Reload this Page >

Primary school teacher

Primary school teacher

Old Feb 15th 2023, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Welshieabroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary school teacher

Hi all,
we had originally planned a move to Canada but thanks to COVID and the points taking forever to come down, we have realised that that isn't a likely possibility any more
Australia is second choice, so we are on the information gathering route once again.

I am a primary school teacher in Wales. My degree and masters degree is primary education (3-11years) and all my teaching is 3-7 year olds.
if I understand correctly, if I could pass as an early years teacher (I am classed as one here as over 10 years experience with 3-7year olds), I could apply for a 189 visa and be pretty much guaranteed entry. As my degree is primary and not early years, I'm looking at needing a 190 visa. This seems to tip me into a more unsure position as it is luck of the draw? It's a lot of money to pay for a skills assessment if we end up not able to make the move. Has anyone any advice? I can't seem to find the data for how many people apply for the 190 visa as a primary teacher and how many get accepted?

Thanks for any help
Old Feb 16th 2023, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary school teacher

Originally Posted by Welshieabroad
Hi all,
we had originally planned a move to Canada but thanks to COVID and the points taking forever to come down, we have realised that that isn't a likely possibility any more
Australia is second choice, so we are on the information gathering route once again.

I am a primary school teacher in Wales. My degree and masters degree is primary education (3-11years) and all my teaching is 3-7 year olds.
if I understand correctly, if I could pass as an early years teacher (I am classed as one here as over 10 years experience with 3-7year olds), I could apply for a 189 visa and be pretty much guaranteed entry. As my degree is primary and not early years, I'm looking at needing a 190 visa. This seems to tip me into a more unsure position as it is luck of the draw? It's a lot of money to pay for a skills assessment if we end up not able to make the move. Has anyone any advice? I can't seem to find the data for how many people apply for the 190 visa as a primary teacher and how many get accepted?

Thanks for any help
Seems like a big jump from Canada to Australia, the Australian government are currently trying to lure underpaid teachers promising heaven on earth and there is a real shortage in Australia.
They were in Ireland recently and now going to UK, but buyer be aware. Speaking to a teacher that I know and has a colleague who went over in recent years says it's not always as promised and even they are striking and demanding more money. Main reason like everywhere is the high cost of living/housing crisis and just depends what your main aim is. You said in the past you have property in the UK and run a business, so if it makes sense just depends on your personal circumstances and outcome. Probably best to go to one of the recruitment days.
In a nod to the 'Ten Pound Poms' scheme introduced after the Second World War, a delegation of government and industry officials will visit the UK later this month to lure workers away to fill more than 31,000 vacancies.

They are also on the hunt for miners, plumbers, mechanics and builders.

They promise hard-working Britons can 'have it all' and boast the UK's energy bills – up to £2,600 this year – will cost almost half in Australia, with the savings spent on 183 pints of beer, 110 roast dinners or 500 jars of Marmite.

Police and defence industry minister Paul Papalia also highlighted Western Australia's 'wine regions', 'coral reefs' and 'culinary scene'.

He said: 'Our wages are higher and our cost of living is lower. Our health system is world class. You will be taken care of.

'Many of our ancestors were sent from the UK to Australia as convicts. Now, it would be a crime not to make the move.'
Old Feb 16th 2023, 1:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks for any help
Not 100% up on the requirements for teaching, but I know they want a 4 year degree, or 3 years plus a PGCE. Also to apply for a 190 your skill needs to be on the list for a State or Territory. Have you checked whether Primary Teacher is currently listed for any State?
And with all due respect to the Daily Mail, you would be best advised to speak to a migration agent

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 16th 2023 at 1:57 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And with all due respect to the Daily Mail, you would be best advised to speak to a migration agent
LOL, I loved the bit with the Marmite from DM but it was actually on other news outlets too and they change the wording. This was amusing (lower cost of living):

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/j...252657Teachers, nurses, doctors and police officers are all being actively sought, along with a host of other skilled workers including mechanics, builders, plumbers, dentists, hospitality, and mining.

Central to their efforts will be selling the huge lifestyle advantages on offer in Western Australia compared to Britain and Ireland - higher wages, lower cost of living, an array of housing choices and around 3,200 hours of sunshine per year.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 16th 2023 at 2:15 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 2:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If Canada is still your preferred location then have you explored other potential ways to achieve it? FSW is only one of over 50 visa routes. Just a thought anyway if you would still rather go to Canada than Oz.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not 100% up on the requirements for teaching, but I know they want a 4 year degree, or 3 years plus a PGCE. Also to apply for a 190 your skill needs to be on the list for a State or Territory. Have you checked whether Primary Teacher is currently listed for any State?
Yes, so I have all the requirements. It seems Vic accepts 190 visas for primary teaching too. I just wish there was some data to see if they pick a lot to nominate or pretty much none. We probably just need to take the gamble, but it will be painful if it doesn't pay off!
Old Feb 16th 2023, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If Canada is still your preferred location then have you explored other potential ways to achieve it? FSW is only one of over 50 visa routes. Just a thought anyway if you would still rather go to Canada than Oz.
Due to our circumstances, it makes sense to go for a PR route straight away. That limits us massively and narrows our options down a lot
Old Feb 16th 2023, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Seems like a big jump from Canada to Australia, the Australian government are currently trying to lure underpaid teachers promising heaven on earth and there is a real shortage in Australia.
They were in Ireland recently and now going to UK, but buyer be aware. Speaking to a teacher that I know and has a colleague who went over in recent years says it's not always as promised and even they are striking and demanding more money. Main reason like everywhere is the high cost of living/housing crisis and just depends what your main aim is. You said in the past you have property in the UK and run a business, so if it makes sense just depends on your personal circumstances and outcome. Probably best to go to one of the recruitment days.
In a nod to the 'Ten Pound Poms' scheme introduced after the Second World War, a delegation of government and industry officials will visit the UK later this month to lure workers away to fill more than 31,000 vacancies.

