Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary School Teachers in England - Query

Wikiposts

Primary School Teachers in England - Query

Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Primary School Teachers in England - Query

Completely off topic of Australia, but do any of you know the recommended hours of homework for year 5 please.

My youngest has the teacher from hell who is setting the most ridiculous homework both in terms of content and time taken. Before I complain about this and the fact that the woman is even breathing near children I want to know the facts please.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Primary School Teachers in England - Query

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Completely off topic of Australia, but do any of you know the recommended hours of homework for year 5 please.

My youngest has the teacher from hell who is setting the most ridiculous homework both in terms of content and time taken. Before I complain about this and the fact that the woman is even breathing near children I want to know the facts please.

If i remember rightly it is two hours per week - this includes reading. you could check on DFES or the QCA web sites.
jax (KS2 teacher)
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaxowen
If i remember rightly it is two hours per week - this includes reading. you could check on DFES or the QCA web sites.
jax (KS2 teacher)
Thank you. Will check their sites.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:49 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Hiya Moneypen20

Not in England but am in Wales. I really don't think there is a set time but then I have worked in this school for past 6 years and prior to that I was on supply. Our school operates a 'no more than half an hour' 2-3 times a week policy and then this is only for Years 5 and 6. In Years 3 and 4 they have a reading book every night if they want it and then a small amount of maths or language once a week. We believe that children should have time to be children and since they have spent most of their waking hours at school, cut them some slack in the evenings. Also we know that due to the area we are in that most homework will never be completed. If I'm totally honest I stopped sending homework out weeks ago because I never got any back. I do however, to cover my own back, say ask your parents if they can help you find out about.... as this is also classed as homework. I write it in my planning as 'Homework - children to research..., children to draw...'
I know that this is probably of no help at all, if you feel that your youngest is getting an unreasonable amount of homework, you must complain. Good luck.
Sarah
Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Not a clue,but I'll ask our Y5 teacher on Monday for you.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by teach
Hiya Moneypen20

Not in England but am in Wales. I really don't think there is a set time but then I have worked in this school for past 6 years and prior to that I was on supply. Our school operates a 'no more than half an hour' 2-3 times a week policy and then this is only for Years 5 and 6. In Years 3 and 4 they have a reading book every night if they want it and then a small amount of maths or language once a week. We believe that children should have time to be children and since they have spent most of their waking hours at school, cut them some slack in the evenings. Also we know that due to the area we are in that most homework will never be completed. If I'm totally honest I stopped sending homework out weeks ago because I never got any back. I do however, to cover my own back, say ask your parents if they can help you find out about.... as this is also classed as homework. I write it in my planning as 'Homework - children to research..., children to draw...'
I know that this is probably of no help at all, if you feel that your youngest is getting an unreasonable amount of homework, you must complain. Good luck.
Sarah
Thanks Sarah

Wish Abs had you. The woman is the most unpleasant, miserable cow I have ever met. Has never smiled at the children or said "well done" for anything. Have already had an hour's meeting with the head about her, have got another one planned to see how things have changed - got worse. Have now got another long list of complaints to go over with her.

If a child you were teaching, got 11 out of 12 for her spellings, including quadrilateral and others like it, would you say - You should have spent longer learning them I swear, the last day of term, when we have our flights booked I am going to slap the cow.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

Found this for you on teachernet:-

'Recommended time for homework

Every school will consider how much time is appropriate for pupils at each stage, according to their aptitude. The Government's recommended time allocation, based on current good practice, is set out in Homework: Guidelines for Primary Schools and Secondary Schools, as follows;

Years 1 and 2
1 hour per week
Reading, spelling, other literacy work and number work

Years 3 and 4
1.5 hours per week
Literacy and numeracy as for years 1 and 2, with occasional assignments in other subjects

Years 5 and 6
30 minutes per day
Regular weekly schedule with continued emphasis on literacy and numeracy, but also ranging widely over the curriculum

The daily reading recommended by the government for all primary children can be done as part of the homework. '

Hope this helps. You really need to ask the Head for a copy of their homework policy, which will set out timings and amounts at the school. If this doesn't work, remember that completion of homework is not statutory and children are not allowed to be penalised for non-completion.

Rachel (an ex-Head)
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:38 am
Just Joined

manlymonkeys is an unknown quantity at this point

Each school should have a homework policy which you are allowed to read. This should state the guidelines for homework in each year group.

I used to teach Year 5 and gave Maths and English homework weekly and then another subject on top of that. Each task would take under half an hour.

Nicola
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by manlymonkeys
Each school should have a homework policy which you are allowed to read. This should state the guidelines for homework in each year group.

I used to teach Year 5 and gave Maths and English homework weekly and then another subject on top of that. Each task would take under half an hour.

Nicola
Spellings last week included trapezium, quadrilateral. Spellings this week include aren't and shalln't
One maths worksheet - fine
12 spellings - fine
Filling in reading record - fine
Creating a word search using co-ordinates - ok took longer than 1/2 hour though
Build a Trireme (ancient greek boat) using card and straws - Absolutely no way anyone under the age of 18 could do it. Every child's father has done it (those that care anyway, pity the poor sods whose parents won't or can't (spelling list again). Took hubby who is very handy about two hours.

Would have written a note saying pointless exercise, parents don't need to know how to build an ancient boat, but the b**ch would have given Abs detention.