer.com.au/salary-survey/?s_cid=216001
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Andrea
Teachers aren't really fantastically paid here but then they aren't in the UK either. Where we are in Victoria you don't have to do rural placements and apply for jobs as they come up in the same way as you would in the UK. Overall where we are finances are pretty similar to the UK only at the end of the day we will have a much nicer house and living environment. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Nicky
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

There's a site specifically for people in or heading for VIC http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?

I know some teachers that post on the site regularly so you may get some useful advice from there.

Caroline