They are also on the hunt for miners, plumbers, mechanics and builders.

They promise hard-working Britons can 'have it all' and boast the UK's energy bills – up to £2,600 this year – will cost almost half in Australia, with the savings spent on 183 pints of beer, 110 roast dinners or 500 jars of Marmite.

Police and defence industry minister Paul Papalia also highlighted Western Australia's 'wine regions', 'coral reefs' and 'culinary scene'.

He said: 'Our wages are higher and our cost of living is lower. Our health system is world class. You will be taken care of.

'Many of our ancestors were sent from the UK to Australia as convicts. Now, it would be a crime not to make the move.'
The recruitment days are a good shout. I'll see if I have one localish to us.
I'm under no illusions that the job will be easier. It is what it is! More that I feel it is a better way of life for my children
Old Feb 16th 2023, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

More that I feel it is a better way of life for my children
That is something that often comes up, but unfortunately no different than the UK or any other European countries. Same first world problems and location/personal situation will determine way of life, not the country.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 1:11 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The recruitment days are a good shout. I'll see if I have one localish to us.
I'm under no illusions that the job will be easier. It is what it is! More that I feel it is a better way of life for my children
Be careful. Do not be suckered in by statements like "They promise hard-working Britons can 'have it all' and boast the UK's energy bills – up to £2,600 this year – will cost almost half in Australia, with the savings spent on 183 pints of beer, 110 roast dinners or 500 jars of Marmite."

Energy bills here are rising too, most beer tests like something that came out of a cat. Rent is horrific, thats if you can find a vacant rental anywhere, food is now overall more expensive than the UK. Back in the 80s that statement would have had some truth in it, but not now, life here is as pricey as in the UK,
Also note that many jobs, including police and teaching, often require a few years in rural or remote locations, as they are where most of the vacancies are. The lifestyle there would be hard to justify as a "better way of life" for most kids from the UK.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are right Pollyanna and recruiters will sell you the same lifestyle talk regardless of location. It's Ok to receive some free information and they might be able to give some more info in relation to Visas, but even in a city with a population of 5 million people all have different lifestyles and not everyone can afford a large villa with direct beach access. A recruiter will only look at the job and not if the job is in a location that you can afford or suits your lifestyle.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 8:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Due to our circumstances, it makes sense to go for a PR route straight away. That limits us massively and narrows our options down a lot
There are over 50 other routes to PR though? Some would require you to go out on a temp visa first until you got PR, but you'd have the PR app underway before you left the UK. Worth exploring anyway although if you're a primary school teacher Canada may be not be the best choice even if you suddenly get an ITA tomorrow (see the forum and Wiki article for info on how tough it'll be to find a full-time job as a teacher).

FWIW, I'd be wary of moving 'for the kids' as often you'll find you've spent £30k on an international move and they're no better off. Hopefully you have other reasons too though. Good luck.
Old Feb 18th 2023, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all,
there are other things at play here, which I won't bore you with. I feel as a family, our lifestyle would be enhanced by being in a different country. Of course we won't know until we do it!
Tbh I might not even try to find employment as a teacher straight away or even at all. There is scope for me to work in the business which we will transfer/start again abroad.
All I do know is that we want PR straight away as we will want to buy property etc and this makes the most sense.
Lots up in the air for now and still very much at the beginning. I think I might just have to hope for it and hope
Old Feb 19th 2023, 2:43 am
Home and Happy

Thanks all,
there are other things at play here, which I won't bore you with. I feel as a family, our lifestyle would be enhanced by being in a different country. Of course we won't know until we do it!
Tbh I might not even try to find employment as a teacher straight away or even at all. There is scope for me to work in the business which we will transfer/start again abroad.
All I do know is that we want PR straight away as we will want to buy property etc and this makes the most sense.
Lots up in the air for now and still very much at the beginning. I think I might just have to hope for it and hope
Going for PR straight away is definitely sensible. We have seen too many families over the years that arrive on a temporary visa, set uo their lives here, then are forced to leave.
Good luck with the research!
Old Feb 21st 2023, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that the job vacancies, especially for teaching, are usually offered in places that no Australian wants to live. I suspect that is what WA has in mind for its poor suckers - yes, yes we have a plum position for you in a lovely spot called Port Hedland. And there will, likely be no escape. Even in Victoria, the nice places are all taken and you could find yourself in Dimboola which, whilst quite pleasant is not Home and Away country. So, dont expect a "better lifestyle" - it'll be different is all, and dont expect to get a teaching job - be prepared to use your skills elsewhere if you do get a visa (older, more experienced teachers are usually bottom of the pack because they cost more which is a disadvantage to self funding schools - bright young graduates are usually preferred because they will go where they are told, do what they are told and cost much much less). If you were a secondary advanced maths/science teacher then it would be different. If you can get PR then that is the way to do it, temporary visas - you should expect to go home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.